Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

IMO those that text , or talk, on a cell phone should be subject to arrest for "assault with a deadly weapon" since that is exactly what a vehicle in motion is with a distracted driver.

Those folk's deserve neither sympathy nor quarter when they cause an accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
IMO those that text , or talk, on a cell phone should be subject to arrest for "assault with a deadly weapon" since that is exactly what a vehicle in motion is with a distracted driver.

Those folk's deserve neither sympathy nor quarter when they cause an accident.

The people on this forum are crazy about cell phone usage. Someone else wrote this in a different thread. First off, you mean "possession of a deadly weapon" if they didn't get in an accident. Secondly, I see police reports on a daily basis and I have seen a ticket for cell phone usage like twice since it become law in California. It is hard to give a ticket for that since the officer didn't see it and its extremely easy to delete the last call from your call log. They aren't going to do the paperwork to get your phone usage from your provider unless it was a serious accident.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Then eating, having your puppy/cat/dog or what ever in your lap while driving should be banned also....

Changing the station, CD, heater, A/C, the list can go on for days "why" it should be banned while driving....

Old 04-14-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Then eating, having your puppy/cat/dog or what ever in your lap while driving should be banned also....

Changing the station, CD, heater, A/C, the list can go on for days "why" it should be banned while driving....

Exactly my point. Talking on the phone is just as distractive as talking to a passenger in the vehicle hence why kids with permits aren't allowed to drive with anyone under 25 in CA. I see people of parents reaching back to grab something their kid in a carseat so the kid stopped crying.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
If you did any of these things while doing your practical driving test, would you expect to pass ?

Quote:

Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
If you did any of these things while doing your practical driving test, would you expect to pass ?

Just like everyone drives with hands at 10 and 2. Just like everyone uses their turn signal for every lane change. Just like everyone puts their right shoulder back when backing out of a space. Just like everyone making a complete stop at a 4 way stop and looking both ways twice.

I don't even want to get into all the illegal aftermarket items I see HUNDREDS of times on my daily commute.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:58 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
A test is like any other test....no matter what the test...

You study for the test like you know you should, put the answer down the teacher wants, then when the teacher is away you do it the way you want to accomplish the same mission....

My example....

College math....

The question was...while drawing a blue print up for a store front that is 86 feet long and 1 inch ='s 10 feet on the blue print...how long is the line gonna be on the drawing.

Now common sence would say you divide 10 into 86 giving you the answer...

Not in College math....the teacher wanted to see full blown algebra equation....guess what answer I put on the test? I put the full algebra equation....

Will I do that in the real world....nope i'm gonna divide 86 by 10...

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM

273 posts, read 957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
It is hard to give a ticket for that since the officer didn't see it and its extremely easy to delete the last call from your call log. They aren't going to do the paperwork to get your phone usage from your provider unless it was a serious accident.
Make the paperwork to obtain point in time call records easier. Make it a standard investigative item for both serious and/or suspicious ("no apparent cause") accidents. It should be possible to set this up once, and then just 'push a button'. Once done. it is easier to do than DUI related investigations. Completing any accident paperwork requires time and effort. Insurance settlements/fees and traffic citations should penalize proven violators. This isn't just to make it tough for people to use their toys. Lives and property are at risk.

If something isn't done it will only get worse. People today are addicted to both cell use and texting.Things like gaming and video will become common in cars. Young people growing up with these technologies and have little understanding of the dangers when coupled with driving. Old people are not as adept at multitasking while using these systems. All are contributing to the problem.

(And arrest or penalize others who are violate distracted driving laws too.)

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
Make the paperwork to obtain point in time call records easier. Make it a standard investigative item for both serious and/or suspicious ("no apparent cause") accidents. It should be possible to set this up once, and then just 'push a button'. Once done. it is easier to do than DUI related investigations. Completing any accident paperwork requires time and effort. Insurance settlements/fees and traffic citations should penalize proven violators. This isn't just to make it tough for people to use their toys. Lives and property are at risk.

If something isn't done it will only get worse. People today are addicted to both cell use and texting.Things like gaming and video will become common in cars. Young people growing up with these technologies and have little understanding of the dangers when coupled with driving. Old people are not as adept at multitasking while using these systems. All are contributing to the problem.

(And arrest or penalize others who are violate distracted driving laws too.)
First off, the providers don't enjoy giving a bunch of info out unless they are forced to do so. When a vehicle gets stolen, insurance companies require the insured to order a copy of all calls and texts made for the last 3 months. Even when the account holder makes this type of request, it takes up to a week. Law enforcement needs a warrant or subpoena to obtain cell phone records just like when they want to search someones property. Cell phone records are considered private property, how can they not be? This manhunt on cell phone usage is just like the one made on smokers. I find all the bans on smokers completely ridiculous and I'm not even a smoker.

I really find it funny how people want to pick and chose where the government gets more leverage. Law enforcement is acceptable but people are getting into an unroar over census forms. What a bunch of double standard BS.

Point is, plenty of people do stupid things while driving. If you want to start handling out felonies for being distracted while driving...I guess all of us will be considered criminals. None of us ever use our cell phone while driving? No girls ever apply makeup while driving? No man finishes up tying his tie while at a red light? No one ever goes thru their glove box at a red light? Just because you are stopped doesn't mean you aren't driving. People do all kinds dumb things when a vehicle is stopped thinking its acceptable. Driving is the ability to control a vehicles movement or signals not moving forward or backward. Hence why you can get a DUI while the vehicle is off and you are sleeping in the driver seat. You can still operate the signals.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Your example is irrelevant. Your life, that of your passengers, and/or the life of your victim are important.

School tests are not.

Quote:
A test is like any other test....no matter what the test...

You study for the test like you know you should, put the answer down the teacher wants, then when the teacher is away you do it the way you want to accomplish the same mission....

My example....

College math....

The question was...while drawing a blue print up for a store front that is 86 feet long and 1 inch ='s 10 feet on the blue print...how long is the line gonna be on the drawing.

Now common sence would say you divide 10 into 86 giving you the answer...

Not in College math....the teacher wanted to see full blown algebra equation....guess what answer I put on the test? I put the full algebra equation....

Will I do that in the real world....nope i'm gonna divide 86 by 10...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive