Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times

Advertisements

Let me see now...30 yrs ago I had a Hernia repair and once in a while the old incision will have a redness and I can pop out some puss...should I complain to the Dr who did the surgery?

Off subject I know...had the other side done a few yrs later and the DR said that the OP room was NOT always 100% sterile.

There are a couple of us (former and now mechanics) on CD who could/should write a book of all the complaints we received in the past yrs of working on cars. How about doing a tune up under the hood and the customers front wheel falls off on his way home. That happened to my dad at his shop...the guy blamed my dad. You don't pull a wheel to change the plugs on a 6 cyl (straight) engine.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 04:07 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
You want me to open a can of Whoop ass ?

What kind of way is that to talk to folks who are trying to help you ?
Reread this post you made:

//www.city-data.com/forum/13430117-post25.html

I would have reacted the same way as the OP too.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:06 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Let me see now...30 yrs ago I had a Hernia repair and once in a while the old incision will have a redness and I can pop out some puss...should I complain to the Dr who did the surgery?

Off subject I know...had the other side done a few yrs later and the DR said that the OP room was NOT always 100% sterile.

There are a couple of us (former and now mechanics) on CD who could/should write a book of all the complaints we received in the past yrs of working on cars. How about doing a tune up under the hood and the customers front wheel falls off on his way home. That happened to my dad at his shop...the guy blamed my dad. You don't pull a wheel to change the plugs on a 6 cyl (straight) engine.

Steve
Let me know when you're ready to start that book. I'm sure I can contribute at least 3 or 4 chapters.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
I assume the guy is mad at me while I offered up some decent info. I knew he would be angery with me too. I don't deal in artifical fantansy well, or calling my trade simple, when I have around $55,000 tied up in tools.

The theromstat moving got me laffin. I appreciate a newbie who doesn't pretend to know something, as they are easier to teach. Then he mixed up AC system with cooling, which proved he knows squat.

I am a biker so that rant slide off easy, and i knew what I had coming. I appologize to anyone including the OP, but he needs to get real.

Midas ain't anything like real. I am just not very danity... Life ain't either.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Question; When was the last time you/me/anyone ever said to a DR or Mechanic...
"are you sure?"...considering that they have had yrs of experience/knowledge that is a LOT more then the person who fills the tank and turns the key.

A DR only has to study two models (male and female) while a mechanic is supposed to know the ins and outs of all the American cars made from yrs back up to the present. In addition he is asked to know many of the foreign makes mfg in the US.

With all these foreign makes there is the Metric system and the Mechanic has to buy a complete set of Metric tools along with specialty tools. (not cheap for quality tools)

Above poster is right on $55k. My old Snap On holds only Metic tools. What about those who work on the French cars...they have their own system of tools. Do recall yrs back where my dad worked on rebuilding the engine and trans of a Citron...he was curious on the workings and bought all the tools needed that later on collected dust.

As to showing the headaches with customers...am going to write a list and post them later on for some laughs.

Steve

Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Guys, I am thinking the OP is female. That does not excuse not knowing what she (he) is doing with the car, or thinking they will get a "real" mechanic at Midas except by luck.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Question; When was the last time you/me/anyone ever said to a DR or Mechanic...
"are you sure?"...considering that they have had yrs of experience/knowledge that is a LOT more then the person who fills the tank and turns the key.

A DR only has to study two models (male and female) while a mechanic is supposed to know the ins and outs of all the American cars made from yrs back up to the present. In addition he is asked to know many of the foreign makes mfg in the US.

With all these foreign makes there is the Metric system and the Mechanic has to buy a complete set of Metric tools along with specialty tools. (not cheap for quality tools)

Above poster is right on $55k. My old Snap On holds only Metic tools. What about those who work on the French cars...they have their own system of tools. Do recall yrs back where my dad worked on rebuilding the engine and trans of a Citron...he was curious on the workings and bought all the tools needed that later on collected dust.

As to showing the headaches with customers...am going to write a list and post them later on for some laughs.

Steve

Steve I used to work on Peugeot, Renault, Citron the SM mostly, V6 , 6 single barrel webber down draft carbs, and air oil suspention, they were metric. I think you are confusing British car, when the British system was Brit standard.. I have those in Snap on too.

I have been called on to fix cars a heck of a lot older than I am, Model T's A's, A 1936 Pylmouth Torpedo Buisiness Coup, 1947 is still before me and that was a real classic jag XK 140.

Others I had never heard of or seen, like Jensen Healy with (3) SU carbs, from the mid 50's.

I didn't do alot of American iron, but did some.

I was called upon to do (2) 1953, 331 hemi Chrystler marine engines , one turning anti clockwise while the other turned clockwise, total engine and V drive overhauls on both. Ya just never know what will come thru the door.

As it is with women, I am finding the same things occur with them and motorcycles. Now i consider a motorcycle a machine made for those willing to get their own hands dirty. It isn't good enough to ride one and drop it at the dealers. That goes for guys too. It is simply a must do to buy the factory book AND then a Clymers book as soon as it comes out.

No book yet I have ever seen was all correct. None Nada, not even Mitchells' LOL the book on the marine engine had the exact same firing order, I knew that was wrong the instant I read it. My Boss did argue that point and LOST.

Sears has no torches and i can't figure out how they do any work at all with out heat. Only place I know that gives techs tools too.

'We' techs own and PAY for our tools, every last one of them. No dealership gives tools to anyone ever.... No independant does either, and not every tech in the shop is a good tech.

Midas and others like Midas are jokes. Any independant can fix the exhaust far cheaper than Midas can.

To me a customer who knows nuthing is respectable even if they make noises... Talk to me is fantasy land speak and i take you for a fool, wanting to impress me. Tell me what i do is simple and i get pissed.

LOL Once I begged a Fiat owner to not do the exhaust repairs, and in stainless steel no less! That no matter what he paid for, I wasn't going to pass his car for state inspection for rust.

He insisted I do this work, so rather than cut down the dead system with torches, I used a chatter gun. He returned just as the car backed off the lift, and he saw the pile of rust that shook off his car, and he said "You made my car rust!" Then he asked about his state sticker and my answer was still NO. I let him off lucky and left the old sticker on which was good for a few days more. I didn't have to.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM

I could be wrong on the Citron. It was in my dads shop (mid 50's)and sat there for 6 months while dad worked on it in his spare time. He was willingly to work on it if the customer was patient. Dad was from the old school and liked to work on a challenge type of car. He even worked on a old 30's RR that belonged to a relative of the Lucky Baldwin Estate in Sierra Madre Ca. It had the large headlites. When he retired I got those oddball size wrenches given to me and passed them on to my mechanic son just in case. I could of sworn it was a Citron because of the strange trans. No biggee ...we learn. I'm talking over 50 yrs ago and trying to pinpoint my memory.

On the Jenson Healy...would that be the three side updraft Carbs. I saw one like that long time ago. Can't recall the make. Maybe I'm thinking of Volvo.

Steve

Old 03-25-2010, 04:04 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Let me know when you're ready to start that book. I'm sure I can contribute at least 3 or 4 chapters.
Me too.

I can also quote many pages of hysterical girly over-reactions to simple facts as have been recently posted by LVD, and the OP.

Some folks don't like to hear the truth, do they ?

Mr LVD, the nice, subtle approach plainly wasn't working for the OP, which myself, and other posters tried, because it didn't seem to get the message across. Therefore, it's time for a different appproach, and a little more plain speaking.
Apparently, the truth hurts, no matter how it's delivered.

And M3 Mitch, Ok, if the OP is female, that would possibly excuse a lack of knowledge about mechanical things, but it's still no excuse for failing to listen to people who are, and throwing the toys out of the pram when nobody tells them what they want to hear.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

And M3 Mitch, Ok, if the OP is female, that would possibly excuse a lack of knowledge about mechanical things, but it's still no excuse for failing to listen to people who are, and throwing the toys out of the pram when nobody tells them what they want to hear.
This is an FYI for everyone. The first icon below your name has a picture of either a man or a woman. The OP has a picture of a girl () so she is indeed a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive