Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'd take a 30 year old rusted out Saab and use as lawn art before I'd drive a new Camaro, Impala, Malibu, Trailblazer or any of that uninspiring junk they make. GM uses an ex-football player to badmouth the Japanese cars...then the idiots in the audience buy it up and purchase these GM trash cans on wheels. Gotta love the all American mindset
Can you blame that mindset? It was the mindset that helped bury the US auto industry. Consumers who bought junk just because it was made in their own backyard showed the marketing geniuses that they'd buy anything...even if it was a Daewoo product with a Chevy badge on it. And they did!

So, I'm watching the Villanova-Montana ballgame and they mentioned that 'Nova shut down it's program after Howie Long graduated. THAT, mi amigo, is not a good omen for GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:00 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
Within months of the GM takeover I hurried up and bought a used mint 1991900 Turbo Convertible b/c I knew GM wasn't going to do anything to maintain SAAB's integrity as a maker of unique automobiles.
I previously had owned a 900TC while in my twenties which was my FAVORITE car of all time.

As a SAAB fanatic I would have much rather seen SAAB pull out of the US market making cool quirky cars that made the brand a standout rather than taking the buyout and loss of its unique identity.

SAAB has long been dead in my eyes...consumed and exploited by mass marketing.

All that remained was the name.

I hope SAAB will primarily be remembered for its earlier years as an independant maker of fine Swedish automobiles..RIP

Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Well I reckon the value of my Saab just dropped by half. Not that it was worth much before.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Honestly, if GM hadn't bought Saab, Saab would have disappeared nearly two decades ago.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But they have a racing pedigree, and that's what matters, right?
Thanks again, fine sir, for yet another wonderful, insightful, beautifully composed response.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Can you blame that mindset? It was the mindset that helped bury the US auto industry. Consumers who bought junk just because it was made in their own backyard showed the marketing geniuses that they'd buy anything...even if it was a Daewoo product with a Chevy badge on it.
Daewoo weren't made in the USA, so technically consumers weren't buying junk made in their own backyards, they were buying junk built from overseas. They actually would have been better off buying cars built in their own backyards. Same goes for people who bought Trackers, Festivas, Prizms, etc. They WOULD have been better off buying American.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thanks again, fine sir, for yet another wonderful, insightful, beautifully composed response.
I aim to please.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:17 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
To analyze GM best you can compare them to the aliens in the movie 'Independence Day.' GM is the locusts of the auto industry, using their wealth to buy smaller makes and bleeding them dry of their resources before moving on to the next take over.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I loved Saabs, I am sad to see them go. But as Steve-o said, GM did the marque no favors.

I was hoping someone would save them and bring the back to (near) what they once were, but in these times I guess that is just not possible.

Eric "on the roof" Carlsson cannot be happy about this.

http://www.saabhistory.com/2009/03/1...80th-birthday/
Well Koenigsegg, the Swedish supercar maker did try and get a deal working for the longest time. The mistake, according to a Norwegian investor in Koenigsegg, was that they played with open cards about their business plan, causing GM to get greedy, trying to overcharge for parts etc.

Saab was close to being saved, but GM chose (through their actions) to let it die instead of cutting their losses.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well Koenigsegg, the Swedish supercar maker did try and get a deal working for the longest time. The mistake, according to a Norwegian investor in Koenigsegg, was that they played with open cards about their business plan, causing GM to get greedy, trying to overcharge for parts etc.

Saab was close to being saved, but GM chose (through their actions) to let it die instead of cutting their losses.
That figures, piling more crap onto years of mismanagement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive