Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 AM

1 posts, read 49,004 times

Advertisements

Pepboys is by far the biggest and has the most opitions when is comes to getting your part. Not to mention there the only auto parts store that has a service center. So good luck getting something installed at AZ, advanced, or OR. So I always choose Pepboys for anything auto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:13 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
Pepboys takes used coolant so they get my vote. Autozone around here is in the hood and they seem to have more spanish speakers than english.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,068 times
I used to be Auto zone only, but have switched to O'Reillys. NAPA lost me in 93 when I needed a timing chain for my 73 Maverick with a 250. They would have had to order it, and the chain and gears were seperatley priced. The chain was $49.95 and the gears were $39.95. Our then new Auto zone had one in stock (also a TRW like NA
PA) complete with gear and chain for $29.95. Guess where I bought mine! But a few years ago I noticed Autozone parts were not very good anymore, so now it's O'Reilly's.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
If I need something fast I go to NAPA. But usually it's online order. My oil I buy at Wally World.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod370z View Post
Pepboys is by far the biggest and has the most opitions when is comes to getting your part. Not to mention there the only auto parts store that has a service center. So good luck getting something installed at AZ, advanced, or OR. So I always choose Pepboys for anything auto.
Around here, at A/Z, Advanced, or O'R, you may see people, and techs turning wrenches in the parking lot for somewhat minor work, like brake work.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I have an Autozone about a mile from my shop and an Advance about 3 or 4 miles, and I drive past the Autozone to get to the Advanced. Autozone staffs their stores with 2 people and one is always in the parking lot, checking batteries and replacing wiper blades. If you go in for a can of something you have to wait because there is no one at the register and the only other guy there is looking up parts for all the customers in front of you.

At least Advanced seems to put more employees on the floor, so I rarely have to wait and I think their parts are a little better. Autozone calls their parts Duralast, but they should be called Don't last. I have stopped buying any parts from them because I have had 2 and 3 of the same part fail, sometimes right out of the box.

Pep Boys is pretty useless, unless you know what you want and just grab it off the shelf.

Don

Old 09-16-2015, 07:21 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Well I work for one of these parts stores and for the most part they are mostly the same as far parts quality go as many of them use the same suppliers, and hire similar people that no nothing about cars and care less about their jobs since they don't pay **** for us to live on.

Napa and Carquest usually has better quality parts, but what people don't know is that O'Reilly's carries name brand products that make parts for Napa and Carquest. Like Gates belts and hoses, Napa and Carquest belts and hoses made by Gates. Napa Suspension is made by Moog which you can get the actual brand at O'Reilly for much cheaper, Shocks and Struts, are made by Monroe, just like what Napa and Carquest sells.

Personally when it comes to Thermostats and Gas Caps, I prefer Napa and Carquest parts as Stant makes them compared to the crappy Motorad Stats and Caps which Vatozone and O'Really sells. Also water pumps are very cheaply made and not manufactured well from the Zone and the "O". Napa pumps are made by Gates, and their quality control is much higher than what you'll find in the no name box brands the other 2 sell.

Batteries made by Johnson Controls which makes batteries for Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly, and Carquest. So at the end of the day, they are all very similar and the only real difference is the prices.

You'd think as parts store, giving advice to customers, and helping them trying to figure out what is wrong with their vehicle (which can end up making a customer waste his or her money on something they might not need), they would hire former mechanics with a lot of knowledge, but they don't, because they pay the same wages as a Micky D's employee and no way in hell will someone with that kind of work experience will settle for low wage job like this.

Many customers don't understand that their might be 1 or 2 counter people up front helping customers, but their might be many more in the back putting away parts, checking in inventory, answering the commercial phone lines, stocking, cleaning up, whatever it may be, and some of them aren't really trained or meant to be working up front. Running a parts store is a lot of work, and takes many people to make it run smoothly.

It's not like going to a grocery store where you're in and out and know what to expect, at a parts store, you will have someone on the phone looking up parts, running to the back to grab a part, dumping oil, talking to a customer for 5 minutes trying to help them, so the service is and will mostly liking be much slower than shopping at a Walmart.

And true, they never hire enough people, or they might have enough employees to do the job, but the companies are so strict and anal about payroll, that they rather sacrifice service and getting things done, in order to make a profit and save money.

Oh and if the store doesn't meet sales expectations or is low volume, then expect to only have a few employee's working their.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Well I work for one of these parts stores and for the most part they are mostly the same as far parts quality go as many of them use the same suppliers, and hire similar people that no nothing about cars and care less about their jobs since they don't pay **** for us to live on.

Napa and Carquest usually has better quality parts, but what people don't know is that O'Reilly's carries name brand products that make parts for Napa and Carquest. Like Gates belts and hoses, Napa and Carquest belts and hoses made by Gates. Napa Suspension is made by Moog which you can get the actual brand at O'Reilly for much cheaper, Shocks and Struts, are made by Monroe, just like what Napa and Carquest sells.

Personally when it comes to Thermostats and Gas Caps, I prefer Napa and Carquest parts as Stant makes them compared to the crappy Motorad Stats and Caps which Vatozone and O'Really sells. Also water pumps are very cheaply made and not manufactured well from the Zone and the "O". Napa pumps are made by Gates, and their quality control is much higher than what you'll find in the no name box brands the other 2 sell.

Batteries made by Johnson Controls which makes batteries for Autozone, Napa, O'Reilly, and Carquest. So at the end of the day, they are all very similar and the only real difference is the prices.

You'd think as parts store, giving advice to customers, and helping them trying to figure out what is wrong with their vehicle (which can end up making a customer waste his or her money on something they might not need), they would hire former mechanics with a lot of knowledge, but they don't, because they pay the same wages as a Micky D's employee and no way in hell will someone with that kind of work experience will settle for low wage job like this.

Many customers don't understand that their might be 1 or 2 counter people up front helping customers, but their might be many more in the back putting away parts, checking in inventory, answering the commercial phone lines, stocking, cleaning up, whatever it may be, and some of them aren't really trained or meant to be working up front. Running a parts store is a lot of work, and takes many people to make it run smoothly.

It's not like going to a grocery store where you're in and out and know what to expect, at a parts store, you will have someone on the phone looking up parts, running to the back to grab a part, dumping oil, talking to a customer for 5 minutes trying to help them, so the service is and will mostly liking be much slower than shopping at a Walmart.

And true, they never hire enough people, or they might have enough employees to do the job, but the companies are so strict and anal about payroll, that they rather sacrifice service and getting things done, in order to make a profit and save money.

Oh and if the store doesn't meet sales expectations or is low volume, then expect to only have a few employee's working their.

Hope this helps.
Great post!!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:33 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,868 times
I have a Pep Boys less than a mile from my house. I use them when I want to get tires mounted or alignment for my BMWs. Their service people are very friendly and get me in and out quickly. I have no complaints about their store.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
O'Reilly for oil change specials. Advance for parts due to order online pickup in store and wide availability of 30 to 40% off coupons along with generous referral portal bonus rates (usually can find 5 to 8 % at ebates or fatwallet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive