Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariwhizkid View Post
So be it. There is more logic to handing out traffic tickets to people who run red lights and speed than there is to charging property owners egregious tax rates for terrible city services.
I'd like to start ticketing drivers who don't wait for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Really, I'd like to start ticketing drivers, period. Our boys in blue seem completely disinterested in enforcing traffic violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM

226 posts, read 363,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'd like to start ticketing drivers who don't wait for pedestrians in the crosswalk.

Really, I'd like to start ticketing drivers, period. Our boys in blue seem completely disinterested in enforcing traffic violations.

most likely because we have a serious violent crime element to fight in the city, but my guess would be that they would increase sales taxes and taxes on unnecessary things like alcohol and cigarettes, they probably need to look at their corporate tax income, especially commercial property taxes, many of the developers receive tax breaks which is fine for attracting business but then it becomes giveaway and is just corporate welfare after the first few yrs

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
most likely because we have a serious violent crime element to fight in the city, but my guess would be that they would increase sales taxes and taxes on unnecessary things like alcohol and cigarettes, they probably need to look at their corporate tax income, especially commercial property taxes, many of the developers receive tax breaks which is fine for attracting business but then it becomes giveaway and is just corporate welfare after the first few yrs
I think that igorning quality of life issues by using the excuse "there's bigger stuff going on" is not going to help us increase our tax base.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
I think that igorning quality of life issues by using the excuse "there's bigger stuff going on" is not going to help us increase our tax base.

I agree. For awhile, NYC got serious about ticketing for minor offenses and it changed the character of the city. Littering is another one, Throw it-pay a fine. For some folks, that is the only way they will learn.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
it's one of the reasons why i chose to move outside of the city for my primary residence. it's almost like the city penalizes you for wanting to live in a nicer area, although even property taxes in the poorest neighborhoods are high as well. it's just one of those things that unfortunately baltimore city think tanks don't understand. you'd gain more on increased home owner populations than you would on higher property taxes. if you are going to have high property taxes, give the people something for their dollar. not many will want to pay 6k taxes on a 210k house when you can get a house for double that price in the surrounding counties with an equal tax rate.
The bad thing about having your primary residence in the county while you still own property in the city is that you lose the Homestead Property Tax Credit on your city property when it is no longer your primary residence. My annual tax bill increased by nearly 400%. It would have increased by 500%, but I appealed the assessed value.

Are there any mayoral candidates from "The Property Taxes are Too Damn High" party?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
The bad thing about having your primary residence in the county while you still own property in the city is that you lose the Homestead Property Tax Credit on your city property when it is no longer your primary residence. My annual tax bill increased by nearly 400%. It would have increased by 500%, but I appealed the assessed value.

Are there any mayoral candidates from "The Property Taxes are Too Damn High" party?
Carl Stokes has a "funny math" plan to drop it by half. I don't know how much I believe about it (or him).
Maryland Politics: Stokes details plan to cut city property taxes - Politics and Policy from Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington - baltimoresun.com

Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I agree. For awhile, NYC got serious about ticketing for minor offenses and it changed the character of the city. Littering is another one, Throw it-pay a fine. For some folks, that is the only way they will learn.
I'm still waiting for a candidate to propose this sort of idea.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

and you think letting violent criminals go free and focussing on trash and littering is going to help us...focus on the big things first then the small problems

Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
and you think letting violent criminals go free and focussing on trash and littering is going to help us...focus on the big things first then the small problems
Why not do both?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Why not do both?

uhh bcuz...where do i start...we have an undermanned police force, we have intolerable amounts of violent crime, even when a case is open and shut our police force does not know how to conduct a decent investigation, the police dont know how to protect the few and precious witnesses that do come forward to testify....is that enough or should they still focus on the trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: