Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,514,959 times

Advertisements

I have found many rude things done when flying.
Some of them:
Won't let me put my armrest down.
Reach over me and spill whatever on me.
Put a child who needs supervision next to me
Or is screaming
Won't let me recline
Puts on their electronic device so i
can hear it loudly
Sleeps on my space
Whacks me with their backpack while going
down the aisle.
Hits me in the head with overhead luggage.
How about YOu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,454,141 times
I've flown quite a bit, although, not nearly as much as some, but, can't recall any rudeness.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,158,133 times
I had my tray down and the woman in front of me reclined her seat as much as she could (trying for all the way), jamming the tray into my stomach. She pretended not to hear me feel me tapping her on the shoulder, but by some miracle she heard the flight attendant when I finally got one over to me.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I had my tray down and the woman in front of me reclined her seat as much as she could (trying for all the way), jamming the tray into my stomach. She pretended not to hear me feel me tapping her on the shoulder, but by some miracle she heard the flight attendant when I finally got one over to me.
You must be quite overweight for this to have happened.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:07 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,693,207 times
The tray table is mounted to the seat frame. The seat reclines between the tray arms. The tray does not move when the seat is reclined.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,000 times
Won't let me put my armrest down. I would talk to the flight attendant about this if it ever happened to me.
Reach over me and spill whatever on me. Yes, by the flight attendant. But accidently rather than rude ... it's a moving vehicle, after all.
Put a child who needs supervision next to me Not yet, thank deities!
Or is screaming Not yet, thank deities! But if a child is screaming it doesn't really matter how close that child is ... it's loud!
Won't let me recline I would talk to the flight attendant about this if it ever happened to me.
Puts on their electronic device so i can hear it loudly If it were really intrusively loud, I'd talk to the flight attendant about it.
Sleeps on my space I have no problem elbowing that passenger awake to request they move out of my space.
Whacks me with their backpack while going down the aisle. Yes, and this is nothing other than rude! Passengers should be required to carry backpacks, not wear them, while boarding and un-boarding.
Hits me in the head with overhead luggage. Yes, but this isn't usually rude. It's a zoo during boarding and un-boarding, and people are urged to get their luggage stowed as quickly as possible, so (rarely) accidents happen.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The tray table is mounted to the seat frame. The seat reclines between the tray arms. The tray does not move when the seat is reclined.
With all due respect, that has not been my experience. I have had the tray move noticeably when someone reclined. This has not happened all the time though. It might be that different seats are designed differently in different airplanes.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,693,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
With all due respect, that has not been my experience. I have had the tray move noticeably when someone reclined. This has not happened all the time though. It might be that different seats are designed differently in different airplanes.

Let me make this very clear. I have 25 years as an airline mechanic. I make my living fixing these seats. I have worked on DC-9's, MD-80's, Fokkers, Boeings, Airbus, and Embraer.

If the seat tray was mounted to the back of the seat, the tray would tip down when the seat was reclined. It would spill everything on the floor.

Look at this picture. Big Fat Airline Seats - Jeans And Tie

If you find a crappy airline that mounts trays to the back of a seat, you need to find another airline.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM

6,481 posts, read 6,691,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Let me make this very clear. I have 25 years as an airline mechanic. I make my living fixing these seats. I have worked on DC-9's, MD-80's, Fokkers, Boeings, Airbus, and Embraer.

If the seat tray was mounted to the back of the seat, the tray would tip down when the seat was reclined. It would spill everything on the floor.

Look at this picture. Big Fat Airline Seats - Jeans And Tie

If you find a crappy airline that mounts trays to the back of a seat, you need to find another airline.
I appreciate these comments from an expert! I don't think I saw any posts from you on the thread "Reclining seatback....appropriate or rude?" It got a bit heated. And it certainly had people complaining about the tray smashing into them when the person in front of them reclined.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM

8,500 posts, read 6,913,511 times
Several years ago wife and I were on a flight to Oahu. The wife had a window seat. We were approached by newlyweds on their honeymoon. They had assigned seats in the middle section of the aircraft. We were asked if we minded switching seats. We declined and the young wife threw a fit and started crying indicating we were being cruel and ruining their trip. They finally settled down and returned to their seats.

After the last passengers were seated we noted there was a young man sitting in the seat ahead of my wife rocking back and forth and moaning. He had another person with him who indicated he was being transported from LA to Oahu into a mental institution. The rocking and moaning continued for the entire trip. Quite an experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation