Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM

152 posts, read 583,814 times

Advertisements

169.15 Impeding traffic. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway. "

Another statute may read as follows:
“A person, without authority, shall not block, obstruct, impede, or otherwise interfere with the normal flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic upon a public street or highway in this state, by means of a barricade, object, or device, or with his or her person. This section shall not apply to persons maintaining, rearranging, or constructing public utility facilities in or adjacent to a street or highway. A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.”

In Colo, it stated if you held up three or more vehicles below the posted speed limit you could be ticketed for "impeding traffic".

Notice it says below the speed limit in other words you can't impede traffic while travailing at the speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post
169.15 Impeding traffic. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law or except when the vehicle is temporarily unable to maintain a greater speed due to a combination of the weight of the vehicle and the grade of the highway. "

“A person, without authority, shall not block, obstruct, impede, or otherwise interfere with the normal flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic upon a public street or highway in this state, by means of a barricade, object, or device, or with his or her person. This section shall not apply to persons maintaining, rearranging, or constructing public utility facilities in or adjacent to a street or highway. A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.”

In Colo, it stated if you held up three or more vehicles below the posted speed limit you could be ticketed for "impeding traffic".

Notice it says below the speed limit in other words you can't impede traffic while travailing at the speed limit.
Yes! We need to work to get this clarification into the Texas statutes that speeders so love to quote. Maybe THEN they'd get that the left lane isn't the designated speeding lane.

Thing is, it's not the speeding that bothers me (other than tailgaters who abuse others in the process of getting their fix) - heck, I speed myself sometimes. It's the flat refusing to acknowledge that they're doing anything wrong and that they're responsible for those choices and the consequences of them, whether it be something as simple as being stuck behind a law-abiding citizen doing the right thing or the deaths of people caused by their need for speed.

Man up and take responsibility for the consequences of your own actions, folks! Don't be babies and try to blame anyone and everyone else from law-abiding citizens to TxDOT for the consequences of your decision to speed!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:38 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunisgreat View Post
Because speeding tickets seem much more common than "impeding traffic" tickets.
Don't forget that tickets for going slightly faster than the limit to complete a pass are even more rare than those are.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Don't forget that tickets for going slightly faster than the limit to complete a pass are even more rare than those are.
Problem is it's never really "slightly" faster.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A better question would be, why do you think that the only laws that should be obeyed are the slower traffic keep right or keep right except to pass laws and the speed limit laws are optional?
Kindly point me to where I said anything like that. I'll save your time. I never posted anything like that.

Quote:
And in the scenario in the post that you're responding to, the poster IS in the left lane to pass.
If they're not passing then they are not in the lane to pass. Simple.

Quote:
I'm bolding the parts that you evidently skipped right over in your rush to say that everyone that isn't going as fast as you want should get out of the way.

Originally Posted by nobody2
I really hate when Im going the legal speed limit and come up on a car doing 5 to 10 mph under. I then get in the left lane to pass. As I start passing them they speed up to match my speed. At the same time another car puts his bumper inches from my bumper who btw was just hanging out in the left lane about 200 feet behind me for the last 2 miles. Then they want to drive faster then me all of a sudden. So do I risk having my driving record tarnished, fines, and insurance rates go up, just to cater to the tailgater's sudden need for speed by speeding up to get in front of the car that increased their speed as I was trying to pass them. I dont think so. I will keep driving my current speed in the left lane until that car in the right lane moves out of my way so I can return to the right lane. Im tired of getting treaded on and expected to take it so others can do what ever they want while I have to cater to their wants and nobody cares about my wants. Yes I could slow down and get behind the car I tried to pass in the first place just to have them slow back down to the speed they were going before I tried to pass. I see this crap all the time. I kinda look forward to a mass production of those radar camera systems that send you a ticket through the mail for speeding, just like those red light cameras that are getting popular. They could put them every mile or so and enforce the speed limit 24/7. That would solve alot of this. People could stay in the left lane driving the max speed limit and not worry about having to change lanes every minute like a nascar driver.

So note that nobody2 was not in the left lane until it became necessary to pass someone at which point they moved over into the left lane to do that. At that point the person they were passing sped up to match their speed, and simultaneously someone who had been hanging out in the left lane sped up
(in apparent indignation that someone was in front of them).

So, now, you are chastising nobody2 for doing exactly what the laws you reference say they should be doing in an attempt to justify someone who was doing the exact opposite of what those laws say, just because nobody2 happened to be in their way. Really?
I did not skip over anything. He's just making excuses at why it's his right to block the left lane and screw up everyone else's day. If he's afraid to drive properly then he needs to get off of the road. He is as dangerous as the tailgater. If he refuses to pass then he is not obeying the law.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3700 View Post

The first two quoted statutes do not say that. Only one that you conveniently did not quote. In fact both carefully avoid the words "speed limit".

Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Simply put, its NEVER OK to block the left lane. Never. Doesn't matter if you are speeding or not.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM

And, by the same reasoning, it's NEVER OK to speed. Never. Doesn't matter if you're passing or not. At least, by the statutes of the State of Texas, it's not.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Kindly point me to where I said anything like that. I'll save your time. I never posted anything like that.

If they're not passing then they are not in the lane to pass. Simple.

I did not skip over anything. He's just making excuses at why it's his right to block the left lane and screw up everyone else's day. If he's afraid to drive properly then he needs to get off of the road. He is as dangerous as the tailgater. If he refuses to pass then he is not obeying the law.
Are you even LISTENING to yourself? You're doing everything but dog and pony tricks to prove that the person who's doing the speed limit and in the passing lane to pass someone else is the one in the wrong rather than the person who has decided to tailgate because the person who is legally in the passing lane to pass someone else isn't going fast enough to please them.

I cannot WAIT until the second phase of the expansion of the roadways in Texas that are left lane passing only kicks in; that would be enforcing the speed limit in the left lane. I'm just going to sit back and laugh and laugh and laugh. (You hadn't figured this one out? Get everyone who obeys the speed limit into the right two lanes so that they can easily pick off the speeders? Who will no doubt then whine and cry about being "trapped" because they got caught doing something they KNOW is illegal and wouldn't get "trapped" if they weren't doing it in the first place and how it's NOT THEIR FAULT!!!!)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM

152 posts, read 583,814 times
Reducing a motorist's speed for a minute or two until it is safe to pass does not constitute an impediment or an obstruction.

Nebraska code
(6) On any freeway, or other highway providing for two or more lanes of travel in one direction, vehicles shall not intentionally impede the normal flow of traffic by traveling side by side and at the same speed while in adjacent lanes. This subsection shall not be construed to prevent vehicles from traveling side by side in adjacent lanes because of congested traffic conditions.

Nevada

A person who is driving so slow as to impede traffic immediately behind him must drive “to the extreme right side of the highway” when the highway only has one lane of travel in each direction and the pavement permits such driving. NRS 484.373(1)(a). If the highway has two or more lanes in each direction, the slow driver must drive in the right hand lane except to pass other slowly moving vehicles. NRS 484.373(1)(b). If the driver is moving too slowly on a controlled-access highway (a freeway), the driver must use alternate routes when possible. NRS 484.373(1)(c). Another rule also applies when a slow driver on a highway with only one lane in each direction has five or more vehicles following in a line and passing is unsafe. The slow driver must turn off of the highway at the nearest designated turnout or where a safe turnout exists and the driver can turn off in a safe manner. NRS 484.374(1). A slow driver in this case is one who is driving under the posted speed limit. So, if you are a slow driver or impeding traffic, please move to the right, find an alternate route, or turn off and let cars pass.

Last edited by 3700; 11-05-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive