Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I hate tailgaters. They are always in a hurry so i usually pull over & let the loser go. Its not worth the hassle & chance of a accident. I wont brake them though. Thats illegal & dangerous.
Yes, and that is what everyone of us responsible drivers do. NCN and Kentucky dad feel it is ok to slam on their brakes and cause car accidents. To each their own, I just hope I never run into either one on a cross country trip.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I sincerely hope you are a troll just trying to upset everyone, because what you are saying is sick and wrong. You could cause a fatality this way. What if there is a Semi tailgating the driver behind you? I have had my share of tailgaters myself, and I hate when someone does it. I lightly tap the brakes, and that lets them know to get off my A$$. However, I have never slammed on the brakes to forcefully cause an accident. I would love for you to try this in Phoenix where I am from. Hopefully, you it would be in front of a Hummer H2, so you would be the only one injured. You would find Arizona has a percentage of fault law, and you would wind up with an at fault accident that you would rightfully deserve.
"just trying to upset everyone..." Yeah, I thought that at the first sentence, or just as likely venting because someone was tailgating and putting him in jeopardy. I can't count the number of times I've looked at those jerks in the mirror and wished that I could just slam on the brakes. Likewise with the idiots who swerve into your lane and then slow. It's OK to accelerate and ram them, isn't it?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would like to ask some of you another question. When you are on a four lane road, why do you pull closely behind a car and then go around them. It is really not necessary to pull so close in behind the car you are passing. I never get close to a car in front of me, unless I cannot get to the other lane because of traffic. It makes no sense. When I see that I am gaining on a car, I just pull into the other lane and go around it. When there was absolutely no other traffic on the highway, I have had cars pull in behind me so close I could see their facial expression in my rearview mirror. Why would someone do that??
Let me set the record straight (as I said in the 1st sentence of my 1st post to this thread) I personally do not tailgate, do not avocate tailgating and get as aggrevated as the next person when someone is drafting off my bumper. However, I also would never EVER avocate an aggression response to an aggresive act. That makes no sense. If someone wants to drive like an idiot, its not my place or anyone elses to try and "teach them a lesson". I've been driving for over 35 years and have always believed and WILL always believe that defensive driving is the right way to drive. I have never had an accident that was my fault and hope to continue that trend through the rest of my years of driving. How do I handle it? When I get tailgated, I slow down a bit more to put extra space in front of me so I have room to manuver if I need to to avoid an accident. It also gives the idiot behind me that "daylight" he is looking for so he can pass and get away from me. I do not avocate tailgating but I don't believe that answering aggressive driving with an aggressive response will accomplish anything but a scenario that very well could injure myself or some other "innocent person".

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,426 times
The way I handle it is I slow down to the posted limit first.If it contnues on I slow down to 5 under th posted limit until they stop or go around me.Just because I do not speed does not mean I am "barred" from the left lane.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:23 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I hate tailgaters. They are always in a hurry so i usually pull over & let the loser go. Its not worth the hassle & chance of a accident. I wont brake them though. Thats illegal & dangerous.
The whole idea of slamming on your brakes is childish. Are we really supposed to believe that the OP is a good guy when he responds to a dangerous situation by trying to make it even more dangerous? In reality, he's no better than the scam artists who dart in front of you and slam on their brakes so they can sue you for damages.

People like the OP are an excellent reason to drive an 8000# truck with a huge front bumper. If some litigious idiot wants to slam on the brakes trying to cause an accident, its probably cheaper/better to kill them than to injure them. If they happen to be in a 4000# car at the time they're trying to crash into me, I'll be happy to let them bounce around inside their vehicle four times harder than I do.

Furthermore, the danger of tailgating is subjective. If somebody is right on your bumper, you would have a hard time slowing down more than 5mph before they hit you, but if they were 4 seconds behind you, the collision could go from 5mph to 75mph. While a tailgater may have a higher chance of getting into an accident, basic physics also tells us that the accident will also be less severe than if they followed at what we call a reasonable distance.

There's also a difference in what kind of vehicle is behind you. I'd much rather have a motorcycle 1 second behind me than an 18 wheeler two seconds behind me. The motorcycle weighs next to nothing and can stop faster than I can, but the semi can hit me with 80K# of mass at a huge speed differential if I brake faster than he can.

With that being said, you really need to look at what kind of vehicles are where, and how those vehicles are interacting before you start judging the drivers. A Corvette tailgating a pickup really isn't much of a safety issue, but a semi following three seconds behind a motorcycle is a huge safety issue.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 11-05-2009 at 01:45 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
What's the matter KyDad? Wasn't Jon & Kate on TV last night?
//www.city-data.com/forum/celeb...ore-after.html

Like I told you before, you should get a hobby. You have way too much time on your hands.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:12 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Sure I'll ride up your bumper. I'll be in KY next week with my old 3/4 ton Suburban with push bars. "Geeze I don't know officer, I changed lanes and this Dillweed locked up his brakes for no reason."
Go ahead genius. Do that, and say that. YOU will be the one that gets the ticket.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Actually; YES, the accident WOULD be legally your fault.
Sorry, but you are wrong. When you rear-end somebody, the accident is your fault. Period.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
The laws differ from state to state, but common sense and courtesy dictate that you use the left lane for passing so that others can do the same.

Oh wait, common sense and courtesy? Never mind.
Are you not able to read?

He has repeatedly said he was doing 63 mph in a 55 mph zone. 55 mph speed zone roads don't have a passing lane. They are 2 lane roads. Do you understand that?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I usually just toss my half empty beer straight up and behind my truck

I think tailgaiting is law here and you have to do it at 80 mph on the 5, 805 and 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive