Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times

Advertisements

Please do not be hard on these Youths.

If Ronnie Rayguns would not have cut so many programs these kids would be doing even better.

Baltimore is a symptom of what the 1% have done to this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

If Ronnie Rayguns would not have cut so many programs these kids would be doing even better.

Sarcasm, eh? How do you REALLY feel about this?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM

554 posts, read 609,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post

This is a joke, right ?!? What utter horses**t.

I grew up in a 2d-generation immigrant family, in a mill town, and my family didn't have a pot to p**s in, or a window to throw it out of. However, I DID have: (1) a father, who (2) worked and was present in my life until the day he died [in that mill], and who (3) beat my ass if I got out of line or didn't perform up to expectations in school, and (4) a mother who knew where I was 24 hours a day until I left home for college, and (5) both of whom instilled societal and moral values in me and my siblings. I also had black friends who had the same things, and who did just as well in life as I did, maybe better.

Maybe if more black men would be present in the lives of their kids, such as marrying the mother and supporting the family, and disciplining the children, society wouldn't be experiencing this rash of black teenage amorality.

I'll never forget the day Andre Cox's father came out to the street in my neighborhood and beat Andre's a** with a belt because Andre decided to ignore his dad's call to get in the house because it was late. I don't remember Andre ignoring his father after that day, and Andre was 16 at the time. These punks today have no discipline ... what we ought to do is establish public whipping racks, and beat some behinds instead of sending these kids to jail or juvie. Black punks don't fear incarceration; they fear loss of face .... they fear being embarrassed in front of their homies.

I'm part of the "2%" .... and I earned it. But I'm not responsible for ghetto girls who want a baby so they can collect welfare and be on their own, and I'm not responsible for black boys who impregnate their "bit**es" and try to live a gangster lifestyle; nor am I responsible for black parents who don't care enough about their kids that they allow them to run the streets and terrorize the community. Stop blaming society for bad individual choices.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 AM

503 posts, read 808,103 times
Nope....nothing to see here..move along.

Random attack by a "group of youths" (wink, nod) on a 51yo federal worker.

Police investigate more downtown attacks - baltimoresun.com

Nope.....no pattern at all. None.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
This is a joke, right ?!? What utter horses**t.

I grew up in a 2d-generation immigrant family, in a mill town, and my family didn't have a pot to p**s in, or a window to throw it out of. However, I DID have: (1) a father, who (2) worked and was present in my life until the day he died [in that mill], and who (3) beat my ass if I got out of line or didn't perform up to expectations in school, and (4) a mother who knew where I was 24 hours a day until I left home for college, and (5) both of whom instilled societal and moral values in me and my siblings. I also had black friends who had the same things, and who did just as well in life as I did, maybe better.

Maybe if more black men would be present in the lives of their kids, such as marrying the mother and supporting the family, and disciplining the children, society wouldn't be experiencing this rash of black teenage amorality.

I'll never forget the day Andre Cox's father came out to the street in my neighborhood and beat Andre's a** with a belt because Andre decided to ignore his dad's call to get in the house because it was late. I don't remember Andre ignoring his father after that day, and Andre was 16 at the time. These punks today have no discipline ... what we ought to do is establish public whipping racks, and beat some behinds instead of sending these kids to jail or juvie. Black punks don't fear incarceration; they fear loss of face .... they fear being embarrassed in front of their homies.

I'm part of the "2%" .... and I earned it. But I'm not responsible for ghetto girls who want a baby so they can collect welfare and be on their own, and I'm not responsible for black boys who impregnate their "bit**es" and try to live a gangster lifestyle; nor am I responsible for black parents who don't care enough about their kids that they allow them to run the streets and terrorize the community. Stop blaming society for bad individual choices.
I think if you read more of this person's posts, you can tell that what he said was more or less sarcasm.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

569 posts, read 1,444,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Denying felons the right to vote, well, I have this question: How would a felon voting be harmful to society?

If a felon has done his time in prison, how is not being able to vote suppose to help the felon transition back into society?
Because a currently incarcerated felon is not contributing to the tax base, he should not be entitled to vote. Once he is out and contributing to the tax base, it wouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,444,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
The problem with the sales tax is that it disproportionately affects the poor. Take states like TN with around a 8% sales tax. Poor people would be paying obscene tax rates, just for basics.

I'm only all for some sort of national sales tax if you also have federal exemption, which would include all of the basics of life in the 21st century. Put the sales tax on the premium, upscale, or luxury items, NOT essentials.
I don't have a problem with that. That would take care of the problem of those urban poor buying xboxes and cable TV with while using food stamps to buy groceries.

At least it gives people the CHOICE whether or not to pay this luxury tax as opposed to an income based tax.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,530,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
I don't have a problem with that. That would take care of the problem of those urban poor buying xboxes and cable TV with while using food stamps to buy groceries.

At least it gives people the CHOICE whether or not to pay this luxury tax as opposed to an income based tax.
It doesn't matter, any such tax would be just one additional rent-a-center payment.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM

759 posts, read 1,358,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
B.K. is a voice out of Dickensian England. They hanged pickpockets at the Old Bailey back in those days. Some of us have moved on.
Ecod man, such piffle! What, pray tell, have some of us moved on to?
My sympathies lie with the victims of crime, not with the perpetrators of crime. Who eases their "transition" back into a life free of the fear of violation?
I am all for forgiving the felon (well, some felons), after he has paid his debt to society. Forgetting is another matter.

green_mariner:
But if a criminal is going to be out in society again, that person has to be able to participate in society. If not, then you might as well keep criminals locked up permanently.

One can most certainly participate in society without the restoration of certain rights he chose to forfeit. Most of us do not own firearms, most of us do not work for the government, and unfortunately, most of us do not choose to vote (c. 38% of the eligible population in 2010). Though participation is largely voluntary, the citizenry seem to be participating in this society right well without exercising those rights, thank you.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Because a currently incarcerated felon is not contributing to the tax base, he should not be entitled to vote. Once he is out and contributing to the tax base, it wouldn't be a problem.
I wasn't talking about the currently incarcerated. I was talking about once the person gets out. However, I do agree, once the person gets out, let the person vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore