Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I appreciate these comments from an expert! I don't think I saw any posts from you on the thread "Reclining seatback....appropriate or rude?" It got a bit heated. And it certainly had people complaining about the tray smashing into them when the person in front of them reclined.
There needs to be an outline of an average height person sitting behind the drawing of the seat. There is no way whatever is setting on the tray would just fall into the floor. There is not enough space between a person's knees and the back of the seat. It might be that way in first class. I've flown on American, TWA, Continental, Southwest and Delta. Anyone who has sat in coach knows the tray doesn't tip to the floor if it is being used. The contents go into a lap unless the tray is caught and not allowed to spill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,496,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I had my tray down and the woman in front of me reclined her seat as much as she could (trying for all the way), jamming the tray into my stomach. She pretended not to hear me feel me tapping her on the shoulder, but by some miracle she heard the flight attendant when I finally got one over to me.

Me thinks you were hallucinating.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
  • People who have loud conversations, especially if the flight is otherwise quiet (like a red-eye)
  • People who play their DVD players without headphones
  • People with headsets on so loud you can hear "tshee-tshee-tshee-thsee-tshee-tshee-tshee..."
  • People who can't stop talking to you even though you have done everything possible to ignore them
  • People who go to the lavatory 20 times during the flight because they drank too much...and they booked a window seat...and you are sitting in an aisle seat.
  • People who drink too much alcohol and think it's appropriate to act like an obnoxious a-hole
  • People that jam their trash in the seat-back pocket for the next passenger who sits there instead of giving it to the flight attendants who walk up and down the aisle several times with a trash bag
  • People who take out their frustration on the airline employees because they think the employees write the rules...like as if management would actually ask the employees for their input
  • People who loudly and continually complain about an airline, as if there is actually an airline that is always on time every flight, actually has comfortable seats in economy, and actually serves gourmet cuisine, etc.
  • People who dress like they just rolled out of bed (yes, this is rude because people have to look at them)

Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Well I love flying but I fly no more than twice a year.

What I hate:

1. Children screaming and roaring - like seriously, what are you doing on a plane? Get off!
2. Rude Flight attendants.
3. Flight attendants with stupid rules.
4. Folk putting their chairs back.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 AM

692 posts, read 1,004,676 times
Most recently

1 people who grab onto your headrest when walking up and down the aisle. I get you need support but I shouldnt get whiplash.

2 over night flight. People are trying to sleep. A flight attendant kneels down in the aisle to talk to passengers she knows for a good hour and only moves when other passengers need the aisle. I'd expect that from a clueless passenger but an attendant?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Let me make this very clear. I have 25 years as an airline mechanic. I make my living fixing these seats. I have worked on DC-9's, MD-80's, Fokkers, Boeings, Airbus, and Embraer.

If the seat tray was mounted to the back of the seat, the tray would tip down when the seat was reclined. It would spill everything on the floor.

Look at this picture. Big Fat Airline Seats - Jeans And Tie

If you find a crappy airline that mounts trays to the back of a seat, you need to find another airline.
Yeah, you made it clear, but you are Wrong. The tray 'does' move. I'm not over weight. It moves because it pivots, but it does move and it can be very uncomfortable. But then too most of these planes are built to pack people it for more money, they can care less on you comfort.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
There needs to be an outline of an average height person sitting behind the drawing of the seat. There is no way whatever is setting on the tray would just fall into the floor. There is not enough space between a person's knees and the back of the seat. It might be that way in first class. I've flown on American, TWA, Continental, Southwest and Delta. Anyone who has sat in coach knows the tray doesn't tip to the floor if it is being used. The contents go into a lap unless the tray is caught and not allowed to spill.
First class seats have the seat tray folded up in the arm. They are not attached to any other seat.

Nothing falls on the floor because the trays are mounted on arms, not the seat backs. The tray stays flat when the seat is reclined. It wouldn't do that if it was mounted any other way.

And Al G, I'm not wrong. Reclining the seat does not move the tray.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You must be quite overweight for this to have happened.
Wow, thanks for that comment.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,900 times
* Won't let me recline: Once a gang of three behind me intentionally jammed my seat so I can't recline. A flight attendant caught them doing it and set them right.
* Whacks me with their backpack while going down the aisle.
* Hits me in the head with overhead luggage.

* Smarmy flight attendants

Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
With all due respect, that has not been my experience. I have had the tray move noticeably when someone reclined. This has not happened all the time though. It might be that different seats are designed differently in different airplanes.
This si what happened. The tray moved with the seat. I ahve no idea where it was mounted, but when the seat went down so did the tray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation