Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times

Advertisements

Depends on Nebraska law. The insurance co is basically saying the car as a whole is worth less than the parts. Some states may allow you to argue that the value is in the parts. Time to talk to a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Depends on Nebraska law. The insurance co is basically saying the car as a whole is worth less than the parts. Some states may allow you to argue that the value is in the parts. Time to talk to a lawyer.

LOL ...

there's no way you can justify legal time in this matter.

The car is a 1992 vehicle with a FMV not much more than it's scrap value.

You might justify the time to make a claim in small claims court, but given the story as posted ... there's way too many inconsistencies here to pin the loss of the engine on the shop that did the intake manifold repairs.

No way is the poster entitled to a new engine and I doubt a court would find that they're entitled to even a replacement used engine at the shop's expense.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,408 times
Default Hey Sunsprit

Thanks for your knowledge on my issue...but I don't think U read my blog properly....cuz that was the major issue...when I brought it back...a knock in the engine...after I had the intake Manifold replaced!...Please re read...

Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddytires View Post
Thanks for your knowledge on my issue...but I don't think U read my blog properly....cuz that was the major issue...when I brought it back...a knock in the engine...after I had the intake Manifold replaced!...Please re read...

"within 20 minutes I brought it back cuz it was stalling out, no power and there was a weird knock in the engine...which was never there before"
What you've posted is that the "weird knock in the engine" wasn't there when you LEFT THE SHOP from the intake manifold repair work the FIRST TIME. If it had been stalling out, no power, and a weird knock in the engine, you wouldn't have missed those problems trying to drive it away. If you'd tried to drive it away with "no power" and "weird knock", you'd have either not left the shop or been back immediately because the vehicle wasn't driveable.

So, per your posts: the major engine failure apparently happened while driving a short time later.

Did that crankshaft failure result from a direct causation of the intake manifold replacement? There's no oil passages in the intake manifold to affect the oil pressure. The spun bearing is indicative of a lack of lubrication at that point; ie, such low oil pressure due to other reasons that the bearing failed.

The only other possibility is that there was anti-freeze in the oil leading to a lube failure. There would have been very obvious signs of that in the oil but you've not mentioned those signs with all the inspections of the engine, especially upon your first return with the knocking engine.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
The only other possibility is that there was anti-freeze in the oil leading to a lube failure. There would have been very obvious signs of that in the oil but you've not mentioned those signs with all the inspections of the engine, especially upon your first return with the knocking engine.
Exactly.

The main cause of main/rod bearing failure would have been coolant in the oil, and even then it wouldn't have seized immediately.

But if there had been coolant in the oil, the shop guys WOULD have noticed that, because (unless they're complete idiots) they would have been looking for it. And it would have been very obvious. In fact, I'd put 100 to 1 odds on them changing the oil after the manifold gasket work to make absolutely sure that the oil was clean.

To be sure, there ARE unscrupulous and incompetent shops out there. Shoot, just yesterday I dealt with a woman who was in hysterics after taking her car to Firestone and having them tell her she needed about $3,500 worth of work done IMMEDIATELY or she was going to DIE. However, the majority of mechanics John Q Public deals with will be honest and competent. It's likely that this was a last ditch "hail Mary" by the owner, and now he wants to act like the mechanics did something wrong.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
I recently Bought a car from a dealership and two weeks after, the oil started leaking profusely. One day while driving it back to the dealership, the car failed so I had to get it towed to them. I was given a replacement vehicle until they dealership could resolve the issue. They kept my car for 2 months and 10 days. After finally receiving a call from them for me to come in and pick up the car, I asked "so what took you guys so long?" I was told that the engine was damaged due to the oil leak and they had to find another engine and the did but one with way "less" miles on it. Then comes the wait for it to arrive and a reputable mechanic to do the engine exchange. Is this engine change going to affect me or the value of my car in any way???

Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
Similar issue happened to my sister a few years back.
Sister brought her Mazda RX7 to Jiffy Lube in Charlotte NC.
They left the old oil filter gasket on, she got a few blocks and the engine died.
She had to pay a portion of the new engine.
I think J.L. prorated the engine they destroyed .

Old 04-27-2015, 01:51 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammala View Post
I took my car into a shop in Omaha, Nebraska for alot of basically cosmetic work. There was nothing wrong with my engine. One of the things they did, was a routine oil change. They screwed it up and failed to put the drain plug in properly and it fell out a few days later while I was driving on a 70 mile trip. As soon as I new something was wrong, I stopped and called the shop. They admitted fault and towed my car to their shop and worked on it for 2 weeks.

Final result is that the engine is ruined and his insurance company wants to give me what they say is blue book value for the car and total it out for about $1150.00.

My question is this, is the Mechanic "Obligated" to replace the engine that his shop destroyed despite the overall blue book value of the car?

Thanks.

The engine has been replaced back in 2010.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
This sounds like a contrived story. Sort of thing that could happen but never actually does.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:17 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
I've only had one engine blow, and it was in a boat....New C-9 Acerts with a known injector problem. They wanted to swap out all the injectors, and a few weeks later I blew an engine. I was looking at a 25-30K repair. When all was said and done, it was the mechanic who installed a factory defected injector, which led to fuel dumping into the cylinder and melting the piston...If that happened with an independent, I would have probably never found out about it....There is something to be said about having the manufacturer do the work, when the value warrants it.

In the case of an older vehicle, I know from what my friends have told me, and that if your car is worth 2000, and they offer it to you....take it. I'd would bet that the shop could go out and buy a long block, and case closed....shouldn't cost them too much....kind of makes you wonder what kind of shop would jeopardize their reputation with careless work and poor customer fulfillment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive