Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,444,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It doesn't matter, any such tax would be just one additional rent-a-center payment.
Well if they choose to rent an xbox instead of put food on the table that's their choice. However, the govt shouldn't have a hand in it.

All I know is that if I was poor, I would choose food over the xbox but I don't speak for anyone but myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Well if they choose to rent an xbox instead of put food on the table that's their choice. However, the govt shouldn't have a hand in it.

All I know is that if I was poor, I would choose food over the xbox but I don't speak for anyone but myself.
It is a society of materialism, trying to look good, greed, and all kinds of stuff going on in the culture today. Well, it might have existed years ago, but it is worse today.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,534,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post

I understand what you mean, I was just saying that additional taxes on frivilous goods wouldn't really act in limiting the behaviors of those for whom a long term vision is no more distant than 12 hours.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 PM

759 posts, read 1,359,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
This is one reason I'm against it.

You would have to find a way to tax items that are bought in other countries and brought back to the US like clothes, jewelry, etc.
This tax already exists is the form of import duties and tariffs. Unfortunately, determining tax rates is difficult due to different rates being applied not only to the type and quantity of goods imported, but to the country of origin of the product. You hear a lot about the unfair advantage China has when it comes to foreign trading (virtual slave labor, almost no export duties, huge import duties, currency manipulation, etc.), but when it comes down to the U.S.A. it is all our own fault. Of the top ten (in terms of total $$) Chinese-made products imported into the U.S., only one is subject to import duty, at a whopping 5% rate. All of the rest arrive on our shores scot free.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,642,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sarcasm, eh? How do you REALLY feel about this?

No, I have come to the OTHER side.........nanny state and blame everyone else for THEIR problems.

If Ray-honnie Deathrayguns and the Cia would not have injected poison into the Urban Environement all of us would be living in paradise.

These Youth should be the ones angry........oops, they already are.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,444,663 times
Quote:
I understand what you mean, I was just saying that additional taxes on frivilous goods wouldn't really act in limiting the behaviors of those for whom a long term vision is no more distant than 12 hours.
At that point, if someone chooses to buy an xbox instead of food, they have no one else to blame but themselves if they go hungry.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Then what would you say should be done about anyone whose long term vision is no more than 12 hours?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,534,015 times
Quote:
Then what would you say should be done about anyone whose long term vision is no more than 12 hours?
I don't know ... that's a whole different thread.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know ... that's a whole different thread.
True, but it does apply to those attackers. What that mob did shows short term thinking, or lack there of.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,142,479 times
Quote:
Increase government incentives for them to move to HOCO or MOCO so we get the harbor back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore