Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:08 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Honda S2000, good for everyday and fun.
And one of the least-comfortable cars ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
I'd see what a used 370Z goes for, it is a very solid sports car. I'm pretty partial to Vette's too and C6's (2005+) can be had for under $30k.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:41 AM

116 posts, read 364,723 times
370z's are nice, That's what I would get, corvettes are everywhere...dont get a vette unless its a z06 or zr1

Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
You first have to decide if you want a true roadster or some "sporty" coupe in convertible form.

If you want a true roadster under 30K new, there's only one I'm aware of and that's the Mazda Miata MX-5. The Miata is a true driver's car and there are millions of devoted fans out there.

The only other option is the Honda S2000 (about 32-36K new), but they stopped making them in July 09. New ones still sell north of 30K if there are any on the showroom floors for sale.

I do have one, and it is a very comfortable, quick roadster. It isn't a 1/4 mile car, it's a momentum car, so if you like the torque-heavy V8s and V6s, you may not like the S2K (or the Miata). It is a car you should know well before you drive it hard. The power comes on very high in the RPM range, and that also bothers some people. If you want to buy used, I would choose a 2005 or later with low miles and one adult owner. Good ones can be had for 20-22K. Mine had a little under 8K on it when I purchased it -- pretty much a brand new car for much less than new, MSRP. I spent a few months waiting for the right one to show up and purchased it about 10 minutes after the listing went online :-)

The true roadsters in the "upper middle" price range when new, like the BMW Z4 and Porsche Boxster can be had around 30K used (some even lower), but the price/performance/upkeep issues would lead me to buy a new one or not have one at all. If you're pushing yourself to the edge of the price point to get a used car, you run the risk of costly repair making you hate the car (new brakes and higher mile routine service costs on these cars can be high).

If you just want a convertible, there are many choices out there. I'm not familiar with any of them personally. I don't think I'd ever purchase one, but I'm sure they are fine cars.

(Edit: I didn't forget the Saturn and Pontiac Roadsters. I just don't think they're worthy of mention. I assume both product lines are gone or out of business or whatever. I guess one could be had used, but from my conversations with owners and what I've read about them, they just didn't get it right with those cars. I suppose a GM fan would love the turbo charged version for the engine and appearance. They were both a flash in the pan, IMHO.)

Last edited by caution; 11-22-2009 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
And one of the least-comfortable cars ever made.

For you perhaps, but the OP may find them comfy.

My father bought one of the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4s when they first came out because he thought they were very comfy. He's 6'4". I'm 5'3" (or was at that time) and thought they were terribly uncomfy.

Fun as hell, but uncomfy.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Mazda Miata. If you want economic performance, shop for the MazdaSpeed Miata. I think Mazda has official Mazda performance parts for the Miata to make it faster. If you have your heart set on the Porche, consider skipping the traditional 911 and go down to either the Boxster or Cayman.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Honda S2000, good for everyday and fun.
and they are easy to mod to have even more fun. I just had a ride in one with near 500hp, it would put quite the surprise on many vettes and porsches for less $$

Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Either a Miata or a 'vette would provide an exellent driving experience, the top goes down, the Miata is probably the more practical of the 2 - but you can definitely own a good older 'vette for a few years and not lose any money on it -

I have to agree that your budget is over-generous, you can find a good Miata for $15K or less, and I don't mean a beater either.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
There are good choices listed already.

I would 2nd the Honda S2000. It's a lot of fun and loves to be revved high. It only comes with a 6-speed stick-shift, but it's a joy to shift - maybe the best shifter on the market. The Miata is more tame, but a solid choice and great value.

I would also mention the Mazda RX8. It's pretty unique and would fit your bill. It's got rear-swinging half doors adding much practicality for an every-day driver. It can't be had as a convertable, though.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:42 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The OP said he is partial to Porsches. He has $30K to spend.

I don't see why he doesn't just buy a Boxter. Or a 911 Targa.

A C6 Vette would likely have the most performance for the money.

I think the Sky is a terrible choice. Poor overall quality, a dealer network going to pieces, and an attention-grabbing but gaudy look. The Solstice is even less desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive