Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times

Advertisements

They're still not releasing the names of the pilots, which seems to be a great secret for some reason, even though they are releasing the name of passengers.

Does anyone here have contacts in aviation that might know who they are, or is there gossip in aviation forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They're still not releasing the names of the pilots, which seems to be a great secret for some reason, even though they are releasing the name of passengers.

Does anyone here have contacts in aviation that might know who they are, or is there gossip in aviation forums?
They have released some details about the pilot, no name. Absolutely nothing about the co-pilot. I find this to be very strange considering that they have already released the names of many of the passengers.

I think this is very telling IMO. Draw your own conclusions. My begins with a T.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,391,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
How many fatal crashes occur at night.....MH370, Air Asia, Air France, TWA, Swiss Air, and now GermanWings. Makes you not want to fly at night. Day time maybe fisherman in the seas of Asia might see the plane come down, other planes in the area might see something, etc.
Night, from the American point-of-view. In Europe, where the A320 was actually flying, it was a few hours into the day.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
So using Occum's Razor, simplest explanation. Pilot 1 gets up and goes to use the lavatory. He may or may not have violated protocol in doing so, ie whether or not he needed to swap in a flight attendant etc. That will be a question for the Airline. But lets be honest when you gotta go you gotta go and the toilet is in the rear. So with Pilot 1 leaving the cockpit we have one of two likely scenarios;

A. Pilot 2 suffered some sort of catastrophic medical event causing a loss of consciousness or worse. Heart Attack, Oxygen situation. Etc. Pilot 1 was locked out and the plain went down with Pilot 2 slumped over the controls in a slow steep descent.

B. Pilot 2 deliberately flew the plane into terrain once the cockpit was his to control. This is a horrific thought, but one we have seen before (Yes this really is what happened with Egyptair 990). Honestly there is only one thing that might give this theory more weight. Notice how unlike any other recent air crashes the pilots names have not been released? Why is that?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
As has been hashed over time and again on this forum, on documentaries, and elsewhere... Crashes are the result of a chain of rare or untimely events happening in just the right sequence. Assuming it's true one of the crew members left their seat and things subsequently went haywire is the kind of statistical oddball scenario that does happen in events like this. That does not mean at this moment that any of it is true, and if it is, whether it was a contributing factor to the crash or not!

You have to be in aviation to really understand that it's a very humbling business. I can't count the number of times I've stepped off an airplane after fixing a chronic problem and saying to myself "Man... This had to go wrong, that had to go wrong, and that had to go wrong for this problem to occur. What are the odds?" But, believe it or not, those situations are actually frequent enough to where it doesn't shock me anymore. I mean, I still kind of wonder about the scenarios that had to perfectly stack up for something strange to happen, but given as many flights as there are around the world every single day, these one in a million shots actually become more frequent the more you're around airplanes. And, I make a good living off of troubleshooting these types of outlier problems.

People not in the industry find it hard to believe that all these things could happen at the same time. It's often so overwhelming they tend to anthropomorphize the problem by immediately saying some sort of human intervention must have caused the problem. That's probably human nature at it's finest but it will get us nowhere other than perhaps a lively discussion forum in which I find myself attempting to dispel as many technological incongruities as possible about how airplanes work.

To put it mildly, no one can honestly say "I think it was..." without admitting that they're basing their opinion on absolutely zero evidence. News reporting about aviation is obscenely horrible. Most of us in aviation tend to laugh at the ignorant questions asked by reporters, the over-dramatization of something that is a non-issue, or lending credence to crackpot theories that have no validity whatsoever (the hackers taking control of an airplane is one example - complete bunkum).

Don't get me wrong, I love to hypothesize as much as the next person but I know better than to partake in any sort of guessing or analysis until I at least have access to some sort of reliable information. And, as I just mentioned, the news is NOT a reliable source of information with the exception of the most topical of details. Yes, I believe them that a plane crashed. Yes, I believe everyone died. I'll even go along with the fact that the plane dropped like a hammer out of the sky.

But to speculate on why it dropped out of the sky by starting a sentence with "Here's what happened..." or "I think..." is just intellectually irresponsible.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
So using Occum's Razor, simplest explanation. Pilot 1 gets up and goes to use the lavatory. He may or may not have violated protocol in doing so, ie whether or not he needed to swap in a flight attendant etc. That will be a question for the Airline. But lets be honest when you gotta go you gotta go and the toilet is in the rear. So with Pilot 1 leaving the cockpit we have one of two likely scenarios;

A. Pilot 2 suffered some sort of catastrophic medical event causing a loss of consciousness or worse. Heart Attack, Oxygen situation. Etc. Pilot 1 was locked out and the plain went down with Pilot 2 slumped over the controls in a slow steep descent.

B. Pilot 2 deliberately flew the plane into terrain once the cockpit was his to control. This is a horrific thought, but one we have seen before (Yes this really is what happened with Egyptair 990). Honestly there is only one thing that might give this theory more weight. Notice how unlike any other recent air crashes the pilots names have not been released? Why is that?
See my above post...

These are not the simplest of theories, actually. I can think of a ton of simpler or similar scenarios not involving malicious intent.

Furthermore, the French investigate air crash investigations as criminal investigations. It may be part of their due process not to reveal the names of those under investigation (even if they're dead) for a time period. It could be any number of reasons such as waiting for confirmation of next of kin. Sure, it could be because Jihadi John was flying the airplane. But, not releasing the names of the pilots immediately is not really suspicious to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
What are more likely events to occur with what we know right now?

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
What are more likely events to occur with what we know right now?
Flight crew member got up to take a deuce. Sudden catastrophic event (won't even speculate) occurred while he was in the crapper. That is actually a more likely event.

Happened to Air France 447... Failures of critical systems with one crew member not in the cockpit can actually happen and probably do more than you think... You just only hear about the times when the plane actually crashes.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:

But why lock the cockpit door and not leave it in the normal setting where the other pilot can enter a code and get back in? That's what makes it sound deliberate to me.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, are they going to require each pilot to have a key on them at all times now? Even in the unlikely event of pilot medical emergency it would help.
They should, and they should require on all major flights for a flight attendant to be in the cockpit if a pilot goes out, and they should require that the door be in the normal position so that the pilot can use a code to get back in to the cockpit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation