Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM

560 posts, read 1,130,457 times

Advertisements

Has demolition started on the ill-fated homes that will be replaced by that huge museum complex? I believe for the Blacks in Wax. Im glad something is being done but those homes are so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:04 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
I did hear that there were plans to expand the museum... I personally hope that it doesnt happen at that location. I have often thought that many of the cultural organizations that promote these types of facilities should join together to create some "synergy" around these types of attraction.. The GBIW museum should move over to Pennsy Ave where they have created an African American Cultural District and where there are already efforts underway to promote the history of the AA community along with Boxing, the Negro League Baseball museum, Billy Holiday, and others. Additionally, you have TWO subway stops that bookend the District which makes it accessible for those that choose to come up from downtown or Lexington Market.. which would tie in to these other attractions. There is also some new housing going up along with an existing branch of the Enoch Pratt Library which could be another venue to promote the cultural heritage of the area. There is also a bowling alley and the Ave Market... all of which could be promoted as part of this "district".

Unless there is some compelling reason for them to be over on East North Ave.. I would love to see them move to a more visable and travelled location.. or atleast one that is up and coming....

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I did hear that there were plans to expand the museum... I personally hope that it doesnt happen at that location. I have often thought that many of the cultural organizations that promote these types of facilities should join together to create some "synergy" around these types of attraction.. The GBIW museum should move over to Pennsy Ave where they have created an African American Cultural District and where there are already efforts underway to promote the history of the AA community along with Boxing, the Negro League Baseball museum, Billy Holiday, and others. Additionally, you have TWO subway stops that bookend the District which makes it accessible for those that choose to come up from downtown or Lexington Market.. which would tie in to these other attractions. There is also some new housing going up along with an existing branch of the Enoch Pratt Library which could be another venue to promote the cultural heritage of the area. There is also a bowling alley and the Ave Market... all of which could be promoted as part of this "district".

Unless there is some compelling reason for them to be over on East North Ave.. I would love to see them move to a more visable and travelled location.. or atleast one that is up and coming....
LOL i hear you. But Nort Ave. needs it. Something that huge is better than nothing. Because Social Services and The Board of Education are doing nothing for that area.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
LOL i hear you. But Nort Ave. needs it. Something that huge is better than nothing. Because Social Services and The Board of Education are doing nothing for that area.
Lots of red Xs on the building of east North Ave - those Xs are put there by the fire department and means the buildings are not safe for firemen to enter if they are burning due to extreme neglect. These buildings should be torn down; then the lots can be a green field or redeveloped. The dilapidated buildings depress the area adn stretch the BFD by leaving them more properties to worry about. Woodlands has a great idea about moving the GBIW museum to Pennsy Ave, makes sense. The GBIW won't help east North Ave; a wrecking ball will.

FWIW I love Baltimore's old architecture. But for years there have been plans to do something with dilapidated vacants (SCOPES, Project 5000 etc), but nothing ever happens so the buildings sit. Tear them down, have a clean slate, that is better than letting them sit. I bet a look at the state property tax database cross referenced with the red X buildings would yield that a large number of them are city owned and tax delinquent.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 PM

As I look at the Ballot and I see Question 6 and Question 7 dominating the discussions... You also see all these Loan /Bond request from the City for new schools, parks, the Walters Museum, The Zoo.. then more vague items such as Community Development and Economic Development Loans. If I knew that one of these loans (the Community or Economic Development ones) would be to assist GBIW or other types of organizations in LOANING them money to create a viable facility that can help revitalize a section of the City like Pennsy Ave.. I would vote for it.. Right now.. these items appear to be slush funds for the politicos to dole out money to their favorite developers and every four years they come back and ask for the authority to loan more money out without accounting to the public what they did with the last $100 million we gave them permission to borrow

Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM

i really want Baltimore to thrive. It is very much alive but so much more potential in the Middle East and North Ave. neighborhoods

Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 PM

I think that IF the Johns Hopkins area takes off and a MARC/Amtrak Station is put on Broadway then you may see and increase in development along Broadway from Fells Point to North Ave... You will also likely see improvements on North Ave between St. Paul and Pennsy Ave with MICA's expansion and improvements in Res Hill/Bolton Hill...though they may have to bulldoze Linden Liquors and maybe Madison North Apartments to get the ball rolling... there will also likely be some improvement along the frontage at Coppin as well.. Outside of that.. I would be pleasantly surprised if any other section of North Ave sees much comprehensive improvement. Most people dont want to live on North Ave because it is a truck route not to mention a busy east west highway. It is also mixed bag when it comes to pedestrian traffic.. which outside of the areas I mentioned has some less than desirable businesses that can be filled with dubious characters...

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 AM

167 posts, read 426,755 times
From what I remember, I believe the Great Blacks In Wax museum was going to rehab the interiors of the housing between Bond and Broadway. Apparently, the future plan has expanded to a whole square block plus. If the museum can expand to such a degree, let it! I think that it would be a great anchor for that part of town to attract more traffic and better economic activity.

Not to dismiss those westsiders who'd like to see the museum move over to Pennsylvania, but some of us with eastside roots would appreciate some love thrown into the old neighborhood sometimes!

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 13,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
. These buildings should be torn down; then the lots can be a green field or redeveloped.

Tear them down, have a clean slate, that is better than letting them sit.
Who do you propose should pay for this demolition? It cost around 10 Grand to demolish and haul away 1 row home. And before you say the property owner should, I'll tell you that the city is the owner of many of these vacant properties.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 PM

278 posts, read 1,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
Has demolition started on the ill-fated homes that will be replaced by that huge museum complex? I believe for the Blacks in Wax. Im glad something is being done but those homes are so nice.

I think this is a great idea as I have recommended the museum to many people, however the neighborhood always scares them away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: