Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 30,609 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I m planning to change the oil filter for my hyundai 2006 sonata 2.4 L.

I ask one of my friend who is an experienced mechanic about this and he said that the oil will just spill out if I do this.
However, I m heard from the other sources that says that it is fine to do this.

Does it differ with car? or is it same with all the cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
With gas prices at $3 a gallon you are going cheap on oil?
One fillup for me cost $60. I can do a full oil change with Mobil 1 and filter for $25.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucianteater View Post
Hi,

I ask one of my friend who is an experienced mechanic about this and he said that the oil will just spill out if I do this.

Yep! Save money on the oil change so you will have the money to replace the engine in a few thousand miles.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
You won't lose the oil in the engine when you remove the filter. You will only lose the oil in the filter. To prevent spillage, punch a hole in the filter with any sharp object or even a screw driver and let it drain into a container before you remove it.
However, it makes absolutely no sense to change just the filter. The dirty oil in the engine will soon make a new filter a dirty one and defeat the purpose of changing it.
Change the oil and the filter at the same time. Doing one without the other is a waste of time and will definitely shorten engine life.
Especialy if you do a lot of city stop and go driving and the engine doesn't run for long periods of time at sustained engine temps to prevent the build up of condensation caused by short term heating and cooling cycles.
I'm a retired mechanic. I've worked on engines all my life. I can tell immediately when I drop an oil pan if the car has been driven highway miles or stop and go city miles or if oil and filter changes were neglected.
Change your oil and filter. And if you live in a cold winter climate make sure you dont neglect that.
Cold temps make the heating and cooling cycles more severe and the build up of condensation more prominent.
Condensation is water. Water doesn't lubricate moving parts turning at thousands of rpm with only a few thousandths of clearance very well.
And then there are the tiny parts of metal that wear off in the normal operation of any engine.
Ever see what is collected on a magnetic oil drain plug? That silvery looking stuff?
That is metal that causes microscopic wear over time. And if not removed by regular oil changes can cause premature engine failure.
Oil change+filter change=longer engine life.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
This is the stupidest thing I ever heard, so much so that I suspect this is a troll post.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM

206 posts, read 571,772 times
I'm sad to say this isn't the first time I've heard this. People read your manuals. It's all or nothing.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
MotorWeek said that peolple who use synthetic oil (such as Mobile 1) still need to change their oil filter at 3K miles even though the oil won't be changed until 5K+ miles. They said oil filters are shot at 3k miles.

They also said that there are special high mileage oil filters to buy if you don't want to change the filter at 3K miles.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucianteater View Post
Hi,

Why do you want to change the filter, but not the oil? Top quality oil will cost no more than about $15 for a change. In my mind, it's not worth it.

That said, when you change the filter you WILL spill used oil. Not a lot, but some. There's pretty much no way around it. Make sure you have some sort of catch basin under the car to catch the oil, and make sure you have some rags nearby to wipe the oil off your hands and arms.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is the stupidest thing I ever heard, so much so that I suspect this is a troll post.
I smell one too.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:58 AM

432 posts, read 3,659,272 times
Is it okay to change the oil filter with the engine running?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive