Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:29 PM

580 posts, read 777,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
2) You mean in the spirit of calling Obama fascist/nazi/muslim/commie/anti-christ? I'm not talking about political beliefs, I'm talking about people who choose to ignore facts, science, and history, and have bias that are borderline racist.
Then you should have said "people who choose to ignore facts, science, and history, and have bias that are borderline racist". That is much different from "Holocaust Denier".

BTW it's borderline racist to call Obama a communist? But it's ok for me to call Stennie Hoyer one? So it's racist/homophobic for you to call Marco Rubio a teabagger?

Ok whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

206 posts, read 797,735 times
Default Vaccinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
FWIW

1) Vaccine waivers are widely distributed in blue, red states. Not sure if Jenny Mccarthy is a liberal or conservative, but she is an idiot more than anything else.
Vaccine avoiders put California at risk - San Francisco Chronicle
Has there not been studies of control groups who have not been vaccinated versus a control group who have? What are the autism rates? What are the autism rates of the Amish.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:41 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,037 times
The Wrong Way to Revitalize a City - In These Times -- ALEC & CBAs

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/0...neighborhoods/ -- SRB still wants to give the city away

These two articles both depict the struggles in Baltimore and that the lack of leadership keeps it flailing.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:02 PM

406 posts, read 485,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
Interesting article....

Why Baltimore is in such bad shape

Apparently it states the following....

1. The mean IQ of Black Baltimore public school students is around 76, however their parents IQ is most likely lower due to a phenomena "regression towards the mean". The mean IQ of white inner-city public school students is around 86. This resulting population is almost void of any human capital that can benefit (fix) the city.

2. Baltimore lacks the intellectual ability to function at a normal level. Very anti police. The City Council president has only a H.S. Diploma.

3. The solution this article suggest is to is to promote and encourage the immigration of those that would improve the human capital of Baltimore.
Why is Baltimore in such bad shape? Maybe it has something to do with the Federal Government subsidizing suburban development after WWII. Yeah, as a matter of fact that's probably the biggest reason.

I would make the argument though that Baltimore is really not in bad shape at all - the worst days are behind us. On the contrary for all the suburban heads - can the same be said for your jurisdiction? The suburban counties are already beginning to face the same problems that Baltimore City has been dealing with for decades: aging infrastructure, declining schools, increased poverty, etc. As time progresses this will only get worse because the suburban counties were developed less densely - meaning there's essentially 3 times as many roads, sewers, utility lines that will need to be maintained without 3 times the population. Economically speaking many of the outer ring suburbs are approaching the reality of becoming obsolete - an ill advised 20th Century concept with no focus on conservation in a world with increasingly finite resources.

Its well documented that nationally major cities are on the upswing while many suburban areas are gripping with a lot of problems that didn't exist within their jurisdictions 30 years ago. Young educated professionals are moving to cities - the key for places like Baltimore is to make the place more livable for families.

The article/blog post the OP linked at the top is probably the worst thing I've read all year. A lot of hot air and big words with absolutely no substance. I shouldn't be surprised though considering its from a website linked to conservative am talk shows. Somebody should do a study that involves giving the am talk show hosts a lie detector test and investigating the average IQ of each listener. I can assure you there won't be many bright bulbs.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Why is Baltimore in such bad shape? Maybe it has something to do with the Federal Government subsidizing suburban development after WWII. Yeah, as a matter of fact that's probably the biggest reason.

I would make the argument though that Baltimore is really not in bad shape at all - the worst days are behind us. On the contrary for all the suburban heads - can the same be said for your jurisdiction? The suburban counties are already beginning to face the same problems that Baltimore City has been dealing with for decades: aging infrastructure, declining schools, increased poverty, etc. As time progresses this will only get worse because the suburban counties were developed less densely - meaning there's essentially 3 times as many roads, sewers, utility lines that will need to be maintained without 3 times the population. Economically speaking many of the outer ring suburbs are approaching the reality of becoming obsolete - an ill advised 20th Century concept with no focus on conservation in a world with increasingly finite resources.

Its well documented that nationally major cities are on the upswing while many suburban areas are gripping with a lot of problems that didn't exist within their jurisdictions 30 years ago. Young educated professionals are moving to cities - the key for places like Baltimore is to make the place more livable for families.

The article/blog post the OP linked at the top is probably the worst thing I've read all year. A lot of hot air and big words with absolutely no substance. I shouldn't be surprised though considering its from a website linked to conservative am talk shows. Somebody should do a study that involves giving the am talk show hosts a lie detector test and investigating the average IQ of each listener. I can assure you there won't be many bright bulbs.
Best post I've read on this forum in months.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, I believe our recent domestic energy boom will only serve to delay reintegrating those who find themselves on the wrong side of suburban sprawl. If we were smart, we would use these temporarily lower energy costs to make the transition less painful, but I fear real change won’t come until the spigot runs dry.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
You're a THINKER choccity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
The Wrong Way to Revitalize a City - In These Times -- ALEC & CBAs

“Food Deserts” Continue To Plague Poor Neighborhoods « CBS Baltimore -- SRB still wants to give the city away

These two articles both depict the struggles in Baltimore and that the lack of leadership keeps it flailing.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
"..I would make the argument though that Baltimore is really not in bad shape at all - the worst days are behind us."

*Not for Baltimore predominately Black communities! What universe are you living in?!!!

Quote:

Old 02-22-2015, 09:21 AM

580 posts, read 777,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflamezzz View Post
Has there not been studies of control groups who have not been vaccinated versus a control group who have? What are the autism rates? What are the autism rates of the Amish.

The original Lancet study demonstrating the risk between autism and vaccines was retracted once other groups could not replicate its' findings. It was subsequently learned the original author falsified data, and did not disclose his study was funded by legal groups seeking to bring a class-action against vaccine manufacturers.

The original author lost his medical license in the UK due to the above.

The author of the "Amish Anomaly" has been debunked; pediatricians in Lancaster have reported the Amish do in fact vaccinate their children, and Olmstead performed shoddy data collection, missing a number of autistic children in the community, thus raising autism prevalence similar to that in the US.

http://evilpossum.weebly.com/uploads...2709/amish.pdf

Anti-vaccination folks point to various debunked articles in support of their views, but neglect the reams of articles against their views.

Just look at it as a numbers game: the risk of a major reaction to a vaccine is 1 in 10,000. The risk of meningitis (with long-term cognitive disorders or death as major outcomes) from measles is 1-2 in 100 in a pediatric population.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM

687 posts, read 915,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
I think the author of this "article" has an IQ of about 60.

Why should it at all be "surprising" that white IQs in inner city schools are about the same as black inner city school IQs? As it even says further down in the post (after a bunch of other equally racist and ignorant drivel), the original poster clearly doesn't even understand what "regression to the mean" means. I am a biologist. All of that is pure bullcrap. Plain and simple.

Oh, I know, it's only surprising if you're racist and ignorant. Next topic.
No need to bash a person just for pointing out the truth. There are huge differences between Norway and Burkina Faso. Once we stop pretending that everyone is "the same" then we can start implementing viable solutions to our local, state, regional, and national problems here in the US.

Obviously there are individuals in any group who break the mold. There are outliers on both sides toward the lower and higher ends of the intelligence spectrum. However, this does not erase the fact that there are averages.

The best approach is to take individuals on an individual basis and treat them accordingly. We can all get along, but first we have to stop pretending that we're all just one big amorphous blob. It's ok to have differences, but we need to embrace them for our respective strengths and weaknesses rather than muddy the lines while still playing interest group politics which only causes division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore