Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

As a native, I'm so effin' ashamed at the "lack of intelligence and sophistication" many Baltimoreans (and Marylanders in general) display within their everyday life activities. This cuts through all ethnicities, socioeconomic, age, religion and gender classes. With all of Baltimore's various collegiate, medical and scientific institutions that surround it, her natives are some of the most ignorant, non-wanting to know people that I've had the unfortunate pleasure of living amongst for the past 20+ years. People who could care less about education, learning or information, that can make significant changes in their daily lives. Isn't knowledge still power? AND YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A WORLD CLASS CITY??!! GTFOH with that BS!!!

I've resided in so many parts of the city/state, and have noticed, and continue to witness the ignorance spewed from the faces of misinformed individuals. People who claim to have so much "love and pride" about Baltimore, Maryland, but don't know tiddlywink about their OWN communities in which they dwell (history). So then, you proceed to engage them about this and you get called "uppity" and "know-it-all." Who has time for such garbage??!

Who gives a damn about a Super Bowl if you and your child can't read or write??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Surprisingly to say, some of the most ignorant ones are the individuals with degrees and multiple degrees. They are some of the most vision-less, complacent and apathetic group of people I've come across.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I recently met someone who has lived in Canton for over 10 years and has never been to the BMA and didn't know where it was located. Nor did he know about the dell off of Charles in front of the museum. To top it all off, he is a real estate agent. I was amazed!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM

727 posts, read 1,533,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Surprisingly to say, some of the most ignorant ones are the individuals with degrees and multiple degrees. They are some of the most vision-less, complacent and apathetic group of people I've come across.
You want sophistication? Move to DC! Baltimore is a blue collar, meat-and-potatoes kind of city. I have advanced degrees, and I'd fit in better in Baltimore than I would in DC. We're talking about a city that gave us John Waters, and you want everyone to be all hoity-toity? You need to GTFOH.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,890 times
Default Attend

You could attend createbaltimore tomorrow to meet other people interested in improving the city (and perhaps stop belly-aching and work to change things).
Create Baltimore | February 16, 2013

Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
As a native, I'm so effin' ashamed at the "lack of intelligence and sophistication" many Baltimoreans (and Marylanders in general) display within their everyday life activities. This cuts through all ethnicities, socioeconomic, age, religion and gender classes. With all of Baltimore's various collegiate, medical and scientific institutions that surround it, her natives are some of the most ignorant, non-wanting to know people that I've had the unfortunate pleasure of living amongst for the past 20+ years. People who could care less about education, learning or information, that can make significant changes in their daily lives. Isn't knowledge still power? AND YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A WORLD CLASS CITY??!! GTFOH with that BS!!!

I've resided in so many parts of the city/state, and have noticed, and continue to witness the ignorance spewed from the faces of misinformed individuals. People who claim to have so much "love and pride" about Baltimore, Maryland, but don't know tiddlywink about their OWN communities in which they dwell (history). So then, you proceed to engage them about this and you get called "uppity" and "know-it-all." Who has time for such garbage??!

Who gives a damn about a Super Bowl if you and your child can't read or write??
No, its people who COULDN'T care less.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 PM

349 posts, read 990,985 times
You bring up a very good point.

I was shocked to see Baltimore rated #14 on the most educated list, almost the same as NYC: Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents - Graphic - NYTimes.com

My experience in Baltimore, however, is of a far more 'backwater' variety. No offense to anyone. I used to work for one of the most prominent IT/finance firms in Baltimore and my co-workers were literally hillbillies who couldn't talk about anything other than sports or video games. Also, they would literally burp and fart in front of everyone, LOL.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I was shocked to see Baltimore rated #14 on the most educated list, ...
... just behind Provo, Utah. O.K., chuck that list, it's worthless. (Ever spend a week in Provo one night?)

Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
If you accept people for who they are you won't be disappointed by their lack of intelligence etc. Just find like minded people and keep it moving.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM

513 posts, read 961,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
You want sophistication? Move to DC! Baltimore is a blue collar, meat-and-potatoes kind of city. I have advanced degrees, and I'd fit in better in Baltimore than I would in DC. We're talking about a city that gave us John Waters, and you want everyone to be all hoity-toity? You need to GTFOH.
Sure. Lets have all the intelligent responsbile cultured people move out of bmore. Was that you I saw near Sargeant St on Sat with the blunt and bag with cheap liquer hanging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: