Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
If you did any of these things while doing your practical driving test, would you expect to pass ?
I did two of them, passed with no marks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I use my turn signal for every lane change and even use the turn signal in parking lots. I do look behind my car before backing out of a parking space. I always make a complete stop at a stop sign. I don't always drive with my hands at 10 and 2 because of a bad shoulder. So what's your point textmessager?

Look at you man, be proud of yourself. I assume you are watching the vehicles around you while driving. How often do you see people not use turn signals? Point is, there are plenty of things people do wrong behind the wheel. Often times, they are worse than text messaging. Yes I know, its hard to believe...

I'm starting to think alot of people on here live in a bubble where making cell phone usage while driving into a felony. Have fun with that as the real world with real problems continues without you.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Look at you man, be proud of yourself. I assume you are watching the vehicles around you while driving. How often do you see people not use turn signals? Point is, there are plenty of things people do wrong behind the wheel. Often times, they are worse than text messaging. Yes I know, its hard to believe...

I'm starting to think alot of people on here live in a bubble where making cell phone usage while driving into a felony. Have fun with that as the real world with real problems continues without you.
What makes text messaging worse is that so many young and inexperienced drivers are doing it while driving. I've seen some strange things people do while driving but usually, these strange things are the exception to the drivers on the road. I'm seeing people text messaging more and more often on my daily drive to and from work. With text messaging, your eyes are not on the road and your attention is also not on the road. All your attention and your eyes are focused on your hand held device at the steering wheel. These people are addicted to text messaging to the point that they'll stop whatever they're doing to read and respond to a text. The worst example of this was the video of the driver of a handicap van who was texting while driving when he crashed into stopped traffic. The only time I ever text was when the hurricane took out cell phone voice service but text service was still operating. Used it to let my family know my apartment had electricity and they could come over for a hot shower and save their refrigerated items. Other than occasions like that, there's no need to text. I'll call someone and if they don't answer the phone, I'll leave a voice message. I also don't talk on my cell phone when driving.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 PM

273 posts, read 957,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Would you really want that? They have radar speeding enforcement in Arizona and I believe Nevada is getting it too. So say someone driving FL to CA going 80 the entire way across AZ can get multiple speedng tickets from a drone or satelite. Sounds awesome, huh?
Not sure what you mean here. If you are asking if I want a camera in every car, the answer is no. What I suggested was that cell phone/text records be used to investigate accidents, where they are a possible contributing factor.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
What makes text messaging worse is that so many young and inexperienced drivers are doing it while driving. I've seen some strange things people do while driving but usually, these strange things are the exception to the drivers on the road. I'm seeing people text messaging more and more often on my daily drive to and from work. With text messaging, your eyes are not on the road and your attention is also not on the road. All your attention and your eyes are focused on your hand held device at the steering wheel. These people are addicted to text messaging to the point that they'll stop whatever they're doing to read and respond to a text. The worst example of this was the video of the driver of a handicap van who was texting while driving when he crashed into stopped traffic. The only time I ever text was when the hurricane took out cell phone voice service but text service was still operating. Used it to let my family know my apartment had electricity and they could come over for a hot shower and save their refrigerated items. Other than occasions like that, there's no need to text. I'll call someone and if they don't answer the phone, I'll leave a voice message. I also don't talk on my cell phone when driving.
Congrats, you are being responsible. What you and alot of people on here don't realize is most people are not responsible. Irresponsible people make stupid decisions which include crime hence why prisons are overfilled. When you check out a cities crime stats...you don't see cell usage tickets on there because in all honesty, its really not important.

There are bad drivers everywhere for multiple reasons. Distracted drivers become bad drivers and as much as everyone hates them, making cell phone usage while driving into a felony is just not rational.

For those which like talking on their phone if you get pulled over, you are allowed by law to speak on the phone while driving for medical reasons. I'd put Walgreens on speed dial...

I'd rather have law enforcement focus on sexual predators who commit the same nasty offends over and over instead of dumbass people making dumbass decisions while driving.

I don't want cops to become meter maids in a car.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
If you tried to do math while driving, it would be a distraction too.

Your example is a good indicator of a shortcut, but it is not relevant to this situation, because the consequence of failure is not equal.

I make many shortcuts as I drive, but keep distractions to a minimum
Like I said before...just use that same situation in ANY situation and you will get the same results....

Quote:
Not all the time, however, as a professional driver, my career depends on me holding my licence.

Therefore, I do not break speed limits, run red lights, use phones while driving etc.
I also do not put my life at risk, or other people's.
no text, or phone call is so important that it can't wait a few minutes, or longer until I stop to check it.
So you are contradicting yourself? Please make up my mind....you either follow the rules or you don't...which is it?

Quote:
I'm not quite sure I fully understand your point, but I can tell you now, I spend up to 12 hours on the roads, and there are no stereotypes when it comes to phone use while driving.

It transcends class, gender, race, and everything else.
It's somehow an "acceptable crime", like speeding, or like drunk driving used to be.

It's only acceptable until that 32 year old loser checks his screen at the wrong time, and wipes out your entire family in one go.
then I think folks might have a different view.

It's illegal for a reason.
My statements are for the underlined comments...
It's obvious...

Not in every state...

I think my first statement may have been may have been taken wrong....

My point is, their are stupid people every where....people complain about things...just to complain....if and when it helps them in what ever way...

We can ban everything in the United States....people would still do it....look at Chicago...handguns are banned...do they have them....yep....

Anyway....believe it or not...I think we are talking on the same level...just how we are saying it is different....

Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
We have laws to control those that text while driving but the cops evidently dont think its worth their time to try and enforce them. When was the last time you saw a cop parked outside of any high school where he could catch dozens and dozens of violators every day ?,,You wont and thats a big part of the problem.Cops arent suppose to pick and chose what laws to enforce BUT THEY DO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive