Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

In the next few months, I plan to move to the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area in search of employment. I am a certified nuclear medicine technologist and soon-to-be certified CT technologist. (My dream job is to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital )

How would the commute to either Baltimore or D.C. be if I were to find an apartment in Laurel/Odenton/Columbia? How safe are these areas?

If anyone knows of nuclear medicine or CT tech jobs in the area, please fill me in! I have submitted numerous online applications, but haven't had any success since I just graduated this past May.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
The commute to DC will be a nightmare. I'd drive to the Greenbelt Metro station and commute by rail. Even still you are looking at about a 1.5 hour one way trip (including driving to the station and park) and you will have to deal with very crowded rail cars.
If you land a job in DC and can afford it live in the city or someplace close to the Metro system. Driving in the city is a major pain.

Baltimore will be much better for commuting from those areas but I suggest to live in the city or somewhere closer like Catonsville or Ellicott City.
Columbia won't be too bad. Baltimore and Laurel has bad areas, especially Baltimore. Be careful and check out the neighborhoods.
Same goes for living in DC.

The DC Metro system is one of the best on the country but it has it's problems, especially crowded rush times. The one in Baltimore pales in comparison.
www.metroopensdoors.com

MARC train links both cities and may be useful to you:
http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

Last edited by John13; 12-01-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Howard County General Hospital in Columbia is part of the Johns Hopkins Hospital system. That might be an option with a short commute if you live in Columbia or Laurel or even Odenton.

Most of Columbia is quite safe. If you can get a map that identifies the areas with subsidized housing and stay out of those areas, you'll be fine. Most of them seem to be in the areas near the older village centers. The portion of Laurel that is in Howard County is mostly safe. Odenton has some safe areas but much of it is not really very attractive.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTPaige View Post
How would the commute to either Baltimore or D.C. be
if I were to find an apartment in Laurel/Odenton/Columbia?
If there is some reason that is drawing you to those suburbanish areas to live...
then focus the "find a job" effort in those area as well.

Quote:
I plan to move to the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area in search of employment.
I am a certified nuclear medicine technologist and soon-to-be certified CT technologist.
(My dream job is to work at Johns Hopkins Hospital )
Good luck.
Be sure you have the correct certs and licensing.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:53 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
The firs thing you must do and I am sure you know this is to look at your budget. Columbia, Laurel and all these spots are much more expensive to live in than Baltimore City (neighborhood pending). You then got to re-think about your mental toughness regarding Baltimore City living. You don't have to be tuff like a fighter, but you have to have a certain personality to live in the city. Even in the "nice" area's are victims of targeted robberies, burglaries, ect. This is not to scare you but its realistic. Chances are you would be just fine in the city, but you want to make sure its the right fit for you. And honestly, you must check mark these.

1) Are you comfortable in an majority african american population?

2) Are you okay with one of the worse rated police departments in the land?

3) Can you live in a city with a very high crime rate with over 215 murders a year for a population of 600,000?

4) Will you risk your vehicle in the reckless driving of the city? (DC as well)

But on the other hand...

1) Will you take advantage of Baltimore Cities grant programs for homes in transition neighborhoods?

2) Will you use the wonderful train to DC or your work place?

3) Will you contribute to the growth of the city?

I love my city but i'm just being straight up about things. I don't want you ( especially with kids) living in a situation you will not enjoy. There are great neighborhoods in Baltimore City and the city has some unique night life. It just has to make sense.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I don't know about "mental toughness" required to live in Baltimore City but rents are significantly higher in Laurel, Columbia and virtually anywhere in Howard County than the City. Commutes to/from Baltimore to Howard County are very doable. Commutes to D.C., even from Howard County is not something I would ever undertake. There are so many hospitals in Baltimore that I think work would be relatively easy to find. There are plenty of neigborhoods both in the city and surrounding counties that are safe. Traffic here is extremely bad so, consider how much daily aggravation you want to accept before deciding where to live. The closer you live to your work the better. Best of luck.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I don't know about "mental toughness" required to live in Baltimore City but rents are significantly higher in Laurel, Columbia and virtually anywhere in Howard County than the City. Commutes to/from Baltimore to Howard County are very doable. Commutes to D.C., even from Howard County is not something I would ever undertake. There are so many hospitals in Baltimore that I think work would be relatively easy to find. There are plenty of neigborhoods both in the city and surrounding counties that are safe. Traffic here is extremely bad so, consider how much daily aggravation you want to accept before deciding where to live. The closer you live to your work the better. Best of luck.
Not everybody can handle driving through blocks and blocks of poverty and hood to get to each and every destination. Some folks from Maryland won't even drive through the city or stop off at a gas station without the fear of being robbed. That alone is one reason why one has to be mentally tough if they want to make a residence in Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore