Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times

Advertisements

Despite all the bad press Toyota has gotten lately, their sales are still doing well (relatively speaking since the market in general is so bad). Can you imagine if something like this had happened to Chrysler? No one would go near that brand. I think it says a lot about the strong reputation and goodwill that Toyota has built up that, even with the horror stories about their runaway cars, people haven't given up on them. I can't think of many companies, automotive or otherwise, that could've weathered this much bad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,217,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Despite all the bad press Toyota has gotten lately, their sales are still doing well (relatively speaking since the market in general is so bad). Can you imagine if something like this had happened to Chrysler? No one would go near that brand. I think it says a lot about the strong reputation and goodwill that Toyota has built up that, even with the horror stories about their runaway cars, people haven't given up on them. I can't think of many companies, automotive or otherwise, that could've weathered this much bad news.
It is all about momentum really. Toyota has much of it where Chrysler has relatively little.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It is all about momentum really. Toyota has much of it where Chrysler has relatively little.
With Chrysler, people already know it's junk. That means they're less forgiving.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:

I am a fleet manager and unfortunately, our corporate folks require us to purchase a Chrysler fleet.

To me, Chrysler vehicles get very poor gas mileage. A Jeep Liberty gets about 15 mpg; a Toyota Rav 4 gets closer to 26 mpg

And when you sell the vehicle after three years, you are lucky to get 40% back on a Chrysler and close to 65% on most Toyotas.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
I am curious to see what happens with Chrysler once Fiat starts rolling out it's products. Sounds like further disister to me, but I'd take a Chrysler over a Toyota anyday because I'm not fooled by Toyota. They are no better and probably quite worse.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
but I'd take a Chrysler over a Toyota anyday because I'm not fooled by Toyota. They are no better and probably quite worse.
Only in your dreams.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
I wonder why all the focus is on Toyota. I just read an article that said Ford and other auto makers have models with sudden acceleration issues...

Old 03-18-2010, 04:48 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Only in your dreams.
Too true. After all these years Chrysler is still shoving $8000 car interiors into $30000 cars. They are behind in just about every category and seem to be last in bringing new tech to the table.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:57 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
With Chrysler, people already know it's junk. That means they're less forgiving.
Yup, and it didn't get that rep over night (whether deserved at all times or not).

This is really the first big question mark there's been on Toyota's name in this market...a few more like this, or a long-term decline in their quality (as some believe they are beginning to see) and their name won't be worth near so much, either.

Don't think it'll come to this, but you never know.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I wonder why all the focus is on Toyota. I just read an article that said Ford and other auto makers have models with sudden acceleration issues...
All Automakers have sudden acceleration issues. Honda is #2 on the list. Does that tell you something?

Sudden Acceleration = I pressed the wrong pedal, but it is not my fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive