Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Audi A4 Convertible Softtop (3 yrs old) 7 7.95%
Volvo C70 Convertible Hardtop (3 yrs old) 4 4.55%
Landrover LR3 (4 yrs old) 1 1.14%
Lexus ES350 (2-3 yrs old) 15 17.05%
Volvo S60 or S80 (1-2 years old) 17 19.32%
Camry Hybrid (new or 1 yr old) 18 20.45%
Other 26 29.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,602,105 times

Advertisements

I voted for the Audi A4, why is the camry hybrid on here? Thats just begging for a wreck due to a sticky gas pedal or the countless other problems Toyota has had with cars made between 2007-today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM

747 posts, read 2,763,687 times
Given the intended primary driver, I wanted to vote for the slowest, most dynamically boring car on her shortlist. I narrowed it down to the ES350 and LR3. Given their expected reliability, I chose the Lexus over the Land Rover.

If I had the choice, I'd veto any single-turbo charged cars such as the A4 2.0T or Saab 9-3. With a few rare exceptions, they are almost always 'laggy' especially when paired with an ordinary automatic. Sometimes you need to really accelerate as part of normal driving - merging on to a freeway, going around someone driving erratically, etc. The problem with these cars is that, you step on it and. Nothing. Happens. Immediately. Suddenly there's a surge of power. It's quite disconcerting for an inexperienced driver, at best. At worst, well you can imagine...

Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,153,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
now that is a scary thought for other drivers... a teen girl who has just got her DL texting while driving a Humvee
Well we already KNOW she will be trying to text the first time she is alonr behind the wheel.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,912,828 times
She learned to drive on a huge SUV but she won't be getting one, nor does she want one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm stay away from the hybrid the extra you pay up front for it you will never see in gas saving's go with the gas model or even a tahoe/yukon which is the same as the escalade underneath but half the cost and it won't cost as much to fix if she gets a few dings in it. they are also a nice looking truck in their own right and have all the same saftey features as a escalade.

I just don't think a teen should have 60K luxury SUV as their first car plus they have 400HP V8's and are in RWD 99% of the time she can get her self into trouble real fast with that combo unless she is willing to learn in an empty parking lot how to get out of a slide because a RWD car/truck handles much diffrent than a FWD car in an emergency. If she learn's how to drive it properly then yeah RWD cars are the better choice they offer better handling over FWD cars and tend to be more reliable.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,912,828 times
Whatever
She does not even text that much when she isnt driving so I highly doubt it. She is the type who follows the rules, not all teens are a stereotype you know, I feel bad for them that so many people just clump them all together and make absurd generalizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Well we already KNOW she will be trying to text the first time she is alonr behind the wheel.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,994,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I voted for the Audi A4, why is the camry hybrid on here? Thats just begging for a wreck due to a sticky gas pedal or the countless other problems Toyota has had with cars made between 2007-today

Toyota's are hardly perfect, but to infer that the Audi is going to be more reliable ...

Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 AM

574 posts, read 384,340 times
As much as I love land rovers, they're not reliable if thats what she's looking for........ Lexus would be my choice, even though I love Volvos as well

Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 AM

574 posts, read 384,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
This is implying that Toyota is the only one to have insane recalls

Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 AM

28 posts, read 38,068 times
Not on your list, but one sweet spot for safety, low profile, and practicality (with a bit of quirky charm) would be a late-model Subaru Forester (non-turbo). Only downside in my experience is that the all-wheel drive might incline a young driver to overconfidence in adverse conditions.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:41 AM

9,552 posts, read 4,379,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Lexus or Volvo sedan. The two safest.

It doesn't matter how responsible she is, odds are astronomically high that, as a young first-time driver, she will end up in a wreck.
All of the choices are very safe. Splitting hairs on safety while ignoring bigger discriminators - like maintenance/reliability - doesn't seem like it makes sense. The 2 obvious choices are the Camry or Lexus.

Stay away from SUVs. They handle poorly and you have less margin for error if you make a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive