Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Buggish-looking?? haha Don't think so.

yeah, i definitely think so. by buggish, i dont mean that it resembles a Volkswagon Beetle. i mean characteristics the entire line of Supras, especially older models, reminds me of a small insect.

and yes, they are quick little cars. they are purpose-built for speed and they do what they were made to do. i just dont think that they are sexy-looking. cute-looking, maybe, but not sexy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 05:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Forgive me if I don't trust the judgment of someone who can find any resemblance between a Volkswagen Beetle and a Toyota Supra. I mean, seriously, WTF?

Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
-
Quote:
Sorry, but a Supra and/or Skyline weren't built to be economical. Neither is the Evo or STi, 350Z, 3000GT, NSX, RX7, S2000.
who do you know that owns a Skyline? i'm sure they're pretty impressive, but i have never seen one on the streets. most of those cars that you mentioned fall into the category of the high-end-purpose-built-semi-exotics that i had mentioned earlier
Quote:
-Just because a car has more torque doesn't mean it will dominate, a lot of courses, especially smaller 'curvey' ones as you put it, too much torque and power are the enemy. I think its only surefire in the straights
right right right - but 99% of the time a race will occur on the highway, at a stop light, or at a 1/4 mile drag strip. if i want to drive through a bunch of cones at a course, i might choose an Evo or something like that. if i want the ultimate drive down a windy country road, i would be more enclined to look into the vette.

Quote:
'curvey' ones as you put it
what is that about. did i make a verbal faux pas or something right there.

Quote:
-the reason you don't see 280z today(which there are some out there) because the kind of car's that were imported 30+ years ago were totally unlike the cars today. There are a lot more import monsters on the road today and are much more worth saving vs 30yrs ago
yeah, i guess i can agree with that - other than the use of the term "import monster". the breakdown here is that you and i probably are talking about two different things as it relates to imports. you take an Accura NSX. in 30 years it probably will not need to be restored because it will never get run down - because it is an expensive car to buy new. most better-than-new muscle cars you see today were bought for a few thousand dollars new; ran into the ground, and then restored. and lets go ahead and stop right now with acting like everywhere we go we see NSX's and RX7's all over the place. those cars are rare because they're expensive. most people realize that they can get a V8 Camaro/Firebird for a lot less money and have a faster car. but yes, in 30 years you will see a few semi-exotic Japanese imports in mint condition. Eclipses and Civics? not likely.

Quote:
-and yeah, your Camaro probably is an import if you wanna go there with it.
yeah...thats what i wanna do. my Camaro is an import. and i'm an import tuner. as i only see things in the literal sense.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
WTF? 99% of the time a race will occur on the highway? I thought we were talking legit competition here. Honestly, my car isn't even all the fast but I beat domestics on the highway all the time. The 'real' cars are the ones I usually see at the track that I would not want to race on a highway.

- Those high-end purpose built cars you mention: 3000GTs, Evos, STis, RX7s are the kind of imports I'm talking about (those are the ones I mess with). Like I said earlier, I won't and never will defend anything Civic or the like.
I put the Eclipse/Talon up there with the Evo because it uses the same AWD 4G63 turbo-engine formula (just with a smaller turbo) An Eclipse is nothing like a Civic/Integra. Nothing.

-I don't get it: who's acting like there are RX7s (which are not expensive unless expensive to you is 6-8grand) NSX, Supras all over the place? Sure, they're not as common as your average Toyota Camry but you act as if they cost hundreds of thousands. I see plenty of each of those cars on the road.
What YOU must realize is that everyone doesn't want a V8 Camaro/Firebird all in the name of speed

-Conquests and Starions are hard to find, those cars are over 20 years old but people still build them up, restore them and race 'em.
I'm sure there will be people who restore these things simply because there are people who love these things right now. It's not like a Kia Sephia or something

Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
This is a 1957 Plymouth Fury (318 V-8/290 hp) taking a curve at 90 mph.
I dont see a curve. Looks like your typical American boat, showing its massive body roll. I could crawl inbetween the front right tire and the wheel well.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont see a curve. Looks like your typical American boat, showing its massive body roll. I could crawl inbetween the front right tire and the wheel well.
Oh, here we go with the denials which I have seen on other message boards.
There is a slight lean which means the car can't be going straight!

And you can see what looks like a curb beyond the Plymouth... if the road was straight, the curb would not be bending to the right of the photo.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Oh, here we go with the denials which I have seen on other message boards.
There is a slight lean which means the car can't be going straight!

And you can see what looks like a curb beyond the Plymouth... if the road was straight, the curb would not be bending to the right of the photo.
Looks like its perfoming in some kind of slalom. Either that or its a giant curve of sorts... Anyhow, since you have the article, whats its skidpad/roadholding capability? I dont see a car like that pulling over .7 gs, which is not impressive.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
If you think that is "massive body roll" (which is actually slight), how about these European cars...? They must be "boats," too!

Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Looks like its perfoming in some kind of slalom. Either that or its a giant curve of sorts... Anyhow, since you have the article, whats its skidpad/roadholding capability? I dont see a car like that pulling over .7 gs, which is not impressive.
I don't know if they had tests for gs back then.
But I do have this quote from a Jan., 1957 Mechanix Illustrated of a '57 Plymouth Belvedere road test (written by Tom McCahill):
"As some of you know, I've written books and many articles on foreign sports cars, praising their abilities while tearing down our local products. Today such talk (and it still goes on among the glassy-eyed, close-minded sports car fanatics) is like bucking all over again for William Jennings Bryan as the best man for President.
This new Plymouth would give any sedan in the world- and I include the Mercedes 300S and the Bentley- a rough time in trying to shake it on any road course. (I've said it and I'm glad- it's been over due.)"

Old 08-27-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
If you think that is "massive body roll" (which is actually slight), how about these European cars...? They must be "boats," too!

Yes, the car in that photo shows significant body roll, youve made me a believer that European cars handle bad too. The Europeans make exceptionally well behaved cars, always have. Throw any Audi or any BMW, etc, at any American car (in all classes) and you know who'll come out the winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive