Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 AM

199 posts, read 591,812 times

Advertisements

I bought an electrical switch, and for whatever reason, insisted it be original equipment.

Got bored, and found and aftermarket part...for $100 less!!!!

The aftermarket part even comes with a lifetime warranty!

Is there a general rule of thumb where you can go with aftermarket parts and when you cannot or should not?

With my brake pads, I went with OE and they work fabulously. In retrospect, I don't think electrical switches are any less reliable because they're aftermarket.

I don't know, I feel a bit silly for going OE when I could've saved some serious moolah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Depends on what the part is....

If it will enhance performance in terms of power I'll go aftermarket. I.E. I recnely had a new exhaust put on an 18 year old truck, I told them to install an aftermarket catalytic converter, aftermarket muffler and to increase the pipe size from 2.25 inches to 2.5 inches.

Some things, like O2 sensors I go OE or AC Delco (yes I drive a GM vehicle, not as bad as what some make it sound), because Bosch O2 sensors are junk. Other sensors I'd probably go OE or AC Delco.

One thing I do is shop around...in the case of O2 sensors, the dealer wants $78 for the same part I can buy new for $29-$34 all day on eBay.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
^ What he said.

Sometimes it's not smart to go with the cheaper after-market part. Years ago, when I had a VW Rabbit Diesel, I found out the hard way that it's best to bite the bullet and pay more for Bosch glow plugs. Aftermarket simply did NOT hold up.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of cases where aftermarket parts are not only cheaper, but sometimes have better warranties. I installed an aftermarket starter on my truck this fall. Half the price of a new Delco-Remy. It has a lifetime warranty, which means that for as long as I keep that truck, I'll never have to buy another starter.

So it depends...

Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
the only thing i don't really trust to the aftermarket are electrical parts like sensors, switches, solenoids, etc. i've just had too many bad experience with the aftermarket stuff that go away as soon as i replace them with a new OE part.

Mike

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
I do my research on critical components. There are always aftermarket designs than are better than the originals. There's no way to guarantee quality by totally relying on one or the other.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I have used aftermarket parts without problem usually at a fraction of the cost. Recently bought a relay for $29 made in China instead of the $119 factory part that failed after 12 years. New brake rotors for $45 instead of $120+ for factory parts.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:11 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
New brake rotors for $45 instead of $120+ for factory parts.
You may find it more economically feasible to use quality brake parts over cheap ones. I'm sure you will hear from lots of people that its "unsafe" to run cheap components but in reality they probably have no idea what they are talking about. The material composition of cheap brake stuff versus the expensive is significantly different. Generally the expensive parts last longer... especially concerning rotors. I hate dealing with warped rotors, especially when they warp way before they should.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Depends on your pockets.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:01 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,816 times
Always OEM. I was a parts manager so I get them at a deep discount.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:14 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Depends on the part, the car, and the aftermarket. For most European cars, you can get the Bosch electrics, the Ate brake parts, etc. cheaper in the aftermarket, and they are essentially the same thing as you would get at the dealer, minus the logo. Most Japanese car parts that are not common wear parts, for example the transmission screen in the A-140-E trans in the Camry, although the dealer part is more expensive, it's different and better than what NAPA, etc. will have.

Some aftermarket parts are superior to OEM. Carillo rods for example.

Also depends on the car. I know the OEM pads on the Camry were designed with concern to low noise, long life, other non-enthusiast concerns, I am not part of the target demographic for the car when new, so I feel free to shop around for different/better brake pads. But for the M3, the OEM brake pad was damn-near tailor made for a guy just like me, so I generally go OEM there.

Likewise on the old GM cars - most of the OEM parts are nothing special, and to the extent GM still support them at all, they tend to offer parts that are cost-engineered bodges.

The one thing I will note is that if you buy the cheapest part available, probably you will regret that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive