Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 15,392 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I moved to Baltimore (near Hampden) a few months ago. Since then we have been in search of a Mexican place like Rio Grande, but have been unsuccessful. Rio has tacos made with ground beef (not steak), a bit of grease, free chips and salsa (kind of thin), and the tacos are about 3 for $6. We've only been able to find Tex Mex, authentic or shredded steak places. Rio type Mexican probably doesn't sound as good, but it's a bit of home and good for the soul. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Try El Salto in Brooklyn Park or Parkville.... Greasy and cheap!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Best Mexican by far so far that I've tried in BMore is Torterilla Sinaloa. They make all their shells and chips from scratch. The meats they use for the tacos are superbly seasoned and cooked, and the sauces are made from scratch. Out of this world good. You might pay $8-10 for 3 tacos, but they're well worth it!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
El Salto is definitely what you're looking for.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
El Salto is definitely what you're looking for.
I love La Tortilleria Sinaloa (1700 block of Eastern Ave, Upper Fells Pt, cash only), but it definitely sounds like the OP woudl prefer El Salto (one in Brooklyn to the south, one off Perring Pkwy & Joppa Rd justoutside 695 to the north of Hamden).

For the record, tacos vary from $3 to $4 at La Tortilleria each. Thier Huevos con Chorizo is pretty damn good too.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
I love La Tortilleria Sinaloa (1700 block of Eastern Ave, Upper Fells Pt, cash only), but it definitely sounds like the OP woudl prefer El Salto (one in Brooklyn to the south, one off Perring Pkwy & Joppa Rd justoutside 695 to the north of Hamden).

For the record, tacos vary from $3 to $4 at La Tortilleria each. Thier Huevos con Chorizo is pretty damn good too.

It's in Carney, north of Hamilton

Yeah Sinaola is darn good. But when I want to drink about 60 oz of Dos Equis and eat 5 lbs of chips & queso, it's el salto all the way!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's in Carney, north of Hamilton

Yeah Sinaola is darn good. But when I want to drink about 60 oz of Dos Equis and eat 5 lbs of chips & queso, it's el salto all the way!
That's right, Carney. We used to go to that one when we lived in Lauraville, thanks!

Yes, LA Tortilleria Sinaloa is small, no alcohol. Sometimes folks bring their own. A Christmas Eve tradition of recent vintage for a good buddy and I is to hit La Tortilleria in the early afternoon, thusly fortified hit Max's for some Belgian beers and then by stocking stuffers at Soundgarden, Amuse and other places along the way in Fells, a great day for sure. My kids love the steak tacos there as well, we go once a week on teh way to the gym to swim from school.

My favorite dish at El Salto is the Tacos de Carne Asada, comes with a house made tomatillo salsa that is hot and tasty; I eat the tacos w/ as much salsa as I can handle over my beans and rice, mop that up with tortilla chips, ice cold Dos Equis lager in a frosted mug, lay back and enjoy the uber full feeling. El Salto's beans taste like they use real lard in them, the way they are supposed to be (can't eat that way every day though...).

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
That's right, Carney. We used to go to that one when we lived in Lauraville, thanks!

Yes, LA Tortilleria Sinaloa is small, no alcohol. Sometimes folks bring their own. A Christmas Eve tradition of recent vintage for a good buddy and I is to hit La Tortilleria in the early afternoon, thusly fortified hit Max's for some Belgian beers and then by stocking stuffers at Soundgarden, Amuse and other places along the way in Fells, a great day for sure. My kids love the steak tacos there as well, we go once a week on teh way to the gym to swim from school.

My favorite dish at El Salto is the Tacos de Carne Asada, comes with a house made tomatillo salsa that is hot and tasty; I eat the tacos w/ as much salsa as I can handle over my beans and rice, mop that up with tortilla chips, ice cold Dos Equis lager in a frosted mug, lay back and enjoy the uber full feeling. El Salto's beans taste like they use real lard in them, the way they are supposed to be (can't eat that way every day though...).
Thanks to your description, the wife and I just decided - el salto this weekend! (she's driving).

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 15,392 times
Thanks for the responses! We're definitely going to be checking out El Salto. It sounds right up our alley.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 AM

I hope you guys enjoy El Salto - I'm sure you will. They do get busy on weekend nights, just FYI. Also, it is kid friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore