Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times

Advertisements

LAX is the worst of the worst. My best experience there was just sub par, my worst nightmarish.

MCI is bad, what is funny is the locals love it just because it is a short walk to the gate. Luckily it is being completely redone and the new terminal should be open by 2023.

CLT is pretty good when it is not crowded, but at times it is so packed it reminds me of a mosh pit or Times Square at new years eve

PHL- Is kind of a disjointed cobbled together mess. Security lines tend to be long brutish and nasty there, and the terminal is just OK

LGA and EWR- have been bad in the past, but holding judgement until I visit after remodeling. I was not impressed last time I was in the United EWR terminal where sandwiches were $16 and slices of pizza were $9. The ambience was nice but the prices were insulting and price gouging.

HOU, TPA PHX, IND and DET are nice

ORD, SFO and SEA are average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 09:35 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
LAX is the worst of the worst. My best experience there was just sub par, my worst nightmarish.

MCI is bad, what is funny is the locals love it just because it is a short walk to the gate. Luckily it is being completely redone and the new terminal should be open by 2023.

CLT is pretty good when it is not crowded, but at times it is so packed it reminds me of a mosh pit or Times Square at new years eve

PHL- Is kind of a disjointed cobbled together mess. Security lines tend to be long brutish and nasty there, and the terminal is just OK

LGA and EWR- have been bad in the past, but holding judgement until I visit after remodeling. I was not impressed last time I was in the United EWR terminal where sandwiches were $16 and slices of pizza were $9. The ambience was nice but the prices were insulting and price gouging.

HOU, TPA PHX, IND and DET are nice

ORD, SFO and SEA are average.
Post covid-
Just used LAX last week - awful, terrible, packed, hated.
JFK has been great over the last month. Big improvement. Easy long term parking, clean terminals, fast security, really a pleasure - and I can't believe I'm saying this!
EWK looks great from the highway but haven't used.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd562 View Post
Now that I've started traveling again for work, I'm reminded how both incredible and pathetic some of our airports are. To name a few:

THE GOOD:

1. MSP; my home airport, but I'm trying not to be biased. Multiple security lines, extremely efficient, every amenity imaginable, excellent dining, modern architecture, efficient airside rail system. Perfect airport for a long layover.

2. IND; constantly clean, shiny, and efficient. Layout is simple and easy to navigate. Quick in and out every time.

3. BWI; I can't pinpoint this one, but I always get an exciting vibe at BWI. It's not overly fancy or majestic, but I very much enjoy my layovers here. Above average people watching, and a great central food court area.

4. MDW; I'm probably one of the few people who actually likes MDW. I've never waited in the security line for longer than 10 minutes, it's relatively clean, and the amenities are beyond plentiful. Easy to navigate too, and the moving walkways allow for mindless lap-walking during layovers.

Honorable mention GOOD: CLT, MSN, CVG, DTW

THE BAD:

1. CLE; longest security lines I've ever encountered. Also outdated and lacks good places to grab a beer or burger before your flight. Every seating area is constantly packed. Lack of outlets. Rental cars are super far away. Lack of really anything positive IMHO.

2. MIA; limited experience, but it seems incredibly outdated and I waited 40 minutes for security in the thick of COVID.

3. MCI; possibly the worst of the worst, but I haven't been since 2012. Straight from the 70's, and you didn't go through security until you got to your gate so if you got hungry or had a reason to leave the gate area, you were out of luck. Also had to take a bus between gates there once. Overall a weird experience and I hope it's changed for the better.

4. DCA; I've only been to the AA terminal, but I had a long layover and was not allowed to leave the concourse. It was boring, eerily quiet, and only had one or two places to eat. Not recommended for long layovers.

Honorable mention BAD: SEA, PHX, BNI

Anyone else care to pitch in? I'm always interested in peoples' opinions on this matter!
Benin City, Nigeria?!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:24 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
DCA isn't an airport to hang out at...it's an O&D airport. You want to get in and get out asap. It does that very well due to its limited size and location..which is why it's easily the most popular airport in the D.C. area. You'd practically have to go out of your way to actually book a connection at DCA, so it's not really designed for that.

TXL was the same way and again also extremely popular as a result. Airports that aren't built around connections don't need to be shopping malls.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Yeah, I'm an MCI (Kansas City) local and I love the short lines. They do have bathrooms and food available inside the gate areas- not the most lavish but they're there. I am NOT looking forward to the big, shiny, new terminal they're building. The taxpayers didn't want it but the politicians and their cronies did so it's underway. They're touting the more efficient single TSA line instead of multiple lines, each serving a series of gates (more efficient for WHOM?) and of course all teh retail space. Yeah, that's EXACTLY why I go to the airport- to shop.

OTOH, I really like ORD (O'Hare) because I'm typically connecting and don't have to endure their TSA lines unless I'm connecting to an international flight. At least they've got nonstops to Europe and some decent airline lounges! MCI has neither.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:19 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
^The post about shopping and dining reminded me of something amusing. I went to Europe for the first time in 2015. I was flying into Amsterdam to meet my daughter, and I was kind of excited about seeing Schiphol, since when I worked on an airport project in the pre-award stages, Schiphol was held up as an example of a good layout and mix of concessions.

I had to catch the train at Schiphol to meet my daughter at the station in Amsterdam, so I looked up in advance how to find the train, and to my dismay the directions on the website told me the entrance was across from the Burger King.

Here I was excited about traveling to Europe for the first time in my life and finding my way around a foreign airport, and I had to look for a frikken BURGER KING.

The other jolt to my excitement was the descent into Amsterdam, where my first look at Europe was the airport fuel farm, the same view I had left behind when taking off from EWR.

But it was all good. A wonderful trip.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:56 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Favorites? Big airports: ORD, ATL* CLT... Medium: RDU, TPA, Louisville Small: I have good things to say abotu both Fargo and Bismack...

ORD is sometimes dirty and can be crowded but it's always worked well for me considering how big it is. Same with ATL; I can't stand Delta but ATL itself is decent and seems to work well considering how big it is.

I can't stand Midway, the security lines seem obnoxiously long, it's dirty... Don't have a lot of nice things to say about BNA, don't know why. DFW is nice and clean but it always seems that the layout means maximum travel to make a connection that doesn't seem that far away...and while it has nice stuff it seems most of it is far enough away from where I need to be that it's hard to take advantage of it.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:55 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Conversely, my new hometown airport of Tampa (TPA) is always sparkling clean. But it loses points for the recent re-configuration which took away the shuttles to Economy Parking and rental cars. It's a real hassle now.
I love the Tampa airport. One of the best I've ever seen, in my opinion. The reason they took the shuttles away from economy parking and the rental car garage is that they have a nice new automated train serving them.

So, airports I really like, in no particular order:

TPA (Tampa)
BWI (Baltimore)
DEN (Denver)
ATL (Atlanta)
DTW (Detroit)
MSP (Minneapolis) -- the shopping/eating area was one of the nicest I've seen
JNU (Juneau) -- surprisingly nice for a small airport
PBI (West Palm Beach) feels very luxurious
ICN (Seoul-Incheon) -- didn't see nearly as much as I would have liked, due to lack of time, but was quite impressed with what little I did see
SAN (San Diego) -- not for the airport itself, but for the landing approach as you slide down the hill, seemingly just a few feet above it
CRW (Charleston, WV) and BIL (Billings) -- not for the airports themselves, but for their being built on top of a mountain, and thus it looks like you're way up high while approaching and then suddenly you're on the ground

I missed seeing the new Salt Lake City terminal by two weeks last fall. Really eager to see it.

And airports that I really don't like:

LAX (Los Angeles)
MCI (Kansas City) -- its design is way, way too outdated for modern commercial aviation
LGA (New York LaGuardia)
JFK (New York Kennedy) -- I'm judging these two by their old terminals, so I may feel differently if I ever fly into them again
MEM (Memphis) -- looks like it was designed in the 70s and never updated; the signage (what there is of it) is atrocious; parts of it feel abandoned; really a spooky place to fly into
HNL (Honolulu) -- another design from the 70s; confusing layout and poor signage; horrible introduction to Hawaii
KOA (Kailua-Kona) -- way too small and cramped; it's an outdoor airport with no A/C and little shade
MIA (Miami) -- it's been a couple decades since I've been there, so maybe it's better now; sure wasn't very nice back in the 80s and 90s.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I love the Tampa airport. One of the best I've ever seen, in my opinion. The reason they took the shuttles away from economy parking and the rental car garage is that they have a nice new automated train serving them.
Yes, I'm aware of the "nice new automated train". So before the train was installed:

I'd park in Economy, take an elevator down to the first floor of the garage, get picked up by a shuttle bus (whose driver would load an unload my luggage) and get dropped right at the door of my terminal.

After the train was installed:

Park in Economy, drag my suitcase down the elevator to the first floor and across multiple moving sidewalks to another building, take an elevator up to the train level, take the (very bumpy) train to my terminal, where I'd then have to go down two huge escalators and a bit of a way to the ticket counter. All the while dragging my luggage, and I'm old. I now park in an off-site garage whose shuttle takes me to the terminal door. But I can tell you, if I were coming into town and had to go through all that to get to the rental car, I'd be migh-teee unhappy.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:13 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
Denver sucks.

San Francisco is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation