Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times

Advertisements

I just tinted and had a choice between 55 and 40 or something like that.
I chose the darker, wish I'd chosen the lighter.

Tint gives some reflection in the left side mirror. It makes it more difficult to identify following vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:01 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Yeah, years ago I had a black Camaro with limo tint. It looked really sharp and was fine during the the day but at night it was almost impossible to see what kinds of vehicles were around me OR pedestrians. Trust me, it was no fun driving around Chicago late at night in the dead of winter with the windows half down so I could see. All my prior vehicles were tinted to the legal limits and I had no problems.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 10-04-2009 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Pro's
My main reason is so I can whiz in a gatorade bottle in my car & nobody knows. I do this daily. Saves time & pain.

Privacy as you drive down the road. You won't have annoying people look over at you.

Con's
costs money

From the outside it looks crappy on all cars, unless they are black.

Last edited by everwinter; 10-04-2009 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: can't write ****

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
pros: keeps car cooler inside
keeps interior from fading
reduces road glare
reduces headlamp glare
a layer of UV, very light tint on the windshield (illegal almost everywhere) will make a HUGE difference on interior temps too

cons: most tint is illegal
if installed poorly it will bubble and peel
can make it hard to see at night

i had an 05 scion xB with double limo all around and a superlight UV on the windshield
you couldnt see in or out at night and couldnt see in during high noon

loved it, couldnt distinguish the windows from the car lol

Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I find it hard to communicate with the driver of a vehicle that has the drivers door window with dark tint. Some times you want to know if they are motioning you on or you are motioning them on etc. I think it is risky to tint the front seat windows.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Thanks for all the replies you all

Yeah, I didn't think that GPS/Cell phone thing had too much credibility...sounded fishy to me from the beginning.

I'm gonna check with the dealer to see what their price is, and then get a quote from where my friend got his car done (black 2005 fusion...looks really nice).

Quick question: If I were to go out of state for college, would I have to remove my tints to comply with their laws?
First of all I see your from Chicago, Hello neighbor. Any ways say you decide your going to school in Milwaukee or Madison. You are required by Wisconsin state law to get plates, drivers license et cetera within 30 days of residency. So you would need to get WI plates. Meaning once the cops see you are within there jurisdiction to enforce a vehicular law they will enforce it. So lets say you slide through the cracks and leave your IL plates on the camry while living in Wisconsin. The police may cite you once they notice you've been there longer then 30 days, so either way you need to be really careful.

In Wisconsin the biggest agency to enforce vehicle compliance laws would be the state patrol. They focus on everything traffic related. Most municipal departments, county sheriff departments wont bother you for tint. I've personally had WSP stop me for the tint on interstate 90/94. What they did was test it, told me it was illegal I said ok. The trooper then said it's a tedious job and I will need a razor blade and water. Told me good luck and I may be on my way. He never told me to remove it, just told me it was illegal and that it was tedious to remove. Never issued me a fix it ticket or anything.

So drive sanely don't go to low on tint and you may be fine.

Best of luck, Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive