Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,815,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpa View Post
I must be considered a rude person then, because even at 5'0" tall I always recline my seat back. The person in front of me has their seat back, so I will do the same. It is incredibly uncomfortable to be squished in that tiny little space, and I am a bit claustrophobic and hate flying anyway, so yes I will do whatever I need to do in order to prevent a panic attack. I'm sorry if this upsets other people or causes them to think I'm rude, but smaller people need the space too. Of course I always feel a little guilty doing it, especially if the person behind me is very tall, but in an already uncomfortable situation, I will place my own comfort and sanity over a that of a stranger. Sorry.
No, you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The last flight I was on, the lady in front of me reclined it, and then kept bouncing in it, slamming into my knees over and over.
A similar thing happened to me a while back. I tapped the lady on the shoulder, waved a one dollar bill at her, and said that if she's going to continue to give me a "lap dance", she deserved a "tip." Her seat was upright for the remainder of the flight after that...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
A similar thing happened to me a while back. I tapped the lady on the shoulder, waved a one dollar bill at her, and said that if she's going to continue to give me a "lap dance", she deserved a "tip." Her seat was upright for the remainder of the flight after that...
That would have gotten you slapped across the face if you did it to me, especially if you woke me up.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
That is greatness!!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That would have gotten you slapped across the face if you did it to me, especially if you woke me up.
And I would've contacted the flight attendant, reported the "assault and battery", and proceeded to press charges against you after the plane landed. Keep in mind that your fellow passengers come from all walks of life and that some of them might be attorneys, law enforcement officers, airline employees that are "deadheading", etc. If you act up on a commercial aircraft and slap the wrong person, you might find yourself facing civil and criminal penalties in addition to being placed on the "no fly list."

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
And I would've contacted the flight attendant, reported the "assault and battery", and proceeded to press charges against you after the plane landed. Keep in mind that your fellow passengers come from all walks of life and that some of them might be attorneys, law enforcement officers, airline employees that are "deadheading", etc. If you act up on a commercial aircraft and slap the wrong person, you might find yourself facing civil and criminal penalties in addition to being placed on the "no fly list."
True, repeatedly slamming my seat back into their legs for the rest of the flight might be a better alternative.

By the way, I would have contacted the FA as well and told her that you were being rude and vulgar. My guess is that he or she would agree, and you could just as easily end up on the "No-Fly."

I am slow and careful about reclining, but I do recline. I have some jerk behind me in first class complain about it a few months ago. Seriously, some people need to get a life.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
And we would would have gotten the added treat of seeing her on the evening news.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If someone did that to me I would make it my mission to make sure that the full force of the law was brought to bear on them, criminal and civil. There is no excuse for that.

Quote:
THIS.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
And now you know why FAs treat passengers like kids....because even the adults are.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
YOU'RE claustrophobic? At 5'0"? OK, turn around and look at what you just did to the person behind you and tell me how their 'claustrophobia' is doing. And I could get the 'save myself before others' mentality if it were some 'life or death' situation, but we're not talking about the last life jacket on the Titanic here.

And I don't get the argument some bring that 'The seat reclines so I'm allowed' or 'it's my right'. I have a car that can easily cruise at triple digit speeds all day long. Doesn't mean I do it. And 'right'? It's not a matter of 'rights', it's a matter of physics. Your seat and my knee cannot occupy the same space at the same time.

But you know what really chaps my ass (And really, this is more a rant against humanity than it is against flying)? I was raised to be a kind, considerate person. To hold doors open for folks, to help the stranger get that item off the top shelf in a grocery store, to look out for others, to just be a good person. But honestly, I'm not really sure why my parents bothered because it seems like most people out there are the rudest, cruelest, 'f*** you I'm more important' jackasses I've ever met, and there's more of them everyday. I really wish I could just flip that switch in my head where I could be as much of an absolute a-hole to people as others are, because at 6'7" and 300lbs, I'm pretty sure I'd be good at it. But I can't, so I'll sit in the seat with one kneecap partially dislocated by your seat and the other being banged into by the drink cart every 5 minutes. Hope your flight went well at the expense of making mine just a bit more miserable.

Mike
Kind of like the airlines that require obese people to buy two seats if they can't physically fit in one. Sucks that you're tall, but it's really not the other persons fault. Sucks that I've got a bad back and am likewise in physical discomfort sitting up completely straight, so yeah I'm going to lean my seat back a little bit even thought it really chaps your ass that you only care about your legroom and not how damn uncomfortable for the person in front of you it is to sit at or beyond 90 degrees completely upright with their seat completely up right.

It's no an unpredictable event. We all know that airline seats are small for normal-sized people, which you are not. Either upgrade or just deal with the fact that the space occupied by the seat in the fully upright and fully reclined positions isn't your space; It's shared space. I'll generally be more considerate of the space issues if I'm around large specimens of human kind, but not deferential to the point they get 100% of the shared space, especially if they have an attitude of entitlement. Also pick your flights. A morning flight is far more likely to have people who want to sit up straight and get some work done, something that can't be done the moment seatbacks start going down. On a redeye, 90% of the people are going to have their seats reclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation