Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 AM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
you know, to be fair, they're not all incompetent. i don't particularly care to use them, but in the rare instances i do i have yet to have a problem. my folks use places like these all the time and, knock on wood, they have yet to have a problem as well.

it's easy to jump on the 'every employee at such-and-so-store is an idiot bandwagaon', but really it's usually just a few bad eggs ruining it for everyone else.

Mike
so true

i mean a lot of people in this thread change their own oil, obviously. with little or no mechanical background. i don't see why you'd have to be a rocket scientist to do it. a high school drop out can turn a wrench and pour oil as well as anyone else

just a pet peeve of mine in a country where we like to tell people "get a job!" and "pull your own weight." and once some people do, we call them losers

doesn't seem quite right

i get my oil changed at jiffy lube, despite the bad name they have. they know me now and never try to sell me services, etc. and they clean my windows, top off fluids, and vacuum the interior. good enough for $35 and 15 - 20mins of my time

free coffee and flat screen tvs in the waiting room, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
The main problem with going to a shop is that they cannot fill the oil properly. The last time I was lazy so I went to a oil change place. Sure enough, they overfilled the oil by a quart. This ruins seals and is bad overall for the engine.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The main problem with going to a shop is that they cannot fill the oil properly. The last time I was lazy so I went to a oil change place. Sure enough, they overfilled the oil by a quart. This ruins seals and is bad overall for the engine.
I had this happened to me about 10 years ago when I moved to a new condo where they didn't allow you to do auto work on the parking lot. I took it to Firestone for the oil change. Price was reasonable but when I went to pay, the counter person said "you have to pay more for the extra quart of oil we have to use in your car". I asked to see the service record and surely it stated 6qt. Guess what? That's too much oil.. I made them emptied my oil pan and refill it to the correct amount.

I am not saying all service station are bad but most of them are. I used to use a Jiffy lube that let me bring my own filter and oil and they would charge me $15 to drain and change the filter and fill it up with my own oil.

Speaking of oil change, Advance Auto parts is having a special if your order online. Spend $100 and get a $50 coupon for your next purchase. This is a great deal for you DIYer to stock up on oil and maintenance parts.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:13 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
just a pet peeve of mine in a country where we like to tell people "get a job!" and "pull your own weight." and once some people do, we call them losers

doesn't seem quite right

Well said.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
The main problem with going to a shop is that they cannot fill the oil properly. The last time I was lazy so I went to a oil change place. Sure enough, they overfilled the oil by a quart. T

You're commiting the fallacy of arguing from a special case to a general rule; one shop couldn't fill properly to all shops can't.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,541 times
Quote:
I hope you are joking?
Yes I am kidding, but they did it on Christmas Vacation movie with Chevy Chase and I wonder how many thought that was a good idea.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,613 times
I have always changed my own oil and so did my Dad before me. The city dump has a used oil collection tank as well as a drum for used Radiator fluid. (They take old batteries and tires too.)
When the old oil is draining, I go over the rest of the car making sure everything is in place and not corroding. I Fill windshield washer fluid, check battery terminals, scoop acorns and pine needles out from crevices, shake out the floor mats, toss out old cheerios and squashed grapes from the back seat by the booster seat and check the trunk for seasonal stuff (Shovel and box of sand in Winter, folding chairs and umbrellas in Summer) and check the exhaust pipes for rust. Maybe spray some aluminum paint on the pipes & muffler as anti-rust undercoating.
then transfer the old oil to old Chlorox or milk jugs and stash them in the garage until I go to the dumps.
My Dad always changed the oil with the seasons and I try to keep that in mind but Late Fall, Winter and early Spring can be tough when working outside - but I manage.
Those times I spend puttering around that cars allow me to catch problems early and rest easy when all's well.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're commiting the fallacy of arguing from a special case to a general rule; one shop couldn't fill properly to all shops can't.
No, it has happened pretty much every time at every shop, that is why I started doing it myself.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I change my oil too . I like to find some baby ducks to dump the used oil on. Or I just pour it into a clear stream.
I think I know where this guy lives in Maine...anybody got the # for the Maine PETA chapter?

Don't know how to do multiple quotes, but one guy said some places will only take so much oil in a certain period of time.
I know of several places in my area that will take all the used oil you can bring them. A truck comes by their place every so often and pumps out their tank and writes them out a check. So there must be a market for drain oil.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
So there must be a market for drain oil.
i've been told you can burn used oil in oil-burning furnaces and that it's also used in products like road tar.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive