Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM

797 posts, read 1,763,435 times

Advertisements

So I am trying to figure out what others have done. This will be our first trip as a family. We have myself, my hubby, my daughter that we bought a seat for, and my child young enough to sit on my lap. Both the kids will need car seats for our rental car, so we plan on seating my child that we paid for a seat to sit in her car seat on the plane. My question is can my other child have her car seat count as a carry on item?

I called United and the rep was so confused. She said that the stroller and car seat will be checked for free. I explained that I don't want them checked because i don't want them to get damaged and also I want them readily available for when the plane lands. (A friend that checked a car seat said that the airport lost it and when she arrived to her destination she had to rely on a rental car seat. she said the rental car seat was beat up, smelled, and that enterprise couldn't guarantee it had never been in a crash before.. So I am definitely not looking to rent one).

The United rep put me on hold and said she decided to switch our seats to the front row of economy so that we could bring our stroller and car seat for my daughter sitting on my lap...

Anyone have experience with this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 11:45 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,444,943 times
You might want to try your question in the Travel forum.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
You might want to try your question in the Travel forum.

Ooh good idea. I'm new here so still navigating the site. Thanks for the tip

Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM

11,176 posts, read 8,048,590 times
Due to limited space in airplane cabins if your item doesn't fit in the overhead bin or under your seat.. It will have to be loaded as checked baggage. Normal procedure is your item ( car seat, stroller, wheelchair) will get checked and tagged at the gate and someone will take it down to the aircraft to be loaded last ( so it will be unloaded first). Upon arrival at your destination it will be brought up on the jet bridge and be waiting when you deplane. If you are worried about your child's seat getting dirty ... You can wrap it in a plastic trash bag.... Next passenger please.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,497,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
So I am trying to figure out what others have done. This will be our first trip as a family. We have myself, my hubby, my daughter that we bought a seat for, and my child young enough to sit on my lap. Both the kids will need car seats for our rental car, so we plan on seating my child that we paid for a seat to sit in her car seat on the plane. My question is can my other child have her car seat count as a carry on item?

I called United and the rep was so confused. She said that the stroller and car seat will be checked for free. I explained that I don't want them checked because i don't want them to get damaged and also I want them readily available for when the plane lands. (A friend that checked a car seat said that the airport lost it and when she arrived to her destination she had to rely on a rental car seat. she said the rental car seat was beat up, smelled, and that enterprise couldn't guarantee it had never been in a crash before.. So I am definitely not looking to rent one).

The United rep put me on hold and said she decided to switch our seats to the front row of economy so that we could bring our stroller and car seat for my daughter sitting on my lap...

Anyone have experience with this??
Where do you plan to stow the car seat? Overhead bins too small. And taking up space for legit carry on items. You could not be cheap and buy a seat for your child. You can then install the seat and prove a much more comfortable and safe flight for your child.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Where do you plan to stow the car seat? Overhead bins too small. And taking up space for legit carry on items. You could not be cheap and buy a seat for your child. You can then install the seat and prove a much more comfortable and safe flight for your child.

You could not be rude and pay for said seat for my child since you think you're entitled to cast such a judgement on me when in reality you know nothing about my finances or situation.

Like I said, I am not sure where the seat would go. It sounded bizarre to me and I plan on calling United again to check with a supervisor. I'm merely relaying the information a representative told me.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,083,844 times
The Seat you bought for your one Child in Car seat, s/he can use it, Just make sure it FAA or DOT approved for use in a plane.

Traveling with Infant and Child Articles | United Airlines

For your child In arms, If the plane is full, or mostly full, they will gate check your car seat, If the plane is fairly empty, they might let you bring it on board and put it in a free seat, if the seat next to you is empty.

But if you are booked in the 3 seats @ the bulkhead there will be no empty seat, since you have all three of them. To improve your chances I would separate into two sets of seats, two seats, one for adult, one for car seat, (aisle and middle), and Aisle near by. You may luck out and have the middle free next to the one seat.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Seat you bought for your one Child in Car seat, s/he can use it, Just make sure it FAA or DOT approved for use in a plane.

Traveling with Infant and Child Articles | United Airlines

For your child In arms, If the plane is full, or mostly full, they will gate check your car seat, If the plane is fairly empty, they might let you bring it on board and put it in a free seat, if the seat next to you is empty.

But if you are booked in the 3 seats @ the bulkhead there will be no empty seat, since you have all three of them. To improve your chances I would separate into two sets of seats, two seats, one for adult, one for car seat, (aisle and middle), and Aisle near by. You may luck out and have the middle free next to the one seat.
Those are some great tips, thanks!

Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,083,844 times
Also if your child in arms, turn two while you are away, you might need a ticket for the return,

You should bring a copy of the child's birth certificate to prove age. If the Child is a "Big" baby they may question the baby age.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,252,793 times
Traveling with Infants | United Airlines

Generally with strollers people check them plane-side and you will get them back plane-side when you land. (Just like with the small planes that are too small to rollerboards on).

You can probably plane-side check an extra car seat like you would with a stroller. Or purchase the strollers that turn into (convert to) car seats.

Even if there are empty seats in your row I would be surprised if they let you buckle in a car seat into an airline seat that you did not pay for. Just like if first class seats or comfort coach seats are empty you can't sit in them unless you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation