Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 52,553 times

Advertisements

I know that the aftermarket chains aren't nearly as good as the independents, but are any of the big chains better than the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
IMO, not really. I shop AZ and Advance because they're the closest. Parts are about the same cost. Availability is about the same. Warranties are about the same. I stand just about as much luck finding a good salesperson at either.

I have noticed that Advanced seems to have awesome sales, though, especially on synthetic oil. The brand varies month to month, but you can usually get 5 qts synthetic and a decent filter for $25-$30. not bad at all!

Mike

Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanF1 View Post
I know that the aftermarket chains aren't nearly as good as the independents, but are any of the big chains better than the others?
More opinions in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...-parts-vs.html

Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Pep Boys is garbage... they have huge stores full of worthless sh*t, they have no database through which the customer can browse for parts, when they do have a part it's a sh*t part, I have never met a competent worker there... ever.

Autozone is pretty bad but not as much so as Pep Boys.

Advance is OK... I use them often. I can actually do all my researching and shopping online before hand and bring in a list of part numbers, my general experience is that they have fairly competent staff. Their stock is mostly comprised of necessary automotive items and not stupid junk like Pep Boys.

If I want out of the normal automotive parts or real high quality stuff I will go to places like NAPA, Car Quest, Parts Plus... etc. Places where they actually use catalogs if necessary, have a highly extensive stock and highly competent workers. A little more expensive but at least I don't need to deal with morons and can count that they will get me the part I need.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:07 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
Pep boys is by far the worst... at least in the service dept. How do you put a steering stabilizer on wrong? The mounts are already there... I have another story but it is fairly long but with similar result. Neither repair was on my vehicle or taken there by my recommendation.

I typically get my parts from the other 3. I haven't noticed a real difference in the parts from either. There are some cost differences and I have found some parts at one that the others don't carry.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM

290 posts, read 921,331 times
Yea every Pep Boys I've been to have been small and unorganized

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I go Checker (Oreilley) and Autozone for all my auto parts. I also hate Pep Boys. I have usually found them to be more expensive with inferior parts. I have never heard of Advance, unless they go by another name here?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
I am lucky. Where I live I have Autozone, Advance and Pep Boys all within 2 miles.. All new stores too. I find myself going to peps more..

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I go to OReillys all the time - mostly because there's a store right down the street from me.

I like the fact that they'll sell name brand parts, as well as their own store brand of the same part.

In the case of the store I go to, there are actually several very knowledgeable counter people - something that is invaluable.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
I usually go to O'reilly simply because it's convenient. Plus they match prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive