Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times

Advertisements

get good truck buy a nissan hard body you can find one cheep 4 cilnder with 8 spark plugs lots power for a small truck find one for abut 4.500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 AM

156 posts, read 391,236 times
Does it need to be a light truck? For that price you could buy a very low milage 24v 2wd Dodge ram cummins, a serious workhorse that gets great fuel milage.

Just a suggestion! You would be surprised how efficient these are, coupled with fairly low maintenance.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:03 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I would opt for a Ranger, Tacoma, S-10 or even a Dakota before the Colorado. I hear they are in the shop a lot. Good crash ratings, but not so good overall reviews.
I have a 2005 Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z-71, and am very happy with it. It hasn't spent much time in the shop, and the most serious problem I've had with it was a cracked exhaust manifold. That set me back a bit, but otherwise it's been very reliable with about 140,000 miles on it. It actually continued to run well with the cracked manifold, but it will be due for a smog check soon, and I know it wouldn't pass that way. In over four years of owning my truck, it's probably only spent the equivalent of about eight (full) days in the shop, including routine maintenance. This includes numerous partial days for oil changes, tires, and so on, and maybe four days (one at a time) for major service and repairs. My point is, it hasn't spent much time in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I know two guys with that truck (one with the 5 cylinder and the other has a 4) and they are very happy with them.
Like I said above, I'm happy with mine. It's an '05 with the 3.5l 5 cylinder engine. The newer 5 cylinders are larger (3.7l), and now there's even a V-8 option (on extended cab and crew cab models only).

Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Thanks for all your replies. I just think I would rather go with the 2.9L than the 3.7L 5 cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
get good truck buy a nissan hard body you can find one cheep 4 cilnder with 8 spark plugs lots power for a small truck find one for abut 4.500

I have been looking for those as well. They are harder to find than the S-10s around here. Those trucks run forever.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlug View Post
Does it need to be a light truck? For that price you could buy a very low milage 24v 2wd Dodge ram cummins, a serious workhorse that gets great fuel milage.

Just a suggestion! You would be surprised how efficient these are, coupled with fairly low maintenance.

Well I don't really need a "workhouse" lol. I'm not really putting it to work, just going to be running her on the road a lot. I would love to have a diesel one day but not right now.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlug View Post

Forget the 24v and go for the 12v. I can't get anything LESS than 17mpg in my 2500 4x4, trust me I have tried! Not only that but I can run straight veggie, only the P7100 pumps can truly handle that. Over on the cummins forums you will find 12v guys with million+ miles on ORIGINAL engines.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:28 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Your friend can, if he wants, get the existing seat re-upholstered or buy another seat from a yard, have it re-upholstered, usually pickup seats bolt in and bolt out pretty easy.

From what I have read the 22=R Toy engine will eventually wear through the cam chain guides somewhere around 250K ~ 350K miles, not a huge job to fix, probably better with high miles to at least take a look and change this out before it wears through and causes (what I think I recall to be) an oil to coolant leak...

Somebody who is a 22-R guru should post up and confirm or correct what I posted here.
Well 1985 was the last year for the 22R (carb), 22RE is what you want (fuel injected) . I had an 85 4Runner with the 22 RE and it ran ok until I got rid of it at 215,000 miles. Burned as much oil as gas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive