Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times

Advertisements

DBW has been used for years on aircraft. If it's good enough for a 747, it should work in your Honda...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
My mother-in-law has a 2010 Toyota Camry. There is a noticeable lag in response to the throttle pedal. I do not know if this is a normal thing with these cars or not or if it has something to do with the recall but regardless, I would not buy one of these cars at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
My 1997 NSX has DBW. It responds perfectly to throttle blips.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
DBW has been used for years on aircraft. If it's good enough for a 747, it should work in your Honda...!
As a retired A&P mechanic I can guarantee that the system used in the 747 or any other aircraft is a LOT more fail-safe than any automotive system!
Not to mention a WHOLE LOT more expensive!
There is quite literally NO comparison!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Even the 747-400 has an old fashioned system to back up the FBW system.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,404 times
One advantage to drive by wire lies in the Land Rover family and their patented Terrain Response system. When you select the 'Snow' or 'Rock Crawl' mode, the throttle become extremely desensitized which is perfect because a jumpy throttle is the last thing you want when tip-toeing over boulders or on a snow-packed road. In 'Sand', the throttle becomes more sensitive because you want to be able to keep your speed up and make quick throttle adjustments.

This is one instance where I would insist on DBW over a cable throttle.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,544 times
New technology does not scare me, like hydraulic brakes scared Henry Ford.

I have probably driven DBW in rentals and did not notice it. It certainly has its advantages, just like hydraulic brakes over mechanical. But, it will likely be years before I own a DBW vehicle since I prefer older cars.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Quote:
Apples and oranges, really.

First, as has been pointed out, the systems in planes likely have multilpe redundant systems in the event of a failure.

Second, planes don't use throttles the same we do in vehicles. I'm making a big assumption here since i'm not a pilot, but i would guess the throttle on a plane is not adjusted anywhere near as often as in a vehicle. Also, in a plane, if it takes a second or two between when the throttle is adjusted and when something happens (granted, this is likely not so much a feature of DBW as it is the physics behind a jet engine, I'm guessing), no big deal. however, in a vehicle, if it takes a bit of time between when I hit the throttle and when the engine responds to it, it's a nuisance at best.

Mike

Old 04-05-2010, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,343 times
I have a mainual 2006 Sentra with DBW and have adjusted to it's driving feel just fine, but still have two concerns. When the car was (luckily) still under warranty, the system failed, leaving me with no accelerator input, just idle speed. I suppose cables can also break, but that has never happened to me in 40 years of driving. As for the second concern, just yesterday I decided to install cruise control, but so far have been unable to locate any aftermarket units that operate with DBW systems.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
I dislike electronic throttle, same reasons. No feel, freaky fuel mappings. Afaik the only car's I've seen with cables recently are some kia's. I think that people are pushing electronic throttle to be able to screw with fuel ecconomy numbers and to give more control to law enforcement.

When I get my next new car I intend to defeat / override it with custom static fuel maps, and a real throttle cable. If you have a choice in the segement you are buying in (doubt it) vote with your feet and show automakers that people prefer throttle cables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive