Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
It's not fast, it's hideous, it's overburdened with useless electronics, the electronics are needlessly complicated and counter-intuitive, it's hideous, it's noisy, it drives like crap (sorry, SH-AWD or whatever fancy name they can come up with doesn't change the fact that it's poorly balanced and drives like crap), it's absolutely hideous, the interior feels like they wanted to go with "modern fighter plane" but used cheap materials, it's tinny-feeling, and it's hideous.

It's a joke pretender of a "luxury" car. I had a guy who bought one and traded out of it 3 days later he hated it so badly.
a person needs to live with a car a lot longer then 3 days to know a car. a new car is like a new bed. its very personal. you gotta keep using it to get used to it

i drove the new Sonata when i got an oil change recently. it was a "tester." drove it around 15 minutes. my impression was a good, solid car. nice ride, good interior, decent power, good handling for its class

certainly not cheap in anyway next to its competitors. its not a "pretender" luxury car. its a nice midsize sedan. if you expect luxury and high end materials on the interior you will be disappointed

gotta rock a Genesis for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I have driven both Fusions and Sonatas at several of my many rental cars during the course of my work. I like the Fusion interiors a bit more than the Sonatas. The Fusions fit my body a bit better (I am 6'2" and weight over 250lbs) I do not drive sports cars much so did not notice much diff in the drive of the rentals models between Fusion and Sonata. The Sonata Stereo system was a little nicer, but not by much. More a preference of familiarity than anything else.

I purchased a 2009 Fusion SEL 6cyl that was a loaner vehicle with 9K miles on it. I paid $11,700 in April of 2009 with the remainder of the factory warranty. I have had zero issues with it and am getting slightly over 26mpg mixed driving (mostly highway), my wife gets just under 23mpg mixed driving (mostly rural neighborhoods and short highway stretches). Her lead foot loves the pickup of the Fusion and I cant complain about the quick response on the highway when I need it.

My wife's only complaint is the headrest styling, but it is fine for me.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post

If by "North Korea" you mean Alabama, then you are correct.
Well then when they go union I'll buy one

Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,998 times
^ yeah but if they go union....you won't be able to afford one!!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Most states have a 5 day return policy. You don't get a full refund but you don't get screwed over but your friend sounds like a complete idiot.

No, they don't. Try 2 seconds worth of Google searching. You can't return a car, and the "Buyer's Remorse" policy only applies if the salesperson came to your house.

Being allowed to return a car is the sole discretion of the selling dealership.

And he isn't my friend, but he is a very smart guy and very nice, who just got overwhelmed by what he thought was a nice car.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
a person needs to live with a car a lot longer then 3 days to know a car. a new car is like a new bed. its very personal. you gotta keep using it to get used to it

i drove the new Sonata when i got an oil change recently. it was a "tester." drove it around 15 minutes. my impression was a good, solid car. nice ride, good interior, decent power, good handling for its class

certainly not cheap in anyway next to its competitors. its not a "pretender" luxury car. its a nice midsize sedan. if you expect luxury and high end materials on the interior you will be disappointed

gotta rock a Genesis for that

We aren't talking about Hyundai.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:45 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
I agree with getmeoutofhere, most states don't allow returns on new cars, so be sure you are comfortable with what you get. Our papers clearly stated that in Virginia we did not have a cooling off period. It probably relates to the drop in value a new car experiences once it's titled and leaves the lot.

And I have a co-worker with a newer Mazda 3, it's a great car for what it is, but it's more of a compact while the Fusion is a mid-size and has more interior room. The first thing I decided after looking at cars was if I wanted a car the size of the Fusion or a car the size of the Mazda 3 which is comparable to the Focus. After looking at these cars in person you'll be able to make a decision easily. To me, any mid-size is worth the extra couple thousand over the compact size. The mid-size cars seem a little better put-together, much more accomodating to passengers, and the larger engine with more torque makes it more likely to last longer.

Last edited by Trevor92; 04-24-2010 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
And I have a co-worker with a newer Mazda 3, it's a great car for what it is, but it's more of a compact while the Fusion is a mid-size and has more interior room. The first thing I decided after looking at cars was if I wanted a car the size of the Fusion or a car the size of the Mazda 3 which is comparable to the Focus. After looking at these cars in person you'll be able to make a decision easily. To me, any mid-size is worth the extra couple thousand over the compact size. The mid-size cars seem a little better put-together, much more accomodating to passengers, and the larger engine with more torque makes it more likely to last longer.
In general, most of that is true, but the Mazda 3 is a bit different. It's positioned somewhat higher than most compact cars, about on par with the Jetta, so it does have more of a midsize feel with regard to craftsmanship, etc. Also, like the Jetta, it does come available with a torquier engine; the 2.5L motor in the Mazda is actually the same one as the Mazda 6 and Fusion, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Well then when they go union I'll buy one
ha. I was never convinced that union jobs were more valuable to society than non-union.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Also, like the Jetta, it does come available with a torquier engine; the 2.5L motor in the Mazda is actually the same one as the Mazda 6 and Fusion, if I'm not mistaken.
Interesting point. I've never actually been in the Jetta or Mazda 3 so I can't compare, but they remind of of a family member's Alero, they do look a little larger than a compact but most of it seemed to go to styling and giving a sports car look to a compact. I could be wrong though, but actually seeing and sitting in both cars would certainly help guide a decision here. I'm on the taller end and I've never been comfortable in any compact because it messes up my hair and cramps my legs, so I just have an aversion to them.

And I should have clarified better on my point about the engine. Most Mazda 3 engines according to Edmunds are 4 cyl, 148 hp, 2.0 L and 135 lb torque. This must be the engine the op is referring to because the upgraded Mazda 3 engine with 4 cyl, 167 hp, 2.5 L with 168 lb torque starts at $19,790, similar to the fusion base price, so I assumed Dub wasn't talking about this one because he mentioned it being a couple thousand less. The base Fusion engine is 4 cyl, 175 hp, 2.5 L, and 172 lb torque, with several upgraded V6 and Hybrid engines also available. Given the technology sharing links between Mazda and Ford, the upgraded Mazda 3 engine is probably a very slight modification from the Fusion base engine. But the main point was I trust torquier engines to last longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive