Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,431 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering buying a townhouse that was just "revitalized" in zip code 21224 (just off exit 11b from 895...near the corner of Ponca St and ODonnel St). Is this area safe? Would you recommend moving to this area or not?

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM

27 posts, read 185,057 times
It looks OK on the murder map, at least. And if nothing else, you'll have a short walk to Night Shift.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
That area is fine although I am not certain as to the exact location. I think it is in Canton or Brewers Hill which are both nice areas.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
This area is fine -- and on the cusp of a major revitalization. Are you buying one of the new Athena Square townhouses or something else?
In the 1920s and 1930s, this was a Finnish area. All those families are now gone (they had a hall that burned down decades ago). It is now undergoing a transition. To what? Hard to say. Banker Ed Hale, if he can weather the subprime blues, hopes to build hundreds of new units nearby.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:52 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,094 times
Default advice

I would recommend against moving to Baltimore period! But if you've already decided you are ready for it, then 21224 is better than some areas. Other posters won't tell you, but a man was murdered there last year walking home from Du Burns arena. If you talk to the SED police, they'll tell you murders are down in SE, but robberies and shootings are up. (hey, that's a positive) Regardless of the zip, you still have to put up with sub-standard city services, filthy streets, disgusting waterfront (in summer the smell is so bad it's unpleasant to walk along the Canton waterfront), no parking and the myriad of petty crimes that don't make the newspaper, but will make your life miserable.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 17,431 times
Yes, we are buying one of the new Athena Square townhouses. I'm really excited about it..they look really nice! I'm just nervous about moving to Baltimore (but my wife and I have to because of work). From what we could tell from driving around a little bit, the area didn't seem bad at all.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
Don't let Bawlmer's comments scare you. He has what some might call an apocalyptic view of the Baltimore experience, and though he is certainly entitled to his view, I don't think it's the norm. But it is city-living so that does factor in, but for me I don't do anything different than what I did when I lived in Chicago.

Anyway, I've done my living-in-Baltimore spiel before, so if you click on username in the top left corner of this post, you can view my previous posts on the subject. But to sum up, I live in 21224 near Patterson Park and very much enjoy it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 261,817 times
Yes, this is not a bad zip code at all - there is plenty within walking distance, and it's among the "nice" neighborhoods in Bmore city. I don't live far from where you are looking. But that block is RIGHT off the highway, so you'd have noice and there's not much of a neighborhood over there. I would suggest finding a place on the other side of conkling street, but odonnell street is a good spot just nothing but gas stations over there by ponca. Search the opposite side of the Natty Bo sign and nothing north of eastern ave. There is still crime - but it's everywhere. This neighborhood, Canton/Brewer's Hill along with Federal Hill and Fells Point are all decent neighborhoods with city sites/fun/restaurants/bars/parks within walking distances.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,094 times
Helenejen, I think it's unfair for you to advise a poster to disregard my point of view. I could easily say, "Pay no attention to Helenjen. She's extremely naive." The poster should be scared. I count 12 homicides in 21224 in 2007 (Baltimore Sun)Baltimore Homicides - baltimoresun.com That's a lot for such a small area. I encourage the poster to check it out. Also check out the BPD interactive crime maps for his neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,375 times
Bawlmer, I didn't say "disregard" your views; I said, "Don't let Bawlmer's comments scare you." Living in a city is living in a city, and living in the suburbs doesn't put you in some safety bubble. I've been mugged in Chicago; had my car broken into twice in Chicago and once in the Chicago suburbs; had my apartment broken into in Iowa; was assaulted in Florence, Italy; watched my mother get mugged in Rome; and a woman, Hazel Lewis, whom I knew in Chicago a number of years ago, was killed in November by someone who strangled her and then set her body on fire in a dumpster (cbs2chicago.com - Police Identify Woman Found Strangled, Burned (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/woman.strangled.burned.2.594463.html - broken link)). (And the person who killed her, though unknown at this point, did this to another woman a couple days before.)

I hardly think my experiences make me naive, but I do have expectations that are in keeping with living in a urban environment and know that living in the suburbs doesn't put you in some safety bubble. The world is a screwed up place most of the time. Live your life and try and enjoy it. I haven't been the victim of anything in Baltimore, but I can't say that I won't be at some point. But I'm hard pressed of thinking of anyone, anywhere who can say that s/he will never be victimized in some way.

Also, you'll notice from the crime map that those homicides are in notorious drug-activity areas and not in the neighborhoods of Patterson Park or Canton. And the one at the edge of Butchers Hill was drug-related.

Last edited by helenejen; 01-09-2008 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: