Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I said OR and property doesn't have to mean real estate. Frankly I think universal suffrage leads to a Curley effect, which is what is going on in Baltimore and in the USA at large. Politicians play to the lowest common denominator promising government goodies by taxing the productive which leads to disinvestment and eventually collapse.

It should be pointed out that a lot of the early democracies that folks hold dear, America, French, British and even the Greeks had property owning requirements.

How Property Taxes and the 'Curley Effect' Are Killing Baltimore - WSJ.com
And how did that help people who DIDN'T own property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
Back then many worked their way out of debt and indentured servitude so that they could own property and contribute to society.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Back then many worked their way out of debt and indentured servitude so that they could own property and contribute to society.
Well, these days we don't have indentured servitude. Whether or not I own property, I want to have a say in MY life, and voting is part of that. When I can vote, it means I have a say.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Black people are not going to lose their voting rights so it's pointless for you to worry about this ... it's never going to happen. It's also pointless for you to worry about people who think that blacks, or renters, or illiterates, should lose their voting rights, because while those people are entitled to their opinions, IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Maybe what you SHOULD worry about are things like this:

1. In some cities, more than half of all young adult black men are currently under correctional control: in prison or jail, on probation or parole. Read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander.

2. A 2007 report by the Bureau of Justice Statistics reveals that approximately 8,000 - and, in certain years, as many as 9,000 - African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This figure is accompanied by another fact: that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks.

3. In 2009, no white men were killed in Cincinnati, but 44 black males and 11 black females were killed there.

I can list statistics like this all day. You can extrapolate any conclusions you wish, but the next time you see someone crossing the street while you're headed in their direction, you might want to excuse their legitimate concerns.
It is true that the statistics are not in my favor. I never said I wasn't worried about getting murdered. That being said, it isn't the only thing I'm worried about. I do worry about what other people think of Blacks. I do worry about the person trying to avoid me when I'm walking down the street because no matter what their concerns are, I'm still affected.

At the end of the day, I have ME to worry about because I live here. I live in this society. If I am going to live in this society, then I must be treated fairly, according to my deeds. I this is a society where one's individual merit is suppose to be the litmus test, then why should an individual be judged based on what other people in that group have done? What does the INDIVIDUAL get out of it?

Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is true that the statistics are not in my favor. I never said I wasn't worried about getting murdered. That being said, it isn't the only thing I'm worried about. I do worry about what other people think of Blacks. I do worry about the person trying to avoid me when I'm walking down the street because no matter what their concerns are, I'm still affected.

At the end of the day, I have ME to worry about because I live here. I live in this society. If I am going to live in this society, then I must be treated fairly, according to my deeds. I this is a society where one's individual merit is suppose to be the litmus test, then why should an individual be judged based on what other people in that group have done? What does the INDIVIDUAL get out of it?
Glad to see you're opposed to affirmative action.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,443,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
** applause **

Man couldn't have said it better myself.
Seconded!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm not a big believer in universal suffrage for the reasons you cite. I think there should be an education or property owning requirement before one is allowed to vote.
I think that there should be a requirement that one has paid income taxes to be able to vote. That way, the those who actually have a personal financial stake invested in the government get to make the decisions as opposed to those that are leeching off the government. An exception can be made for those who have prior or current military service.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
I think that there should be a requirement that one has paid income taxes to be able to vote. That way, the those who actually have a personal financial stake invested in the government get to make the decisions as opposed to those that are leeching off the government. An exception can be made for those who have prior or current military service.
What about those persons who get laid off and are trying their best to find jobs? My father has been in that position a few times, and I'm currently in the position of being laid off and currently looking for work. If I am in a position where I'm in some kind of struggle, I would at least like to have a say over what happens to me, what the government does. If something affects me, I need to have a say in it. This suggestion of paying income tax and other stuff sounds very reminiscent of the Jim Crow era voting laws.

Ironically, there are many voters who do work, who don't want to pay any taxes, and would vote not to pay income tax.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
I'm cool with that as well. In fact it's probably more fair than my earlier suggestion.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What about those persons who get laid off and are trying their best to find jobs? My father has been in that position a few times, and I'm currently in the position of being laid off and currently looking for work. If I am in a position where I'm in some kind of struggle, I would at least like to have a say over what happens to me, what the government does. If something affects me, I need to have a say in it. This suggestion of paying income tax and other stuff sounds very reminiscent of the Jim Crow era voting laws.

Ironically, there are many voters who do work, who don't want to pay any taxes, and would vote not to pay income tax.
Or even better, eliminate the income tax altogether and replace it with the national sales tax and let everyone vote except felons. That would be the fairest way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore