Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times

Advertisements

In my opinion East Baltimore look more blighted, is crime also higher? Has there been or is there any revitalization plans for these distressed areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:41 PM

84 posts, read 276,240 times
Yes! The plan is the city sits back and hopes the dealers in East Bmore will annihilate each other and when the area is completely vacant they will bulldoze it and sell it to Hopkins.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM

257 posts, read 457,885 times
South Bmore....

Old 02-08-2011, 08:18 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times
I've lived on Westside so I have to say that's worst. But it looks like they are trying to fix it up, and it's not looking too bad. I would not go back of course. Maybe it will be better in a few years.

Don't have a lot of experience with east side except when I was younger and we would drive through some neighborhoods, there was always a smell of stink bombs and rotten eggs.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
The question should be which one is worse than bad Seriously, it depends on your poison or your tolerance for "city life" . I have met people who have grown up in Sandtown-Winchester that would not set foot in Mid East or Oliver and visa versa. I dont live in either area.. but I feel more comfortable in West Baltimore.. just because Im more familiar with it as part of my daily commute/routine. I know what areas to avoid and what areas are "ok". Less so on the Eastside.. though I do go to that area also on occasion.. particuliarly Patterson Park.

If I had to guess which area that you may be " more likely to get knocked over the head and robbed in".. I would think your chances may be greater in East than in West (no scientific research.. just gut and experience and you certainly could get robbed in either or anywhere else for that matter) Simply because Eastsiders involved in the criminal enterprises have more areas to plunder within close proximity of their haunts/hood (i.e. Canton, Hopkins, Patterson Park, Fell Pt. etc) and may find easy prey among those that frequent those areas. The Westside is more isolated.. seems to have more vacant areas so people tend to hang in certain areas/blocks. If you venture in from the outside you may be viewed with more suspicion as being FIVE O as opposed to a possible "target" though you certainly can move down the food chain quickly depending or your actions...just passing through.. may be ok.. hanging around with no one or no purpose... you may have issues.

. I do think that East Baltimore is probably "positioned" better to improve than West if the EDBI@ Hopkins and the Canton/Fells Point/Butchers Hill stuff continues to March north towards the Amtrak Corridor/North Ave. West Baltimore... other than right around the MARC Station, Union Square, Washington Village, and UM Tech Center doesnt really have much to drive development. Ironically as East Baltimore empties out /gentrifies.. I think that sections NE Baltimore may become worse....

Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,227 times
Perhaps you should narrow down the neighborhoods you're interested in instead of asking which quarter of the city is worse.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 AM

19 posts, read 86,249 times
I've lived in both and can tell you West Baltimore is much worse than East Baltimore.

Thank God I don't live in Baltimore anymore.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Perhaps you should narrow down the neighborhoods you're interested in instead of asking which quarter of the city is worse.
Poppleton, Harlem Park vs Oliver, and the areas around the American Brewery.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

226 posts, read 363,653 times
i've in the worst areas of both and can honestly say it basically the same. i grew up near lexington terrace projects and now i live over east near greenmount ave and i dont really see a difference, if anything both sides are getting much better because i remember back in the day some areas the mta wouldnt even drive through like murphy homes but now most public housing projects are being transitioned out. but if i had a gun to my head i'd pick east bmore as worst simply bcuz east baltimore is more populous then west so they have more young people whom are getting into trouble...

Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The question should be which one is worse than bad Seriously, it depends on your poison or your tolerance for "city life" . I have met people who have grown up in Sandtown-Winchester that would not set foot in Mid East or Oliver and visa versa. I dont live in either area.. but I feel more comfortable in West Baltimore.. just because Im more familiar with it as part of my daily commute/routine. I know what areas to avoid and what areas are "ok". Less so on the Eastside.. though I do go to that area also on occasion.. particuliarly Patterson Park.

If I had to guess which area that you may be " more likely to get knocked over the head and robbed in".. I would think your chances may be greater in East than in West (no scientific research.. just gut and experience and you certainly could get robbed in either or anywhere else for that matter) Simply because Eastsiders involved in the criminal enterprises have more areas to plunder within close proximity of their haunts/hood (i.e. Canton, Hopkins, Patterson Park, Fell Pt. etc) and may find easy prey among those that frequent those areas. The Westside is more isolated.. seems to have more vacant areas so people tend to hang in certain areas/blocks. If you venture in from the outside you may be viewed with more suspicion as being FIVE O as opposed to a possible "target" though you certainly can move down the food chain quickly depending or your actions...just passing through.. may be ok.. hanging around with no one or no purpose... you may have issues.

. I do think that East Baltimore is probably "positioned" better to improve than West if the EDBI@ Hopkins and the Canton/Fells Point/Butchers Hill stuff continues to March north towards the Amtrak Corridor/North Ave. West Baltimore... other than right around the MARC Station, Union Square, Washington Village, and UM Tech Center doesnt really have much to drive development. Ironically as East Baltimore empties out /gentrifies.. I think that sections NE Baltimore may become worse....

This is why I am concerned about NE Baltimore.. To date this area has a third of the City's homicides.. Coldstream Montebello also was one of the (as the City Paper described) most Murderous Neighborhoods in 2010. I dont know if it has always been this way or if it is attributed to the gentrification of East Baltimore
Police investigate seventh homicide of year in Northeast Baltimore district - baltimoresun.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore