Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
OMG Isn't that what a hot air balloon or a hovering helicopter experiences? Newton seems to have understood more about centrifugal forces and gravity in the 17th century than Mr. Flat Earth in the 21st century.

It's not only the Mr. Flat Earth who doesn't understand these things.
It's also Ms. Spherical Earth as this thread points out.

Which is, I think, what most Flat Earthers are trying to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Unfortunately that has become a part of our dialogue, if the facts don't agree with their theory, call it fake news and move on regardless.
But it works both ways.

Most here are people who, correctly, believe the earth is spherical.
But, their belief is only belief - it is not any true understanding based on science, because they don't actually understand the science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,581 times
Is this more nonsense from the Christian right?
The Earth is still only six thousand years old right?

Old 09-03-2017, 11:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
When you leave California, it's faster to fly to Japan by way of Alaska because of the curve of the earth. I always thought that was cool.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
anytime you fly into the wind, you have to use more power to maintain airspeed. how much more power depends on how strong the headwinds are.

No, not to maintain airspeed; to maintain groundspeed.

This isn't a serious thread, I hope.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:39 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Is this more nonsense from the Christian right?
The Earth is still only six thousand years old right?
Here's what Christian Warner says about his Youtube channel on the About page:

Quote:
This channel was made for family and friends to educate them on what the killuminati has or is doing to depopulate, control, or program us.
Looking around his content, he looks to be involved in something called the Underground Resistance Network which is anti-New World Order/anti-Illuminati. Their web page here has this slogan:

Quote:
Behind the Scenes News. Biblical Prophecy. Spiritual Awareness. Exposing Lies. Sharing Truth.
Sounds pretty hard core Protestant Christian fundamentalist to me (one of their goals on the home page is "Exposing Satanic World Government"). Note that this is not typical of the belief of most Christians -- even among the Protestant Evangelicals.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

So, the intelligent way to show that someone doesn't know something is to fabricate an entirely new set of -- let's just call them -- "alternate facts" and then have them disproven? Friggin' brilliant.

Quote:
But it works both ways.

But, their belief is only belief - it is not any true understanding based on science, because they don't actually understand the science.
Or, maybe, they have used logic and reason along with a little humility to realize that astrophysics and other complex sciences just aren't in their wheelhouse and defer to the experts who have made it their life's work. You know, just how they get in an automobile every day and, even though they probably don't know how it really works, put their trust in the countless scientists and engineers who have spent decades perfecting what is an extremely complex machine. And, they've done their job so well that even those who have a hard time using a crescent wrench can operate one without knowing a damn thing about how it actually works. But, it does work because, you know, science.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

But it works both ways.

But at least their belief is consistent with the physical sciences. They won't hesitate to get into an airplane and fly over the horizon without fearing if they go off the edge and they'll be lost in space.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Guess this Pilot never took history lessons???? Never mind what Astronauts have reported by the outer space visuals of EARTH!!

I do think Christopher Columbus proved that notion FALSE way back in the 1490's!! The belief of FLAT earth was pretty well accepted back them.. YET he went OFF the FLAT Edge and landed on the other side!! LOL

YOAH.. Did you ever go to school? Have you no recollection of viewpoints ( flat earth) prior to Spanish Christopher Columbus's trip to Plymouth Rock??? back in the 1492?? Do you even recall Outer Space Trips that beamed back too EARTH just what it is? Yikes.. It's not a wonder there're so many who hold beliefs that are totally aberrant to Reality and Factual!! SMH
I can't tell if you believe the Columbus stuff??

Columbus didn't set sail to prove the earth was round. It was common knowledge. He in fact got the circumference wrong, not knowing the America's existed.

He also never set foot in what is today the USA.

https://www.livescience.com/16468-ch...-americas.html

This video is more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8PQXiJiLOY

Old 09-03-2017, 02:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Can a flat earther explain to me, that if the earth is flat, why we haven't found, or at least seen the edge?

I can't believe this is even a conversation in 2017...

Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
So, the intelligent way to show that someone doesn't know something is to fabricate an entirely new set of -- let's just call them -- "alternate facts" and then have them disproven? Friggin' brilliant.
What alternate facts did he present?

It's something like a riddle.

The eleven fingers trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8-BhT56b3I

Or the missing dollar riddle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQs7dpqlhVo

Can you figure it out?

Quote:
Or, maybe, they have used logic and reason along with a little humility to realize that astrophysics and other complex sciences just aren't in their wheelhouse and defer to the experts who have made it their life's work.
That's absolutely what most of us [including myself] have done.
We've taken it on faith, not understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation