Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

This is happening all too often lately it seems. Sad. Praying for the families of all those on board. How tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:20 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Why wouldn't you look at statistics? You're also wrong again:
Stop with your facts and statistics.

Everyone needs to come on here and let their emotions run wild after an accident. I knew it wouldn't be long before we had the "foul play" conspiracy post. I'm actually surprised it got as far as 12 post before this happened. I'm not saying it wasn't foul play, but speculating with the info we have is not productive. It could have been many things that brought the aircraft down.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Why wouldn't you look at statistics? You're also wrong again:
Is that quite fair, though? I'd imagine that many of the plane "accidents" you cited to include relatively minor incidents like rough landings, tire blowouts, etc., and are not what louie0406 was referring to when he wrote "these types" of crashes. I took that to mean survival after more serious incidents like engine failure in mid air, etc., on large jets, which I'd imagine is extremely rare.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This type of airplane ( airbus) is fully automated with no reversal if the computers fail. Something to think about.
If it comes to light that this was another case of an Airbus not letting the pilots do their jobs during some sort of emergency caused by incorrect flight data gathered by the plane, I see no reason for any survivors and families of deceased to not sue the living hell out of Airbus. There is no reason for any sort of machine carrying trained humans to not give up its power to those humans in cases where the human brain is a better option over a computer.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I'd MUCH rather be in a vehicle when/if the engine fails instead of an airplane that's traveling at an altitude of 30k feet over the atlantic. I've been in a few car accidents and walked away.
The aircraft flying over the Atlantic has at least one other engine if one fails.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Is that quite fair, though? I'd imagine that many of the plane "accidents" you cited to include relatively minor incidents like rough landings, tire blowouts, etc., and are not what louie0406 was referring to when he wrote "these types" of crashes. I took that to mean survival after more serious incidents like engine failure in mid air, etc., on large jets, which I'd imagine is extremely rare.
Was just about to reply with this ^^

Old 03-24-2015, 12:35 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The aircraft flying over the Atlantic has at least one other engine if one fails.
I should have been more specific and stated complete engine failure.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Even if by some miracle someone survived the impact of the uncontrolled descent. They will not survive the exposure while waiting for rescue. There will not be any survivors of this accident. I hear two conflicting accounts of this crash. One story going around says there was a distress signal 45 minutes before loss of radar contact. Another says there was no distress signal before loss of radar contact.

In light of recent accidents I see no reason why "black boxes" on board the aircraft should be the sole means of determining an aircrafts fate. I think it is unacceptable that an airliner capable of carrying hundreds of passengers (MH370) was lost with no hard data on its whereabouts. Every bit of human communication that takes place in an airplane cockpit or between the cockpit and the ground should be recorded and sent up to a satellite to be relayed to "cloud" storage. Any deviation from flight plan should be grounds for scrambling fighter planes to have a visual look at things even if voice communication with the cockpit is being maintained. Planes have crashed before and if the data says it is happening less ofen... who am I... but I think what is unsettling people recently is the number of crashes for which there is no explanation. It should be the job of someone in a flight crew to keep the ground informed of what is happening in even the most catastrophic of situations.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This type of airplane ( airbus) is fully automated with no reversal if the computers fail. Something to think about.
What's your background and experience? Please don't say housewife...

The A320 series requires two button pushes to revert from normal to alternate law giving complete control to the pilots and getting rid of all but the simplest of protections.

As for my background I have a type rating in the plane and currently operate it.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM

1,057 posts, read 868,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What's your background and experience? Please don't say housewife...

The A320 series requires two button pushes to revert from normal to alternate law giving complete control to the pilots and getting rid of all but the simplest of protections.

As for my background I have a type rating in the plane and currently operate it.
What are you thinking? Stall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation