Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Are there any glider pilots here? Do you agree that training in gliders prior to powered aircraft makes one a better pilot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
I wouldn't necessarily think it's necessary to make you a better pilot, but it will definitely enhance your flight planning, and energy management. We had a glider program at my flight school, using a Super Cub to tow the gliders and approximately 3 gliders in operation most times. The glider pilots really loved flying, and the cheap fun that gliders provided. I do think it'll aid in your flying skills, and this will translate to any type of flying you do after glider flying.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:08 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
I have a glider rating, although I don't consider myself a glider pilot. I trained and tested in a Diamond HK36 motorglider, so I 'only' am rated for 'self-launch'. It definitely made me a better pilot. The extreme yaw tendencies of a short plane with 55' wings really show the importance of rudder control and coordinated turns. Plus the familiarity of knowing that you can accomplish quite a bit with an aircraft that is dead silent. I will add that flying the motorglider, engine on or off, is the most fun I've ever had in my somewhat limited aviation life.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I have a glider rating, although I don't consider myself a glider pilot. I trained and tested in a Diamond HK36 motorglider, so I 'only' am rated for 'self-launch'. It definitely made me a better pilot. The extreme yaw tendencies of a short plane with 55' wings really show the importance of rudder control and coordinated turns. Plus the familiarity of knowing that you can accomplish quite a bit with an aircraft that is dead silent. I will add that flying the motorglider, engine on or off, is the most fun I've ever had in my somewhat limited aviation life.
I would add aerobatic training is great fun and a few hours can take the factor away if you should ever happen to be caught in wake turbulence or some other condition that puts you in an 'unplanned' attitude.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,788 times
I definitely agree that aerobatic training, at least spinning, is important for all pilots. Always good to have some practice in unusual attitudes before something forces you into that situation. But I'm getting old and I don't really enjoy pulling G's anymore. I might be a bit of a flyweight.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I definitely agree that aerobatic training, at least spinning, is important for all pilots. Always good to have some practice in unusual attitudes before something forces you into that situation. But I'm getting old and I don't really enjoy pulling G's anymore. I might be a bit of a flyweight.
The first time my instructor took me through an inside loop I was very close to saying "Maybe we should go back, I don't think this is for me", once it became 'my' airplane that all went away. I was also kinda surprised at how quickly your tolerance for Gs can improve. Of course I was a lot younger then.

It just seems to me that given the right equipment even a gentle split-S demonstrated to new pilots would be beneficial if for no other reason than to reinforce "Fly The Airplane!" being such a great piece of advice.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 PM

337 posts, read 494,937 times
I just started flying hang gliders and many people insist that getting further into the sport will make me a better airplane pilot. I'm not sure if it will or not, but I do know that every HG pilot i've met has been very good and attentive at reading the weather and the winds. You only get one good chance to launch the glider, so doing it right means being observant. Also, flying in wind and tracking a course is very important in hang gliding or you might not make your intended landing zone. Flying efficiently is also very important for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation