Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,448,345 times

Advertisements

Let me jump in.....It's not just men! I grew up in a "car" family. I wasn't allowed to drive until I could fix a flat and put on my own snow tires! My Dad taught me to appreciate a car..no matter what the cost of the vehicle was.
As mentioned, at least in our family, a car is just not transportation....it is a hobby in which we enjoy immensely. My husband is a pure car enthusiast and loves the Exotics. We do not need to feel important...we buy our cars for the enjoyment and for no one but ourselves. I could care less what other people think.
I'm guessing you've never been behind the wheel of a 550HP automobile...or maybe you have and just did not appreciate it's power. Please, do not lump people into one catagory....just because someone has a nice, fast, and powerful car, does not mean he (or she) is in a middle-aged crisis, trying to prove something. If that is the case....My husband and I have been in the middle aged crisis thing since we were in our 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,033,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Let me jump in.....It's not just men! I grew up in a "car" family. I wasn't allowed to drive until I could fix a flat and put on my own snow tires! My Dad taught me to appreciate a car..no matter what the cost of the vehicle was.
As mentioned, at least in our family, a car is just not transportation....it is a hobby in which we enjoy immensely. My husband is a pure car enthusiast and loves the Exotics. We do not need to feel important...we buy our cars for the enjoyment and for no one but ourselves. I could care less what other people think.
I'm guessing you've never been behind the wheel of a 550HP automobile...or maybe you have and just did not appreciate it's power. Please, do not lump people into one catagory....just because someone has a nice, fast, and powerful car, does not mean he (or she) is in a middle-aged crisis, trying to prove something. If that is the case....My husband and I have been in the middle aged crisis thing since we were in our 20's.
great viewpoint.
My wife didn't add any of the mods to her car because she had something to prove, she did them because she wanted to. Same for our daughter ( I luv having 2 tuner girls in the family... ); her bf is running around 500hp in his Honda S2000, and she will be getting a customer turbo set for her TC in the not-to-distant future. Not because she feels she needs it to run with the boys, but that is what she is into and what she enjoys.
Oh, on the middle age crisis thing: i'm in my 40's, act like i'm in my 20's, and my body feels like it's in the 60's.... you only live once, may as well enjoy life to it's fullest!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,448,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
great viewpoint.
My wife didn't add any of the mods to her car because she had something to prove, she did them because she wanted to. Same for our daughter ( I luv having 2 tuner girls in the family... ); her bf is running around 500hp in his Honda S2000, and she will be getting a customer turbo set for her TC in the not-to-distant future. Not because she feels she needs it to run with the boys, but that is what she is into and what she enjoys.
Oh, on the middle age crisis thing: i'm in my 40's, act like i'm in my 20's, and my body feels like it's in the 60's.... you only live once, may as well enjoy life to it's fullest!
How I know the feeling!!!!!!!!!!!
You've seen my status tag at the top, right?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,033,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
How I know the feeling!!!!!!!!!!!
You've seen my status tag at the top, right?

YEP.

one can never have too many of a good thing!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men)
I have to assume that you have never watched the BBC's Top Gear.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
I like big ccars becasue:
1. They can hold my entire family. It is unpleasant and inefficient to have to take two cars every where we go.

2. They can hold a sheet of plywood or drywall (or several sheets), or a large potted plant or a tree or firewood, or ten bags of readymix, or a load of caming gear, or . . . . . .

3. They can pull a trailer/boat/ camper when necessary.

4. It is nice th be able to see over traffic.

5. I can find my vehicle in a parking lot.

6. When I turn my turn signal on, people usually get out of the way.

7. We sometimes need the additional clearance.

8. No one can see whether or not I am wearing pants when I am driving.

I like fast cars becasue:

1. They are fun to drive.

2. They are fun to drive.

3. I am impatient and I do not like to have people in front of me.

4. You do not get bogged down going up steep hills or mountains.

5. sometimes a healthy accelleration can be an important safety feature.

6. They are fund to drive.

7. Many of them actually get decent mileage. For example in my old Camaro Z28 I can get in the very high 20 mpg range if I stay in 6th gear.

8. If someone is driving dangerously or annoying yu, you can just leave them behind.

9. I fully support law enforcement. If it was nto for fast cars, they woudl not be able to write enough tickets to maintain their budgets.

1-. Many fast cars just happen to be the best looing cars on the road too.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,921,041 times
Why do we like horsepower? Because it's badass and manly, thats why . Just messin'.

I remember my friend's dad building a Chevrolet Luv pick-up when I was around 8 years old. Old truck was wore out and I remember how ugly I thought it was. I always wondered why he was fixing that old rag up. Two years later after going to my friends house all the time he was working on it, he had finished painting it and was dropping a new engine in it.

At the time I had no idea what engine it was. A week later I remember him cranking that old truck up and the sound that came out of those pipes was pure monstrous. He took her out to the highway and that truck would smoke the tires as long as he had her foot in her. I remember me and my friend riding in it. I would be in the middle and I would have to move my legs so he could change gears and everytime he did, it would throw you back in the seat. He actually drove it in the ditch leaving the driveway twice trying to gain control and failed to do so. Never really hurt it though.

But anyway thats what happens when you throw a built 350ci small block in a 2500lb Chevy Luv pick-up with a manuel transmission.

Wow, I just rambled on didn't I?

Thats when and why I started liking horsepower.

It's just fun.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,721,762 times
Simple, I like large sedans for the comfort above all else. Modern ones with V6's get 21/26 mpg city/hwy all day, which isn't bad at all. Utility is basically the same as a midsize SUV, since I don't tow anything. Now with a baby I'm looking at something with more cargo space that is more conveniently arranged. Those ''safe'' car seats are very bulky and require extra space when you turn them rear-facing. The most practical solution here seems to be a minivan, but due to styling I'd rather keep a large sedan. The next practical option would be something like a Honda Pilot which is midsize w/ 3 rows of seats, but it is possibly the most butt-ugly SUV out there now (IMO).

The next ride I am seriously considering is a Tahoe. It is actually a little shorter from nose to tail than my current sedan so should fit in the garage a little easier. They ride nicely, are surprisingly easy to maneuver, and the newest ones achieve 20-21 mpg on the highway. But we have a compact SUV/crossover that gets 30-31 on the highway so I can mitigate costs by sometimes using it. The Tahoe has all the room I need/want and I won't look like a complete tool driving it around. Most importantly, I'm busting my ass @ work, so I will reap the rewards of my labor paying cash for something that I want, and not what some worthless individuals think I should be driving. It has nothing to do with penises and testicles.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,045,201 times
Quote:
I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men) feel that they have to have such a big/fast/heavy vehicle? Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand. I'm a 33 yo male and have never understood this at all. I always look for gas mileage, safety ratings, comfort, and styling VS having a huge hunk of steel. Just seems to be a big thing here in the states opposed to most places overseas. Is it a U.S. mentality? Once again, don't get upset with me I'm just trying to understand why this mode of thought is so prevalent here. Thanks.

If this does not excite you, then I'm not going to waste time trying to explain it to you.

YouTube - 408 Mustang Road Test (5-105 mph) No Traction!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,697,018 times
Quote:
I am just curious about something. Why do so many (mostly middle aged American men) feel that they have to have such a big/fast/heavy vehicle? Is it to make up to other things? Is it an overflow of testosterone? What makes a guy feels it has to have a huge gas guzzling motor that blows black smoke? How on earth can this be considered "cool"?
I'm not starting this knock anyone, just trying to understand. I'm a 33 yo male and have never understood this at all. I always look for gas mileage, safety ratings, comfort, and styling VS having a huge hunk of steel. Just seems to be a big thing here in the states opposed to most places overseas. Is it a U.S. mentality? Once again, don't get upset with me I'm just trying to understand why this mode of thought is so prevalent here. Thanks.
I'll assume by the term "mostly middle aged American men" you mean 50 and older. If that is the case these are men who seek comfort ,dependability and reliability first and foremost in what the own as vehicles. In most cases that means a larger vehicle since weight of them also means a better ride.

Older men also understand the value of versatility when it comes to the vehicle they own. Larger vehicles always offer more versatility due simply to the larger enclosed space they offer.

So to "mostly middle aged American men" it isn't about being cool. It's about comfort and versatility and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive