Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

I know I know we need clinics to serve Baltimore's recovering drug adicts.. I get that.. The challenge is when an area is saturated with them and/or possibly taking a turn for better only to have a poorly managed one dropped smack dab in the middle.. Station North/Old Goucher/Harwood/Lower Charles Village, Washington Village/Pigtown, Union Square, Seton Hill/Westside are all areas that have seen a positive growth that is being stifled by the proliferation of clinics... This article highlights one community that has had enough. Granted they have to go somewhere and most people dont want them in their neighborhood. Others have suggested light industrial areas.. but these are generally far from transit which is the foundations of why many of these areas were/are selected in the first place... Dont know what the answers are.. will be interesting to see how the politics plays out.. Well funded clinic.. or mad as hell/fed up neighborhood.. Should be an interesting public hearing...

Planned drug treatment clinic in Harwood sparks conflict - baltimoresun.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
I live just a couple of blocks from the proposed clinic and about four blocks from the other clinics. What the community finds particularly interesting about this proposed clinic is that the developers make very little effort to claim that the clinic is supposed to serve our community. They know that we already have almost as many clinic slots as residents.

Instead, the developers have their eye on clients from Northeast Baltimore. It is also interesting that they claim that there are plenty of bus routes near the proposed clinic since the buses from Northeast (3,15,19,36,47,104) will (at best) drop the clients a half mile away.

The developers simply see us as a politically weak area that can be easily dumped on. We will see... But one thing is for sure, this is about big profits and not about people in need.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
Perhaps if the addiction industry ever acknowledges that -- feeding addicts methadone rather than providing abstinence based treatment targeting recovery benefits no one except the clinic owners, things will change. In the meantime, expect more "treatment" on every corner.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
yeah.. that is the biggest disappointment about the City Politics..The City Politicos will sheet on their neighborhoods just to make a buck or a politically $$ ally. Again, Im not saying clinics are not needed but we have to be careful on where we place them. Bus Lines can be rerouted, shuttles created.. But neighborhood deterioration can happen overnight while while neighborhood improvement can take decades to happen/reverse. Stations North is moving in the right direction.. why in the world would the City in its quest to gain 10,000 new residents allow this to happen is beyond me.... unless they want those 10,000 new residents to be addicts from the County.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Effin' junkies everywhere!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:20 AM

687 posts, read 915,205 times
The vast majority of "non"-profits are scams. They are quite profitable for those running the show. Be very, very weary. Those that skim off of taxpayer funding from state, local or even the federal government are even worse that those that simply solicit donations.

Be especially careful of any "help the veterans" scams. I'm a vet by the way. They are simply playing off of your sympathy, and are out to poach your wallet.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:01 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
The vast majority of "non"-profits are scams. They are quite profitable for those running the show. Be very, very weary. Those that skim off of taxpayer funding from state, local or even the federal government are even worse that those that simply solicit donations.

Be especially careful of any "help the veterans" scams. I'm a vet by the way. They are simply playing off of your sympathy, and are out to poach your wallet.
I just have to this guy (@ Giant) who was running a homeless veterans shelter. Hope it was legit.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I live just a couple of blocks from the proposed clinic and about four blocks from the other clinics. What the community finds particularly interesting about this proposed clinic is that the developers make very little effort to claim that the clinic is supposed to serve our community. They know that we already have almost as many clinic slots as residents.

Instead, the developers have their eye on clients from Northeast Baltimore. It is also interesting that they claim that there are plenty of bus routes near the proposed clinic since the buses from Northeast (3,15,19,36,47,104) will (at best) drop the clients a half mile away.

The developers simply see us as a politically weak area that can be easily dumped on. We will see... But one thing is for sure, this is about big profits and not about people in need.
I regret to have to report that the proposed clinic near my house has received its license and will open soon. Since the clinic is licensed for 1,200 patients and has no parking for any of them I expect a mob scene on the streets around the clinic. I don't even understand how they can dose them all considering they only have a 32 person waiting room and they will be dosing 250 people an hour during the morning rush. This is going to be crazy! I also worry that the nearby bus line won't be able to carry the extra load causing backups at the bus stops.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they will be able to get up to 1,200 patients. Their strategy is to recruit at competing clinics by offering incentive to switch. I can imagine a "Dose with us and get a free color TV!" kind of pitch. The other nearby clinics aren't full, so there isn't unlimited local demand. Needless to say, the other nearby clinics are not happy about this new and aggressive competitor! In fact, this clinic will nearly double the area patient capacity to just under 3,000. Since the City recently estimated the number of heroin addicts living in the city at 19,000 (and that includes many that are currently on Methadone maintenance,) it would seem that the demand in a small area (about 1/2 square mile) wouldn't be unlimited. The City already has 11,000 Methadone treatments slots.

Anyway, the police are well aware of what is going to happen. We hope to have them busting the gaggle of dealers that will gather around the clinic on day one. Still, a police response is a losing battle. A huge percentage of Methadone patients use illegal drugs while they are in treatment. What better place to buy them than where you go every day?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:19 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Hahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahhaahahahahahaha! LOL!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:21 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I regret to have to report that the proposed clinic near my house has received its license and will open soon. Since the clinic is licensed for 1,200 patients and has no parking for any of them I expect a mob scene on the streets around the clinic. I don't even understand how they can dose them all considering they only have a 32 person waiting room and they will be dosing 250 people an hour during the morning rush. This is going to be crazy! I also worry that the nearby bus line won't be able to carry the extra load causing backups at the bus stops.

It will be interesting to see how quickly they will be able to get up to 1,200 patients. Their strategy is to recruit at competing clinics by offering incentive to switch. I can imagine a "Dose with us and get a free color TV!" kind of pitch. The other nearby clinics aren't full, so there isn't unlimited local demand. Needless to say, the other nearby clinics are not happy about this new and aggressive competitor! In fact, this clinic will nearly double the area patient capacity to just under 3,000. Since the City recently estimated the number of heroin addicts living in the city at 19,000 (and that includes many that are currently on Methadone maintenance,) it would seem that the demand in a small area (about 1/2 square mile) wouldn't be unlimited. The City already has 11,000 Methadone treatments slots.

Anyway, the police are well aware of what is going to happen. We hope to have them busting the gaggle of dealers that will gather around the clinic on day one. Still, a police response is a losing battle. A huge percentage of Methadone patients use illegal drugs while they are in treatment. What better place to buy them than where you go every day?
What area can I ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: