Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:08 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times

Advertisements

^^

That's on top of the fact that when looking at a modified car with wild paint, wheels, engine/exhaust modifications people assume that there is a good chance that this car was driven harder than one that is stock. Of course it would be difficult to tell for sure, but this is the assumption and it makes the vehicle less attractive, which in turn decreases its value because for someone to buy it with its short comings there must be a price advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
^^

That's on top of the fact that when looking at a modified car with wild paint, wheels, engine/exhaust modifications people assume that there is a good chance that this car was driven harder than one that is stock. Of course it would be difficult to tell for sure, but this is the assumption and it makes the vehicle less attractive, which in turn decreases its value because for someone to buy it with its short comings there must be a price advantage.
...Yeah, there's that too.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
^^^You also have to consider if the guy who did the mods knew what the heck he was doing.

I'd hesitate to buy a car if I wasn't sure if it had been through a mod that could shorten the life of the car or be extrordinarily expensive to return it back to the previous condition in the event of 'mod fail'.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
^^

So don't buy a race car if you want one that's been babied. Don't buy a car in poor condition regardless of stock or modified.

I've had ZERO problems selling my ex-slalom race cars and I tell people up front that they've been raced (and if they got trophies, i'll show those, too).

I've been doing this over 30 years and never had a car for sale for more than a week before someone bought it, and never lost money on a modded car, only on stock ones, because there was more competition. I don't really care if the "potential" pool of customers dropped from 50 to 10, as I only have to sell to one. Every one of my modded cars went for more than it would have in stock form, and often considerably more. But I come from the hot rod world where that's the norm.

there's a reason this 1932 Ford Victoria:

is worth less than half of what this 1932 Ford Victoria is:

And there's also a reason my V8 RX7:

Was worth twice as much as a stock one was:

And why I could sell my 740iL now:

For more than I could if it still looked stock, like it did when I bought it 3 years ago:

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
In all fairness Merc63, there's a different marketplace when you're talking about a V8 RX7, as opposed to a more or less stock 3 series with some matte black paint on it.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,836 times
i looked closely at the photos, and you can see imperfections in the vinyl. maybe he smoothed it out afterwards outside of the garage, but if i saw a matte black bmw and there were ripples in the vinyl (assuming as a passer by i thought it was a paint job) i would tell him to take it back cause his paints f"cked up. i congratulate the guy for trying, but he needs to remove it and do it again, cause its not emulating a real matte black paint job.

however that pic in the driveway is awesome.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
So don't buy a race car if you want one that's been babied. Don't buy a car in poor condition regardless of stock or modified.

I've had ZERO problems selling my ex-slalom race cars and I tell people up front that they've been raced (and if they got trophies, i'll show those, too).

I've been doing this over 30 years and never had a car for sale for more than a week before someone bought it, and never lost money on a modded car, only on stock ones, because there was more competition. I don't really care if the "potential" pool of customers dropped from 50 to 10, as I only have to sell to one. Every one of my modded cars went for more than it would have in stock form, and often considerably more. But I come from the hot rod world where that's the norm.

there's a reason this 1932 Ford Victoria:

is worth less than half of what this 1932 Ford Victoria is:

And there's also a reason my V8 RX7:

Was worth twice as much as a stock one was:

And why I could sell my 740iL now:

For more than I could if it still looked stock, like it did when I bought it 3 years ago:
You're looking at specialty cases with the first two cars. There's a good chance no one would even look at them in stock form unless they were an enthusiast and can appreciate the work done. The BMW on the other hand is nothing special, just looks like a wheel change. There's a reason I stated except for rare cases (which I would think a V8 RX7 and a 1932 Ford Victoria would fit...) mods reduce the vehicles resale value. You can put up all the pictures you want, but the fact is that modifications generally lower resale value for a number of reasons. This is indisputable.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:01 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
^^^I think the point is if it's done right a car with mods is worth the money. Otherwise....not so much.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
^^^I think the point is if it's done right a car with mods is worth the money. Otherwise....not so much.
Not so much if the car is done right, but which car is done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive