Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,150,820 times

Advertisements

I meant a trailer made out of the bed with a shell like this

but this would work too
http://www.mousetrapstorage.com/images/280_Truckbed_trailer_with_camper.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:51 PM

16 posts, read 113,953 times
oh i see

that actually wouldn't be too bad. maybe a Chevy S10 bed and matching cap.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:43 PM

941 posts, read 3,917,603 times
Are you planning an enclosed or open platform trailer?

Apply for a trailer using the homemade trailer rule. Yes, it started out as a Honda Civic, but now it's a trailer...that's still considered homemade.

You can call the NY DMV and be very vague with your questions.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:50 PM

941 posts, read 3,917,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Back in your hole dude! My opinion is as valid as anyones.
No, your worthless opinion is not valid in here. There are gearheads and enthusiasts. You are neither. You come off as an average stick-in-the-mud who thinks he knows everything, but hasn't got a clue. I classify you as a troll in this subforum.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
No, your worthless opinion is not valid in here. There are gearheads and enthusiasts. You are neither. You come off as an average stick-in-the-mud who thinks he knows everything, but hasn't got a clue. I classify you as a troll in this subforum.
Gosh! I didn't know you cared!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,046,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Back in your hole dude! My opinion is as valid as anyones.
I did not take any position on your 'opinion'. I simply pointed out that the OP was not looking for such alternatives, as he stated in a subsequent post.

Your constant sniping at me is not consistent with either the rules here, or very helpful in the discussions that are meant to help other with their inquiries.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,046,442 times
Thanks for the 'thanks', astrofur. Seems to me filmsniffers advice is good too. I think modern truck beds have VINs or hidden identifiers on them too, and the folks I know that have converted them have had no problems related to that around these parts.

I love your original idea BTW, and I have seen similar conversions on motorhead sites. Maybe if can find of those online you could ask these questions to them. Motorcycle touring clubs may be a place to look, I have seen some cool motorcycle trailers made from pieces of old cars there.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,723,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofur View Post
small cargo trailers at Lowes start at about $350

i also have the rear-end out of a pop-up camper, i considered doing something with that but then i thought, what the heck am i gonna do with an open flatbed?
Let's be honest. The little trailer you can buy new, for $350, is crap. Pure crap. Putting an ice cooler on it would probably be an overload.

That said...

I cannot advise you on the licensing procedure, partly because it varies from state to stae.

I assume you know that, no matter what you do, this "trailer" is going to be butt ugly, right? At the same time, it should be very useful.

I think your trickiest part is going to be getting an adequate tongue welded in there so that it's straight and square. Also, make sure the tongue is long enough to clear your bumper of the tow vehicle when you turn.

It has already been mentioned, but you can go to just about any Farm Supply Store and get any and all the trailer parts you need - things like hitch couplers, etc.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 PM

16 posts, read 113,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Let's be honest. The little trailer you can buy new, for $350, is crap. Pure crap. Putting an ice cooler on it would probably be an overload.
lol. i would save up and get a master tow instead

Quote:
I assume you know that, no matter what you do, this "trailer" is going to be butt ugly, right? At the same time, it should be very useful.
yea. its gonna look like total crap. i don't really mind tho, because (i agree) it will be incredibly useful if it works out.

Quote:
I think your trickiest part is going to be getting an adequate tongue welded in there so that it's straight and square. Also, make sure the tongue is long enough to clear your bumper of the tow vehicle when you turn.
thanks for the advice, i will keep this in mind. i am thinking of taking some scrap and bolting together something (its in my back yard right now) and seeing how it works and drag it up to my driveway area. and then probably looking at it and making adjustments, etc. and then having the final setup properly welded into place.

it is going to take me a few weeks to get this going though as my own vehicle still needs some work done and i am currently short on cash.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 672 times
You just have to have it weighted and register it as home make trailer. Once you get that done take it to inspection shop and thay will check the lights and make sure it's safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive