Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
No, he does not have a right to ride in the middle of the lane. Nobody has a right to impede traffic, especially going 10mph in a 45mph zone. Legally, he needs to be to the far to the right as possible so that other motorists can pass him. I agree with you that going close to him on purpose was wrong, but the way he handled it was not only wrong, but completely illegal. If an officer had seen what I did, I would most likely have gotten a traffic ticket. However, if an officer had seen what he did, he would have been arrested for disorderly conduct at the least. As to the bottom comment, he threatened my life so I feel justified in saying what I said. If would not have had my gun under the seat who knows what would have happened?
Well, I'm not going to pretend I know American laws better than you, so I'm going to assume you are right on the legality of his actions. Here in Norway, a cyclist has the right to the whole lane, just like any other vehicle.

As for your gun wielding story, if you hadn't made a dangerous maneuver in the first place, you would've never been in the situation. Think about it, you could've potentially killed someone over being held up in traffic.

Just because someone behaves like a fool, there's no reason to behave on their level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Does every one here know their US history and understand that the first paved roads were in fact built for bicycles?

Also that bicycles are Legal Vehicles on all roadways except for the Interstate System?

If you don't understand the rights and rules of the road, you have no business operating a motor vehicle. Shame on you.

People often toss about the term "entitlement: these days. I see no greater sense of "entitlement" than those who get behind the wheel of two tons of steel. Driving a motorized automobile is a privilege and a huge huge huge moral and ethical responsiblility. It is not a right! Get that straight in your pretty little heads.

Stop texting, put down the cell phone, get over yourself.

You are out in the general public utilizing a potentially deadly piece of equipment on publicly funded byways.

If you are angry at yourself, angry at your boss, angry at your momma, please seek professional help.

We don't need you folks out on the road.

Thank you.
This is a fine attitude to have, just don't carry it over to the road for your own safety. People are stupid and instigating drivers doesn't seem to work against preventing accidents. There's no point dwelling on laws when there are those who do not follow them.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, I'm not going to pretend I know American laws better than you, so I'm going to assume you are right on the legality of his actions. Here in Norway, a cyclist has the right to the whole lane, just like any other vehicle.

As for your gun wielding story, if you hadn't made a dangerous maneuver in the first place, you would've never been in the situation. Think about it, you could've potentially killed someone over being held up in traffic.

Just because someone behaves like a fool, there's no reason to behave on their level.
Remember, this was 10 years ago when I was only 25 years old. I have grown up a lot since then. As I have said, I now stay away from bicycles no matter how much they aggravate me.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I am not part of the problem cause I stay out of the way of traffic and have never been hit at all, unlike you who has been hit six times so I must be a much safer rider than you. Look, getting hit is completely unacceptable and likely deadly so I will stay out of any vehicles path always.
You are violating the LAW! You are part of the problem...

Moderator cut: Off-topic

I was hit by folks that were either violating the law or not paying attention.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic portion of post

Old 01-23-2010, 10:44 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
You are violating the LAW! You are part of the problem...

I was hit by folks that were either violating the law or not paying attention.
You were hit six times cause you would not get out of the way of traffic. I have never been hit so I have a far better safety record than you.

Moderator cut: Off-topic

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned part of quote and off-topic response

Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
No, we agree. I am referring to people who ride in the middle of the right lane, the right third would be about right from my perspective. That's where I stay when I am on my bicycle.
Gotcha. The word "edge" is the only reason I mentioned it initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
On a 35-45mph road, it's suicidal, since no bicycle can move that fast when cutting across lanes, and usually without a hand signal to attempt to warn another driver what they're about to do. On an empty road, it's fine, but not when traffic is moving at the speed limit, or above. When I ride my bicycle and need to cross a road to the left, I will generally walk it across the intersection, though I have been known to stop at the corner, turn around, and ride on the right across the intersection. It takes a couple of minutes sometimes to wait for the light, but it's safer for a bicycle, IMO.
Traffic may be a lot worse where you are, I don't know. I have yet to see a road around here that I couldn't cross safely if I was willing to wait until there was enough distance between myself and oncoming traffic. I've also cut through parking lots, alleys, etc. in order to get where I need to be safely. If I couldn't get to the left turn lane safely, then I would, in fact, probably turn right and then come back through the light. It's not convenient, but if that's what I had to do to keep from being hit I would do it. But the correct thing to do is to use the turn lane like cars. Of course, if a person can't get to the turn lane then that just wouldn't be an option.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Moderator cut: Removed orphaned quote

They swiched to realistic net ratings instead of overinflated horsepower ratings. You have no counter argument to my statements about the longevity of the 1970s pickups cause here in the twenty teens these trucks that were built in the 1970s are still working hard every day and GM and Ford provide crate engines to keep there trucks from this era going strong every day. The amount of 1970s trucks still around in this country is a incredible testament to there high build quality. My family depends on these excellent trucks every day. As far as bikes go I want to stay safe and alive so that means staying out of the way of traffic. I cannot put my back to traffic and expect them to not hit me so I stay out of vehicles way. Anyone who has been hit six times on a bicycle has low credibility about bike safety.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote

Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It never occurred to me to give bicyclists a second thought until I moved to a city where their sense of entitlement and complete disregard for their own safety and that of those around them was eye-opening. I think it really started when riding a bike became not just a recreational hobby or practical form of transportation but a sociopolitical statement for many. Critical Mass-holes are the absolute worst.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 AM

[mod Removed orphaned quote [/mod]

I am a cyclist who intends to live a long life by staying out of the way of all vehicles. I cannot simply put my back to traffic and expect them to avoid hitting me. Whenever a vehicle comes along, I will simply move out of it's way and I expect to live a long life by doing this. Getting hit six times is a bad thing and I would recomend reevaluating what your doing wrong before getting on a bike again because your own safety is very important.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-25-2010 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
I find it funny that most of the posters saying that bicyclists have to obey the same laws as vehicles are some of the same people who have posted about how much over the speed limit they drive, which brand of radar detector is best to help them break the speed limit or even talk about driving while drunk.

Not taking one side or the other. Just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive