Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times

Advertisements

Cars, planes, and railroads all run on........oil.

Now what?

"War, terrorism, economic instability -- these are just a few of the reasons to be concerned about our addiction to oil. Here's a list of 10 reasons to be concerned"

10 Reasons to Be Alarmed About Our Catastrophic Oil Addiction | | AlterNet

Now get outta that damn car!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Do you own a car?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
We will always have oil for the future. Oil is used/needed for many things to function.
I was told yrs back from a reliable oil source worker that there is at least a 200 yr supply available...just a matter of drilling while some good producing wells are capped off while we use up the oil from the middle east. He was with Hughes Tool Company.

It is obvious with the number of gallons/barrells of oil coming to the surface in the Gulf of Mexico that we need to harvest the vast supply for our economic needs and keep the prices down to a reasonable level inorder to benefit the economy.

Steve

Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
I'm so sick of this doom-and-gloom B.S. I could crap an oil refinery. Every time the price of oil comes down, one of these little press releases seems to pop up to get the investors all jittery and drive the price back up.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:00 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Now what?

"War, terrorism, economic instability -- these are just a few of the reasons to be concerned about our addiction to oil. Here's a list of 10 reasons to be concerned"

Do you go to a doctor's office or a hospital? Do you drink or eat from plastic containers? Do you use a computer? If you do any of the above then you too are addicted to oil. Do you buy goods (food or clothing)? How do you think those things got to your store?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,093 times
This is an automotive forum where car enthusiast come to discuss their car problems, new upcoming models and how to build mechanical horses.

Maybe your post would be better off in "Frugal living" or "Great debates."

Seems to me this thread is a little off-topic.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:

Now what?

No problem, I'll tell you just like I tell my other tree hugging customers.

I'll be glad to ride my bike out to your house, or other job sites pulling a small wagon with the tools, and parts I need. Might take 4 or 5 trips at the least each way, and I will be billing you from the minute I leave the shop to the minute I get back at the end of the day. Rainy days forget it, windy will slow me down, and if there is a lot of hills, the heart-attack may put a crimp in the timetable as well.

Amazing how fast the "park the big old mean truck/car" attitude changes. And in case you are wondering. No, I have never lost a job for telling anyone that.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Do you go to a doctor's office or a hospital? Do you drink or eat from plastic containers? Do you use a computer? If you do any of the above then you too are addicted to oil. Do you buy goods (food or clothing)? How do you think those things got to your store?
Plastic ,and other oil derivatives, can easily be replaced by metals, paper/cardboard/wood or glass just has they have in the past. Oil is NOT the end all be all for commerce.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
This is an automotive forum where car enthusiast come to discuss their car problems, new upcoming models and how to build mechanical horses.

Maybe your post would be better off in "Frugal living" or "Great debates."

Seems to me this thread is a little off-topic.

I considered that but in the end I figured that if it were not for oil there would be no cars. That said, car owners/drivers (of which I'm but one) must take ownership for their part in our planets fate.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
I considered that but in the end I figured that if it were not for oil there would be no cars. That said, car owners/drivers (of which I'm but one) must take ownership for their part in our planets fate.
no even with no car's natural gas heats alot of peoples home's and makes power so we would still be using it and it is cleaner burning than coal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive