Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
It used to be if I got the ticket desk early enough, the kind attendant behind the counter would take one look at me, have a heart, and give me emergency row or exit row.
That wasn't too long ago, but yeah, you either have to pay $15-20 bucks for an exit row or be blessed with an empty plane. If I were you, I would suck it up and pay it. And it still doesn't hurt to ask to be switched too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Reclining seats should be banned. The way the airlines have positioned the seats, there is just no way the person in front of you can recline without their head practically in your lap. It's offensive and selfish.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

278 posts, read 1,109,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
That wasn't too long ago, but yeah, you either have to pay $15-20 bucks for an exit row or be blessed with an empty plane. If I were you, I would suck it up and pay it. And it still doesn't hurt to ask to be switched too.
if its a full plane and no exit rows available, is it not too much to ask to have some common courtesy to not put your seat back on someone over 6'?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Wow! Which airline do you fly? Most times when I shop for tickets (and, like I said, I HATE flying so I do it as rarely as possible), the exit/emergency seats fall into business class and cost at least $100 more per leg of the trip. If I could upgrade for $15-$20, I'd do it all day long and twice on Sunday. But you're right, ultimately there are options available to secure extra legroom; it's just a matter of availability and cost.

Somewhat off topic, but every time I fly I get the idea to develop an airline that would have nothing but first-class sized seats throughout the entire plane. No extra amenities or first class pampering, just bigger seats. I know it's probably logistically impossible and economically unfeasible, but man, that'd be sweet.

Mike

Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
One of the reasons why I rarely fly commercial anymore unless it's the only option ...

With the standard seatback now pretty much a 90 degree angle, I'm in pain within minutes of sitting down. My body doesn't conform to the seating ... so it's not intentional to cause distress upon the person behind me, but I'm in pain if I can't recline the seat at least a little bit.

I had a NYC to London flight awhile back, and the person in the seat behind me announced as they sat down that they would not allow me to recline my seat at all. They'd already braced their legs against the seat back so that I couldn't do so before they told me that they wouldn't allow it, which I thought was rude, too. I got up to stretch my legs before take-off and the fellow wasn't taller than 5'9" or so, but he'd slumped in the seat so that his legs could brace against the seatback in front of him.

With that long of a flight ahead of me, I asked a FA if they'd find me a seat where I could get more comfortable. Full airplane, they couldn't change my seat ... about an hour into the flight, the fellow relaxed his position for a moment. I slammed the seat back immediately ... not trying to be rude, but seeking relief from my own cramped up back. The fellow started kicking my seat back after that. You'd think he'd have gotten tired doing so for the hours to London, but he didn't stop. If he'd sat up instead of slumping, he couldn't have done that. Neither of us were happy campers when we got off the plane ....

I'm reminded of a phrase from a friend who flies a 747 for a major international air carrier ... "We're not happy 'till you're not happy"

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Depends on how you do it. Sometimes I've even been asked by the person in front of me if it was okay, and I almost always have no problem with it.

Someone who slams their seat back suddenly without giving me time to get my knees out of the way is not a nice person, IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I think if one reclines their seat slightly it is okay. But reclining the seat all the way back is quite inconsiderate.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 43,941 times
I must be considered a rude person then, because even at 5'0" tall I always recline my seat back. The person in front of me has their seat back, so I will do the same. It is incredibly uncomfortable to be squished in that tiny little space, and I am a bit claustrophobic and hate flying anyway, so yes I will do whatever I need to do in order to prevent a panic attack. I'm sorry if this upsets other people or causes them to think I'm rude, but smaller people need the space too. Of course I always feel a little guilty doing it, especially if the person behind me is very tall, but in an already uncomfortable situation, I will place my own comfort and sanity over a that of a stranger. Sorry.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post

what are your thoughts?
How much more comfortable a few hours in an uncomfortable plane are than several weeks or months walking next to a covered wagon and fording uncomfortable rivers, climbing uncomfortable gaps, fending off uncomfortable Indians, getting stuck in uncomfortable snowstorms and risking an uncomfortable death.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
I've had people recline their seat as far back as it will go. I can't do it. I think it is extremely inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation