Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,269,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Again, the person is gone forever. Why care about notoriety? He didn't accomplish that since we're talking about the plane, not him.

Again, why do you keep questioning someone else's motives and projecting your own?

Why would a person that is gone forever care about ANYTHING? Why care if they left behind assets and life insurance to provide for their loved ones? Why do those who commit suicide often leave a letter? Why do people arrange for headstones and burial plots?

Whether you "get it" or not, a lot of people do care how they are remembered or what impact their departure has on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Again, why do you keep questioning someone else's motives and projecting your own?

Why would a person that is gone forever care about ANYTHING? Why care if they left behind assets and life insurance to provide for their loved ones? Why do those who commit suicide often leave a letter? Why do people arrange for headstones and burial plots?

Whether you "get it" or not, a lot of people do care how they are remembered or what impact their departure has on others.
I get that much. Crashing a 777 just for notoriety, I can’t see. If I’m projecting then so are you. I think your projection is far less credible than mine. Regardless of that, I am not saying your theory is wrong. I just neeed more convincing than you do to believe it.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,269,295 times
Can you "see" crashing an Airbus-A320?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,791,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not trying to exonerate anyone. I'm just not convinced that this was suicide by pilot, based on the information we have now, which is granted not much. It could have been suicide, but I don't think there is enough evidence. The investigation was blunder early on, and I'm not sure we are getting the truth even now. There is too much BS being reported in this case.
  1. So take the latest, most validated information about the flight.
  2. Postulate a sequence of equipment failures that result in precisely that timing, flight path changes, etc.
  3. Include an explanation for why both voice and transponder communication failed - and why there was absolutely no communication from the craft for several hours after the flight changes.
I think you're going to have trouble with that last unless you're going to suggest that a catastrophic failure (1) incapacitated every person on board in a very short timeframe, cabin crew included, (2) disabled all communication and tracking systems and (3) left the plane flying stably and normally for many hours. A surviving pilot, crew, or even teen hacker could have found a way to make the plane "talk" given hours to do it. No one did. Why?

Last edited by Quietude; 05-18-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 10:17 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Can you "see" crashing an Airbus-A320?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Yes, but I see some differences between tat and what you are claiming happened. I do think suicide could be a possibility, I never denied that.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:03 PM

15,467 posts, read 9,149,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I get that much. Crashing a 777 just for notoriety, I can’t see. If I’m projecting then so are you. I think your projection is far less credible than mine. Regardless of that, I am not saying your theory is wrong. I just neeed more convincing than you do to believe it.
It's seems we have two groups here. The first group who have joined a witch hunt, and have already decided that the pilot is a mass murderer, and don't want to hear any evidence to the contrary. And the rest of us who are still looking at all the possibilities before we jump to conclusions.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,791,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's seems we have two groups here. The first group who have joined a witch hunt, and have already decided that the pilot is a mass murderer, and don't want to hear any evidence to the contrary. And the rest of us who are still looking at all the possibilities before we jump to conclusions.
Yeah, there's two groups here, all right.

One that sees a pretty simple and linear narrative that's real, real mean to one guy, and another that's so determined to stay "open minded" that an incredibly complex and unlikely sequence of events, largely speculative, seems kinder.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
  1. So take the latest, most validated information about the flight.
  2. Postulate a sequence of equipment failures that result in precisely that timing, flight path changes, etc.
  3. Include an explanation for why both voice and transponder communication failed - and why there was absolutely no communication from the craft for several hours after the flight changes.
I think you're going to have trouble with that last unless you're going to suggest that a catastrophic failure (1) incapacitated every person on board in a very short timeframe, cabin crew included, (2) disabled all communication and tracking systems and (3) left the plane flying stably and normally for many hours. A surviving pilot, crew, or even teen hacker could have found a way to make the plane "talk" given hours to do it. No one did. Why?
I have no trouble with that, at all. A fire, explosion, or some other major trauma to the plane, could have knocked out the communications, the tracking, and other systems without causing enough damage to make the plane unairworthy, or unflyable. Aloha Airlines Flight 243 proved that modern jetliners, can suffer major damage and still stay in the air. As long as the engines are operating, the plane will generally continue flying. An emergency that would knock out so many systems, would likely impair many or all of the persons on the plane. For example from smoke inhalation.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:41 PM

581 posts, read 457,579 times
My hesitation on the electrical theory is this:

If communications were lost but pilots, crew and passengers were alive the whole time, why didn't anybody get on a cell phone and try to contact the ground? Even on United 93 passengers were leaving voice mails for loved ones.

If the cargo fire theory is true and pilots and passengers were incapacitated, what is the likelihood a B777 loaded with fuel would have flown for six plus hours and not exploded mid-air closer to land?

I know there was speculation about a rapid decompression, but we just saw a Chinese pilot nearly get sucked out the window at 32,000 ft., and they still managed to land safely.

Yes, there's holes in the suicide theory, but the mechanical failure theory has plenty of holes as well.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
My hesitation on the electrical theory is this:

If communications were lost but pilots, crew and passengers were alive the whole time, why didn't anybody get on a cell phone and try to contact the ground? Even on United 93 passengers were leaving voice mails for loved ones.

If the cargo fire theory is true and pilots and passengers were incapacitated, what is the likelihood a B777 loaded with fuel would have flown for six plus hours and not exploded mid-air closer to land?

I know there was speculation about a rapid decompression, but we just saw a Chinese pilot nearly get sucked out the window at 32,000 ft., and they still managed to land safely.

Yes, there's holes in the suicide theory, but the mechanical failure theory has plenty of holes as well.
Cell phones need to be in range of a cell phone tower. Example: over land at very low altitude. MH370 would not have been in range of cell phone towers. Most calls on Flight 93 were from seat phones, not cell phones. The two documented cell phone calls from 93 were from when and the plane was at low altitude, and they were disconnected soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation