Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

The social along with the economic institutions in these neighborhoods are broken.. the First thing that needs to be explored is how to go about rebuilding this infrastructure.. Churches, Neighborhood Association, not for profit organizations that operate in these areas need to stop fighting over scarce resources and work *gasp* together and not with their own hidden agenda on HOW to improve the community in a manner that only benefits their orgainzation ( the example I like is a $100k grant going to a community organization.. $95k goes to the executive director and staff thus only $5k for the actual program).. The City could be a partner and even a facilitator in these efforts but certainly cannot do it alone. Same organizations need to step in and serve as a mediator between the Police and the teens/young adults in the community. If said organizations and adults dont have a positive relationship with the BPD how the hell can anyone expect the teens/young adults to? Does this mean throw millions of dollars in building brand new community centers? No not necessarily. Programs that are working need to be expanded.. those that aint.. ended. Facility enhancements should be strategic and program outputs stressed.

The economic front needs to work in conjunction with the above. Housing Rehab through Habitat or even YouthBuilds where rowhomes could be rehabbed by the participants and then sold to families who invest the sweat equity should be expanded...with the large inventory of vacants owned by the City.. there should be more than enough to rebuild neighborhoods.. Support services like childcare/daycare expanded where needed. And no one can down play the needs for jobs and educational programs even if the educational programs are vocational in nature.. I dont want to sound like Rick Santorum.."What a Snob" swipe at Obama.. but the take away is that not everyone is going to go to college and those that dont can still find productive careers in the trades..if we can make sure that they are trained and connected with those trade jobs.

I know that I am oversimplifying it.. but we need to start REWARDING people for doing the right thing and not PENALIZING them.. if you get a job, are working, raising your family and need some additional assistance.. then it should be provided. Also, if you are part of a community and are on public assistance.. there should be some expectation of "community service" or civic involvement that is required to remain on this public assistance. What that is should be up to the agency/locality so that it can be tailored to the needs of that community. Whether its volunteering at a community center (WHERE YOUR CHILD ATTENDS SCHOOL), participating in a neighborhood clean up (WHERE YOU LIVE WHETHER YOU RENT OR OWN) and related community benefits.. It amazes me that Cities often ask developers to provide some form of public benefit in exchange for the use of taxpayer dollars.. I think we should make the same request of those who are on public assistance as well... What is the public benefit for you being on this assistance? If you are being a productive member of the community, maintaining your home, involved in community affairs, paticipating on thing such as crime watch.. Police Athletic League etc.. You should be REWARDED with additional assistance as needed.

Seems like the system is broken and working in reverse...because it REWARDs folks who are doing the opposite. The same way that these programs created dependency.. they can be modified to encourage independence and civic engagement in a way that everyone benefits....I cant imagine a Republic or Democrat that would be against a program that was actually helping people who are productive members of society and rewarding them for building and participating in community.... The return to society.. is fixed up neighborhoods, lower crime, well cared for children, stronger neighborhoods, taxpaying citizens which benefits all of us....

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-18-2015 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
Allow open carry for law-abiding citizens.

CCW for any law-abiding citizens who want one.

Let's see if this would turn the city into the next Twin Peaks or something more civilized.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
Allow open carry for law-abiding citizens.

CCW for any law-abiding citizens who want one.

Let's see if this would turn the city into the next Twin Peaks or something more civilized.
I am a supporter of open carry but in Baltimore? It would just give reasons for criminals to start shooting. But I would feel much better anyway.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I am a supporter of open carry but in Baltimore? It would just give reasons for criminals to start shooting. But I would feel much better anyway.
Baltimore barely has open carry now. Criminals shoot people anyway. In a state with some of the strictest gun laws in the USA, Baltimore is in the top 10 for murder rates in cities of 250,000+ people. Stricter gun laws don't stop criminals at all. Anyone who has a violent attitude and a "live by the sword die by the sword" mentality won't care about laws, period.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Not sure what can be done but I truly hope there is something out there to solve this issue.
Baltimore has so much potential and so much going for itself that could make it a great place to live.
It's close to the sea, has a great harbor, close to Washington D.C. and other good cities on east coast in general, 2 major sport teams, great and walkable downtown and is quire affordable for it (Of course part of that is most likely because it is less desirable because of the issues).
I have been to Baltimore 3 times in the past when visiting friends in Gaithersburg and always had a good time but I just wouldn't want to live there, not in the condition the city is in currently anyway.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:18 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Baltimore barely has open carry now. Criminals shoot people anyway. In a state with some of the strictest gun laws in the USA, Baltimore is in the top 10 for murder rates in cities of 250,000+ people. Stricter gun laws don't stop criminals at all. Anyone who has a violent attitude and a "live by the sword die by the sword" mentality won't care about laws, period.
And how many of these shootings in Baltimore are innocent bystanders? Very little.

No one has advocated for stricter gun laws but lets look at the events last month in Baltimore. All the guns in the city were on the hips of trained professionals and that did absolutely nothing to prevent the mayhem through out the city. I have no problem with open carry but just so you know, the criminals will know about this law too, and will be more open to cause harm.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM

138 posts, read 164,188 times
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/nation...icle-1.2235531

Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
And how many of these shootings in Baltimore are innocent bystanders? Very little.

No one has advocated for stricter gun laws but lets look at the events last month in Baltimore. All the guns in the city were on the hips of trained professionals and that did absolutely nothing to prevent the mayhem through out the city. I have no problem with open carry but just so you know, the criminals will know about this law too, and will be more open to cause harm.
Your kidding, right? You don't think those bad guys had a gun or two hidden somewhere? They don't leave home without one.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:51 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
Baltimore Crime Is Off The Charts. Guess Who Is To Blame? | Black America Web

Baltimore we have a problem!
And I’m not talking about police excessive force or the shooting of unarmed black men.
The numbers are startling.
In just 72 hours, this past Memorial Weekend 29 people were shot, 7 were killed.
This month is the city’s deadliest in more than a decade, since 1999.
There have been 108 homicides so far this year, up 40 percent from last year.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
What do you mean, give them reasons to start shooting? Seems that is one thing they are not lacking now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore