Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:35 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times

Advertisements

Qantas departs JFK tonight at 9pm. First ever non-stop between the two cities. Its a training flight not commercial. Basically a training lab to study effects of a 20 hour flight. Commercial flights are scheduled to begin 2022.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 03:37 PM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Actually impressive they have planes with that kind of range. I am guessing they will utilize that crew bunk pretty heavily; better get good mattresses in there!

What kind of plane are they flying?

Are passengers ok with this? 20 hours...I might actually want a layover to stretch my legs and get away from cabin air.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Actually impressive they have planes with that kind of range. I am guessing they will utilize that crew bunk pretty heavily; better get good mattresses in there!

Are passengers ok with this? 20 hours...I might actually want a layover to stretch my legs and get away from cabin air.
A 787-9 is the aircraft being used. 50 people will be on board.

Singapore Airlines already flys a 19 hour flight. Singapore Newark.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:01 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

I'd like to stretch my legs, too.

But stretching my legs isn't even remotely worth it to me for the extra time/hassle required. New York is a megalopolis. People who have the flying experience aren't going to want to add another hour of flight time (the minimum requirement for another descent/climb-out if the layover happens to be on the path between origin and destination), plus de-boarding and re-boarding (experiences always enjoyed by all!) and however much time is spent enjoying the ambiance of an airport terminal.

Greater Sydney has over five million people. This non-stop may not be for everyone, but they'll be able to find enough business people (and probably a few tourists) to fill the aircraft.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Odd AA isn't do the flight vs Qantas.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
That sounds painful. I've done a near 18 hour flight, Mumbai to Newark; it is normally a 16+ hr flight, but the flight I took ended up being close to 18 hours. That was terrible. Honestly, 2 more hours wouldn't be much more terrible.

Due to the sheer distance and time it takes to get to Australia from the east coast, however, I'd probably opt for the nonstop just to cut down on travel time and get more time in country.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I do the 18 hr Non-Stop, LAX or SFO > SIN. (in economy) Ouch

Much preferred by me over previous transfers in NAR or HGK.

Leave SFO at 10PM, arrive 7AM 2 days later, just in time to enjoy the day or go straight to work.

Can return SIN>SFO 10AM or 10PM ((arrive same day / same time), just in time to go straight to work, or straight to bed (if you don't sleep well on planes).

Old 10-19-2019, 08:42 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Odd AA isn't do the flight vs Qantas.
AA and Quantas are code share partners. When I worked at LAX we did the ticketing and ground service for Them.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:47 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Qantas actually flies more people to LAX from Melbourne than Sydney. The reason is simply there is a five-way competition from SYD-LAX with Qantas, Virgin Blue, United, Delta, and American. There is a three-way competition from MEL-LAX with Qantas, Virgin Blue and United. There is a two-way competition from BNE-LAX with Qantas, and Virgin Blue.

Right now all three Qantas flights from SYD, MEL and BNE to LAX land at about the same time. The BNE 787-9 continues on to JFK with passengers from the other two flights. Such a flight is legal because you cannot purchase a LAX-JFK segment only, you must be transferred from the other two Australia flights.

With a nonstop from Sydney there is unlikely to be enough people from Melbourne and Brisbane to fill such a jet. Presumably the JFK bound people from Melbourne and Brisbane will fly domestic in Australia and board the jet in Sydney.

MEL-SYD 439 mi and BNE-SYD 467 miles

Qantas may want to add a nonstop to JFK from Melbourne as well as Sydney (at least once a week)
SYD JFK 9,950 mi
MEL JFK 10,374 mi

Right now you can fly from Melbourne to London via Perth on a 787-9
MEL PER 1,681 mi +
PER LHR 9,009 mi = 10,691 mi

Qantas hopes to be able to fly to London nonstop by 2022
MEL LHR 10,503 mi
SYD LHR 10,573 mi

Old 10-20-2019, 04:08 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
It was reported here that they are looking at having an exercise area in economy. Looking closely at whether the crew will be able to get enough quality rest.

We were talking about these long flights last night. We thought we would prefer a stopover going to London. Singapore airport is a great airport and a couple of hours there is very pleasant. But for New York, perhaps I would suffer the non stop. Without being rude, American airports are not nearly as pleasant as ones like Singapore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation